Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Singer's really ramping up production

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love what Singer has done and believe they are great to drive but think that Chris Harris may be exaggerating in the great way that he can ... which is to tell a story and embellish somewhat... i dare say a tight, fresh (or freshened) 964 with some $20k worth of bolt ons (wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, short shift, steering wheel, intake, exhaust) would equal 90% of a singer experience?? ... can anyone, who owns one... comment?

for my $500k, i'd put 5 x $100k cars in my garage... and driveway... and pretend to be Jay Leno and drive a different car each day... only i'd run out in a week and Jay would run out in a year... hahaha!!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh and thanks to Singer i was able to source a very fresh crankshaft, oil pump and pulley... from Autobahn... nice to work with them...
Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the "kid from L A" was a great guy to deal with, when buying used parts. never realized he was getting those parts from Singer. interesting.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,832 Likes on 2,390 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
love what Singer has done and believe they are great to drive but think that Chris Harris may be exaggerating in the great way that he can ... which is to tell a story and embellish somewhat... i dare say a tight, fresh (or freshened) 964 with some $20k worth of bolt ons (wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, short shift, steering wheel, intake, exhaust) would equal 90% of a singer experience?? ... can anyone, who owns one... comment?

for my $500k, i'd put 5 x $100k cars in my garage... and driveway... and pretend to be Jay Leno and drive a different car each day... only i'd run out in a week and Jay would run out in a year... hahaha!!
no, not close
i have a very very clean 40000 miles 92 964 and has way more than 20k of bolt on's
it's a nice car but it is not a singer.
is singer worth $500+, i do not know as i dont own one
but it is definitely more than 20k bolt on to a 964
Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 AM
n1ne11
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

40k bolt on then?

Jokes aside, I think a Singer is simply a lot different than our 964s. So from one perspective it isn't a 911 anymore, or at least it is def. no longer a 964 in every possible way.

But, as it still is a 911 on papers, and still has a big flat6 in the rear trunk, think more of a new 911 model, forget that It was once a 964, just think about something else, different, interesting too, but different.

Now, I can pretty much understand why people that love 911s love Singers, and I can totally understand, as a 964 driver myself, why 964 drivers kind of dislike them. Alone the sacrifice of 964 tubs is making me sad. I totally get it, I find them awesome in the way they look, the details, I am sure they feel great, the engine, the exhaust, the suspension. But still. It is not a 964 anymore, model that came out of a Porsche factory once.

Some of us just enjoy driving a car that has been part of some history, and has been the fruit of hard working german engineers at the end of the 80ies, and is what it is, a very good, emblematic, but not perfect sports car.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,343 Posts

First off that picture makes me sick to my stomach. I recognize the car in the front and it was a nice example. IIRC it had a slight water leak from the Sunroof seal but that was easily corrected. It did not sell for cheap and would be considered a nice example. Cutting up cars like this is criminal IMO.

Originally Posted by LPMM
Not sure if they still do but I believe at one time, most if not all the take off parts were being sold by Autobahn Parts in El Cajon, CA
It appears 1Autbahn1 on ebay and his prices are not cheap for the quantity of the same parts for sale. There may be others as well since there seems to be multiple sources for parts that were rarely available before. I personally out of principle will not buy parts from cars made into singers if I knew about it.

I believe Blkbyrd used to part cars out early on for Singers but don't hold me to it. I have to agree a 964 with $20K in add ons wouldn't hold a candle to a singer but for $200k I can build a car that can come very close but mine would still look like a 964. These cars with all the fancy extras are closer to $700k with the buy in so everyone seems to think they cost less but when spending this much who wants to buy a base model?

These are nothing more than kit cars taken to the extreme. Maybach sodomized a 964. Beautiful engineering and a style that is equal to the Emperors new cloths IMO.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

All the suspension and brake enhancements that Singer does to 964s are things that folks have been doing for a long time. Upgrading to Evo uprights, using 993 Turbo brakes, using Rennline mounts, using ERP spring plates, using fresh/uprated bushings, using high-end coilovers, etc. All that stuff can be replicated, under your $20k budget, in an afternoon with a credit card and an internet connection.

