Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 09:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,190 Posts

^^^ I am sure it will.

So it is true that speedline is now Ronal. I inspected the wheels yesterday and they are real and marked accordingly but also have ronal markings on the side vs the yellow speedline sticker. These have a June production date.

The following users liked this post:
spooky69 (03-30-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 07:58 PM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Great looking wheels @cobalt Have you got them on the car yet?

What size and offset?
Old 03-30-2022, 10:29 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

What a great looking wheel. Is it the repro s that sometimes retain water and drip from all those bolts or is my recall failing me.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear these are factory 3.6T wheels. 8 x 18 ET 52 and 10 x 18 ET 61. Apparently Speedline is now part of the Ronal Group and they mark them as I showed. They are otherwise identical to the wheels on my 94 turbo but are marked in the barrels with Ronal instead of speedline. Gasket has changed color from red to black but I don't think it makes a difference. AFAIK this was the last full set of painted centers available from Porsche world wide. I do not know if Ronal/Speedline Corse will continue to reproduce these.

Same wheels and marked with SPEEDLINE for PORSCHE as they all did. I must assume all new Cup I's will be marked similarly since Ronal/speedline makes them as well.

These are going on my 94 and my original are being put away and preserved. I believe 92/93 date stamps will become more valuable over time and I don't want my originals damaged.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:11 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 259 Posts

Interesting - I wasn't aware that Ronal had absorbed Speedline. Hard to see from your picture - do the bolt heads have the SL stamping? I know that Speedline had switched to the black gaskets several years ago - the 15 sets that I managed to have them produce all had black gaskets.

This will certainly make original Speedlines with the correct yellow stickers even more valuable. My set of original polished 3.6's are with Jim D now (should be ready soon).

Last edited by Nurburger; 03-31-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Nice. 15 sets is a considerable number. If you sourced them directly do they still have the etchings and factory part numbers? Someone told me if you send them back for repairs they can't apply the etching. I have no idea if that is true or not.

I don't have any other pictures for now but if they didn't have the ronal stamp on them I would not have had a clue to the acquisition or merger. All markings on the surface and heads of bolts are as before. The only give away is the production dates and the ronal stamp. I do notice they polish more of the lip around the sides than before.

The 8 or so sets and my RSR set I had were either 93 or 05 production. IMO these are better quality than what we had been seeing by 07. By then the junk remained and there were lots of QC issues like the lowercase 'i" in SPEEDLiNE or the blue cast bolts.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:58 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I believe 92/93 date stamps will become more valuable over time and I don't want my originals damaged.
I agree with you on the date stamps Anthony. Best to save the originals.
Ronal acquired Speedline in 2007, BTW. Speedline still produce wheels at their facility in Italy though.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:47 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice. 15 sets is a considerable number. If you sourced them directly do they still have the etchings and factory part numbers? Someone told me if you send them back for repairs they can't apply the etching. I have no idea if that is true or not.
Yes - all 15 sets had all of the correct etchings and part#'s. I put the deal together back in 2009 for 993 section and sold each set for around $4500 shipped (as I recall), which could be considered a bargain now. One set arrived with damage to a couple of the outer lips - this set was sent to Jim Dorociak to be rebuilt to fit my 993tt using wider Speedline outer lips.

If you ever need Speedlines restored I would only consider Jim D - he does a much better job than the factory and has the correct stickers, etchings, gaskets etc.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:36 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Very Nice

I helped Jim out when he was getting started. He had all sorts of issues with the polished centers and we worked it out. He does very nice work although IMO I can always tell as Jim's wheels usually look nicer than factory. Those look like the 993GT2 mag centred speedlines I had 12 or so years back. Loverly example but that can be said for all your cars.

I looked everything over and if it wasn't for the ronal stamp on the barrel I would have no idea Ronal was involved. They are the real deal but as I said more the reason to keep my original safe. These are far nicer than the sets from 05-07 that had issues. I was paying $4500 a set shipped back then these are now nearly $10k a set.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:49 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I had to post this as sometimes the simplest things can mess you up. I was fitting the 993 uprights I had originally installed on my 964 track car. I swapped those out for the RS/GT2 uprights and had these left over.

