Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake madness. Teardown begins....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

This is all being done on the bench for now. The car is my daily driver. So ideally what id like to do is dyno it as is, and then do another dyno run once this intake goes in...to have a back to back.

But i can only do that is there is a local shop that wants to donate the dyno time. So who knows.

Would be interesting though for sure.

So far- the big discoveries have been that you can indeed service the throttle body. Which Porsche calls a non-serviceable part- and then the other is how badly clogged the vacuum valves become over time. We already knew about the potential for vacuum leaks.

So it's already a success. Now onto the bling stuff, shine spit sand paint yadda yadda...and in it will go.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:00 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

some times you'll see that the but dyno is better than the dyno. you would need to have condensation the same to be a good test. dyno good to see what the max is but driving it is the real test in all ranges
Old 09-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Fair.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:07 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

How many vacuum valves? I already ordered the simple black/white one. Probably another month the I will start my intake tear down as well.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 PM
Goughary
Race Car

The other valves are the other two on the front of the throttle body (part facing you when you look at it. Then you have the resonance flap actuator, which very likely won't be gummed up, and then you have two for the fuel return system from the carbon canister.

All that said. Just test the ones you have before replacing. And if you like, you can shoot them with carb cleaner and then blow them out dry with a can of air or a compressor on low pressure. That actually made the ones i have here function well enough. Though i went ahead and found replacements anyway. I think i posted the way to do this inexpensively earlier in the thread.

Call me if you need any pointers when you get into the job. And if the bearings in the throttle body have bad seals, feel free to get in touch if you need to send it here to be done. Happy to help.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:26 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes dyno time costs money. A boost/vacuum gauge is cheap - put one in and do a before/after - see if it pulls more vacuum on decel, and at idle.... That should be cheap easy and give you a real result..

Just my opinion :-)

Brandon
'91 964 Turbo
Old 09-22-2018, 08:42 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Bad luck today. I painted the passenger side manifold. I had intended to do a two tone thing with the body silver and the legs black...

It looked like Snoopy, after a bad night on the town....with a bit of an opiate problem.

I hated it. I do everything in my head. Yeah, it'd be nice to work it out on a screen in photoshop. But where is the fun in that? I spent too many years working in photoshop....I'd rather just take the image from my head and do it. Paint to canvas as it were. And what that means is that sometimes money and time are spent uselessly with a terrible feeling of failure at the end.

But no - wait. That wasn't the real failure. I then gave it a quick wet sand. Dried it. And began to repaint it silver. Silver needs to be laid down right or it doesn't come out well. Even, and just wet enough, but not too wet. And then there is a cough....

Turn your head and cough. It happens that fast. How? I have no idea. I was busy with my cough.

A spot too thick. Just one spot.

The messy part starts. The right way to proceed when this happens, is to strip the entire thing and start fresh. Paint is getting thick. But it's a manifold and needs to be silver. So I'm not too worried and I'm not stripping the entire thing. So i started sanding it so i could re-shoot. And that's when it just got messy. Wet paint. Sorta dry ish paint. Rushing. How many times have you been told..."when you paint, don't rush". "If you get frustrated, stop".

Just stop. Go back another day. Stop.

So yeah. I dried it. Sanded most of the paint off. And started over. Cuz - when you blow it. Just stop. Assess. Take your time. And if the right thing to do is it start over. Starting over will take less time than making a mess of the whole thing and then...starting over anyway.

No pics. Too embarrassed. Although there were two guys here that surely were scratching their heads. One of them had just bought a massive set of reds. Fronts. And now will be looking for a set of rears to compliment. Yeah. They aren't really big reds. When you have them in your hands. They are Massive.

Which is good. Since brakes are way more important than my screwing up a paint job. So maybe i got away with it...lol.

Lesson?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Artists are never happy with their work.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Artists are never happy with their work.
Amen! That’s where the “Madness “ comes in!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

i love the ISV detail (thanks also Jason!) and the little bits you found at MMCarr etc..

don't forget you could just polish it! I am actually planning to clean mine up once I see more of your cleverness

Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yours are beautiful and they had actually inspired me to want to do them back when i first saw your pics. I chose to paint them silver...only because i have a million projects, still a lot to do on this one, and the polishing time is really one of those things I'd rather pay someone else to do...cuz to get it right, takes a lot of time and elbow grease for sure...and I'm having a hard time finding time these days...

That said, i did have time to renovate six ball peen hammers, a few of which were my grandfathers...so really I'm just whining...lol
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Old 10-12-2018, 08:09 AM
wallra
Pro

wait till you find out what it takes to keep that intake polished. I had that done to a jag intake and front cover what a pain keeping it looking good. If you use it.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:11 AM
HiWind
Race Car

I'm happy with it after 3 years and 25k kms - it's not quite as scintillating as it was the day I installed the engine
BUT it still clearly a neat, fluid, polished chrome-like finish and a little wipe every deep valet seems to keep it that way - maybe the quali and thickness of the ali is the key (sorry you boys with later plastic manifolds boohoo)

.. you're not comparing our engines to Jag engines surely?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:21 AM
wallra
Pro

now a days I could have this plastic manifold chromed.

Quick Reply: Intake madness. Teardown begins....