A big differentiator is that motor. But all that takes is money. Rothsport or Rennsport or BBi or other places can likely build you a 350hp+ screamer as long as you have the money.

The biggest differentiator is the use of composite body panels to take weight out of the car. Even if you don't care for the backdate styling, the weight they are able to remove with those body panels would really change the driving experience versus a 'turnt up' standard 964.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:34 PM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
First off that picture makes me sick to my stomach. I recognize the car in the front and it was a nice example. IIRC it had a slight water leak from the Sunroof seal but that was easily corrected. It did not sell for cheap and would be considered a nice example. Cutting up cars like this is criminal IMO.
The compensation is that for every one that goes under the knife, the more ours are worth...
Old 11-22-2017, 03:51 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm with you and Cobalt on this one, and the number I have heard for the "new" version is double your cost estimate. For a quarter mil I'm pretty confident I (and many others) can deliver quite the personalized 964.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:56 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Holy ****!

Before I bought my C2 I found a 90 C4 for sale for $27 and 98k miles here in Houston.
I drove the car the same day it was posted for sale and it drove really well! I agreed on a price with the seller and told him I would confirm tomorrow. But I was stubborn and wanted to wait for a 92+ Carrera 2, so I passed.

Sure enough, after 2 days (total 3 days the car has been for sale) I call the seller again and he told me someone from LA already wired the money. I guess that C4 is now in that parking lot...
Old 11-22-2017, 03:59 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

a Singer Vehicle Design car can't be compared to a "souped up 964".

I am the "souped up" type of guy, mainly due to not having won the lottery yet.
If you have the cash and want a well built backdate 911, you go to Singer - that's what you do.
If you want to save more than 15% on your car insurance....
Old 11-22-2017, 04:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 372 Posts

I've just booked flights to Rennsport Reunion VI and plan to go to Autobahn before flying home. I'm willing to see how much I can pack into four suitcases e.g. a G64 box .... There is an upside to this. In fact the pistons and cylinders on my White C4 engine rebuild are ex a Singer destined car.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
The compensation is that for every one that goes under the knife, the more ours are worth...
I already have too many cars I enjoy driving less because their values have gone through the roof. At least my C2 has had paint and is heavily modified with all the goodies anyone would want so if something happens it doesn't concern me as much it can always be repaired. I would prefer to see the nice cars survive. Lastly I don't intend to sell so all it does is cost me more insurance.

Originally Posted by Cadrega
a Singer Vehicle Design car can't be compared to a "souped up 964".

I am the "souped up" type of guy, mainly due to not having won the lottery yet.
If you have the cash and want a well built backdate 911, you go to Singer - that's what you do.
If you want to save more than 15% on your car insurance....

Originally Posted by John McM
I've just booked flights to Rennsport Reunion VI and plan to go to Autobahn before flying home. I'm willing to see how much I can pack into four suitcases e.g. a G64 box .... There is an upside to this. In fact the pistons and cylinders on my White C4 engine rebuild are ex a Singer destined car.
If you need to bring a G64 back with you I have nice one out of a 90 that worked perfectly about 84k miles on it.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is really demotivating me to sell my car........... I have been procrastinating for months now because it’s such an emotional decision to sell one of these, especially with pictures of all these Singer donor cars being posted. I know it will be tough to get back into another 964 C2 in the future, and I’ve put a lot of love into this one. All I can do is try my best to make sure my car doesn’t end up in that lot and that it goes to another 964 enthusiast instead of becoming a Singer.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:40 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschenut_Lee
This thread is really demotivating me to sell my car........... I have been procrastinating for months now because it’s such an emotional decision to sell one of these, especially with pictures of all these Singer donor cars being posted. I know it will be tough to get back into another 964 C2 in the future, and I’ve put a lot of love into this one. All I can do is try my best to make sure my car doesn’t end up in that lot and that it goes to another 964 enthusiast instead of becoming a Singer.
Keep your car, Lee! Nice examples are fetching well over 50 grand.

Quick Reply: Singer's really ramping up production