So for the longest I have been stumped how they worked on my track car but couldn't get them to fit on my C2. The 993 tie rod would not fit into the 993 upright. I looked it over and it looked correct but I kept wondering how it fit before and not now.

Then after countless frustrated hours of trying to find a solution it dawned on me that I had mounted tarrett tie rod ends on. the track car with these uprights but never drove the car with them. I then received the RS uprights and replaced them. I was wondering who lost parts from the tarrett tie rods but nobody knew anything. I had to order new tapered sleeves from tarrett which they kindly supplied for free. So apparently I found the sleeves and I owe them. They had embedded themselves in the 993 uprights. They looked so factory. I disassembled everything and had to somehow remove them. There is a shoulder on the narrow side so no way to access them. I just went to town with a punch and hammer. It damaged the sleeves but I don't need them. Problem solved finally. Funny when it is early and I am clear headed these solutions come so easily but late in the day I am clueless.

no harm no foul but what a PITA.

Tarett tapered sleeve I had to damage to remove but resolved the issue.

One side done now onto the other. Monday I am hoping to have the car aligned and corner balanced.
Old 04-04-2022, 11:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So this thread will be coming to a close soon. I put the finishing touches on it the other day. Still some minor things but I tend to leave small things for later which is not smart as I may forget to get back to them.

Once I am done with this I hope to move back over to the Blue Meanie thread and that cars progress or lack there of.

So I was fitting my front 993 uprights and when I went to mount the drop links found movement in my sway bar to longitudinal mounting. I wasn't planning on doing anything with the sway bar, but out it came. So what I found was that my stiffer sway bar and driving style has done damage to the sway bar mounts. Thankfully I had spares to compare them to but it would appear the mounts had stretched some 0.120".

Hard to see but the tab of the lower mount is all stretched and misshapen. It wasn't on my radar that this could happen but apparently it can. I run RS sways but that is a lot of force to bend these.

So I replaced the mounts and the drop links. I had the old RS drop links which won't work with the 993 uprights.

964 RS drop link up front and 993 behind. You can see the shape and length are different. The 993 unit bolts directly into the aluminum upright. Its mounting point is a bit higher on the upright. I plan to go with aftermarket parts in the future but for now these will do just fine.

I needed some zip ties and rummaging through my supplies I came across these. I am not sure where they came from and the part number is an actual Porsche part. I wonder if at a wholesale price of $0.64 ea makes these better than any quality zip ties. I wouldn't trust a package of HF ones at $1.10 but can these actually be better than most?

So everything is buttoned up. I will compile a list of everything I did and replaced on this car and yet there is still a lot of original bits.

All bolts and nuts checked for torque and marked except for those that will be adjusted in the alignment process.

I need to drive it a little to settle but I am looking for close to this ride height. It allows me to access most aprons and I can fit my blocks under it for my lift. Any lower for a streetcar IMO is too low at least around here.

A few small things to address like drivers speaker is not working and I need to mount the wiper arms today and some other smaller issues but that appears to be it. A long journey that should have been done a year and a half ago but was worth the wait. I hope to have some free time to work on fixing up the garage after all this but we will see. The cayman parts should be ready soon so that needs to be finished as well.

So once i have a list compiled of everything I did that was not included in this thread I guess it will be done and onto the next project.

So if I hadn't posted this I helped a friend bring over a gorgeous turbo. It is a very rare color combo and looks fantastic in person. Also the cup car is for sale as well. I have 2 interested buyers but if nothing happens soon I am thinking BaT.

Last edited by cobalt; 04-04-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:03 PM
pchap
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 35 Posts

So this thread will be coming to a close soon. I put the finishing touches on it the other day. Still some minor things but I tend to leave small things for later which is not smart as I may forget to get back to them.

So everything is buttoned up. I will compile a list of everything I did and replaced on this car and yet there is still a lot of original bits.
Very well-done! Thank you, Anthony, for sharing your build and knowledge with us.

Enjoy it in the best of health.
The following users liked this post:
cobalt (04-04-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 10:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I have no updates other than the car is at the dealership and I am waiting for access to the alignment rack which could be any day.

I was away last week and i wasn't sure where to share this but I figure here is as good a place as any.

I spent the later part of last week in Palm Springs at Frank Sinatra's Twin Palms estate for a friends Bday party. It was oppressively hot during the day but the cement structures, A/C and piano shaped pool made it tolerable.

I usually am not impressed by celebrities or politicians. I have met so many over the years they are just people like you and me some nice some not so much. But Sinatra was a very talented man and it shows in everything he did. His house (the first of several) was so well designed and it was so cool seeing pics of the Rat pack sitting in the same chairs hanging around the living room and pool. If only the walls could speak.

The house is now rented out from some holding company but they really did it justice. Some of his artwork on display. I grew up around people with lavish homes from that period but this was just a step beyond as I recall.

You can't change much as it is part of the National Register of Historic places but looking at photos and books on the architect you can see where things were changed and updated. Mostly because newer products available today that were all custom made back then.

Most of the nicer homes in Palm Springs are mini compounds all enclosed and private. The tour busses came around and you have to watch out for the overlookers as they call them. People trying to get a glimpse of the house.

Entering the living room I was just awe struck by this 1947 state of the art recording studio. Apparently he would record and transmit his voice over Shortwave radio. Just so cool and ahead of his time.

The original blue stone patio has been replaced with cement but the idea is the same. The house was split living which I like so his bedroom was to the left and Frank Jr and Nancy lived to the right.

View from his bedroom

I had to add this but Lucite is very in out there and I suspect this was not a thing back then but I designed nearly this exact lamp back in the 1970's in HS for my parents house. I actually designed other lucite items. The company I had manufacture them for me patented and sold without my knowledge.

His master bedroom fit for a king

I did not know he was a painter and his artwork was hanging on the walls.

Photos all over the house with huge celebrities showing the life he lived during his years living there. This was Frank Jr's room where we stayed.

My favorite picture although there were so many. It kind of sums up who he was.

I am finishing my sons cayman and hopefully will have the C2 all buttoned up by the weekend.

Old 04-12-2022, 02:09 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Is there a notable classic Porsche scene in Palm Springs? I was there recently and until being there couldn't understand why anyone would prefer to head out there over the beaches in so cal. When I was there in Jan, it was warm during the day but the dry heat was nice. The snow capped mountains in the distance were wonderful. Thank you for sharing I also paid a pilgrimage to Franks house.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Is there a notable classic Porsche scene in Palm Springs? I was there recently and until being there couldn't understand why anyone would prefer to head out there over the beaches in so cal. When I was there in Jan, it was warm during the day but the dry heat was nice. The snow capped mountains in the distance were wonderful. Thank you for sharing I also paid a pilgrimage to Franks house.
Interestingly enough that C4WB closing on BaT today was a few blocks from Frank's house. I have someone who might be bidding on it today and I was looking over the pictures on my phone but did not realize it was around the corner. I could have checked it out more closely. Honestly I saw very few Porsche's although more seemed to be out at night. Mostly Pickups and some teslas. I am sure they do exist but I didn't see many. I was hanging by the pool reminiscing with friends and telling stories. Oddest thing. I learned a good friend of ours from HS became an integral part of Intel corp and is now in Turkish Prison doing time for some very strange behavior. This is literally the movie Midnight Express for him. I am sure there were far more interesting conversations that occured in that house.

All I know is my wife stumbled upon one of her favorite clothing designer Tina Turk who was at her flagship store. She was very nice and my wife had too good of a time shopping.

Last edited by cobalt; 04-13-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: To slick top or not to slick top that is the ??