Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Singer's really ramping up production

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 01:05 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't understand all the vitriol with Singer.

Even if you don't like the design, you at least have to respect what they did. I would never pay 300k for that car, and i think with that money, I could make a stellar build with less money. But they were the first to do it, and no one did it before, so credit to them. Plus its a win for us. Our values go up slightly, but it isn't caused by that junkyard lot full of old 964's. The entire air cooled market is crazy right now. We just have a specific target that is being spotlighted and criticized.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:10 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 89 Posts

^agree with this, admire those who like the concept, and purists too. There is enough room for everyone to enjoy.

I will say tho, the figure I heard is closer to 1mil for the "new" version, 300k is long gone even for the "standard" car. That makes it more along the lines of exclusive not restomod - so the point is moot for the vast majority of those offering opinions like me
Old 11-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Sad to see all those 964s waiting to be disassembled.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:46 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by The Greek
I don't understand all the vitriol with Singer.

Even if you don't like the design, you at least have to respect what they did. I would never pay 300k for that car, and i think with that money, I could make a stellar build with less money. But they were the first to do it, and no one did it before, so credit to them. Plus its a win for us. Our values go up slightly, but it isn't caused by that junkyard lot full of old 964's. The entire air cooled market is crazy right now. We just have a specific target that is being spotlighted and criticized.
Sorry but what do you not understand about someone having an opinion?

And what is there to respect ..... anyone could have done it by throwing vast $$$$$ at it.

Even you comment that you could "make a stellar build with less money".

I am not drinking the Kool Aid and again it is only my opinion which should really means nothing to anyone else.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:49 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Sorry but what do you not understand about someone having an opinion?

And what is there to respect ..... anyone could have done it by throwing vast $$$$$ at it.

Even you comment that you could "make a stellar build with less money".

I am not drinking the Kool Aid and again it is only my opinion which should really means nothing to anyone else.
I know exactly what I said, hence my use of the word vitriol. I never singled anyone out. Don’t get so offended. Have a beer or something....

For the record, I never questioned anyone disagreeing or disliking Singer. I just didn’t understand the level of hatred towards them that’s all.

But I’ll always respect someone who takes a chance, and doesn’t go with the status quo. I still say good for them.

Last edited by The Greek; 11-30-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Having seen the production process just a bit, I would have to say, like them or not, the cars are put together to a level I doubt many of us could achieve in the normal fashion. Imagine the best paint shop, then compare that to factory paint; there is a difference, ditto with the interiors and the overall package, These cars are near perfect, and I know what that word means in the resto world.

I wouldn't pay the freight, I like my car (warts and all) and I will not miss the horsepower because I have yet to met a Singer at the track. But I would never pay 10 grand for a Bitcoin, 40 grand for a suit on Rodeo Dr., or 10 grand for a bottle of wine. But people do and good luck to them.

Singer is an amazing design experience, all the more remarkable as it comes from the singer (get it?) in a rock and roll band from England and not some **** retentive Hun. If it isn't perfect, it doesn't go into the car, and it shows.

After about 500 or even 750 Singers sold, demand may be satiated somewhat, how many folks are there that need a million dollar 911? That is still a pretty small number of 964s that went under the knife overall, the knock on effect on our cars will be minimal, because ours are pretty nice cars, we have worked hard to make them so. But if you have a roach coach that needs everything; you now have a $35k buyer and a check in the mail as opposed to a long lonely wait on Autotrader for a lot less.

Personally, I like seeing them and marvelling at the visuals, but I like seeing 20something barbies with impossible **** here in 90210; I just won't be going home with either.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:09 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Mr. BH......
I like your style !
Old 11-30-2017, 11:12 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

I love your car!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:19 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,761 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by cscrogham
^agree with this, admire those who like the concept, and purists too. There is enough room for everyone to enjoy.

I will say tho, the figure I heard is closer to 1mil for the "new" version, 300k is long gone even for the "standard" car. That makes it more along the lines of exclusive not restomod - so the point is moot for the vast majority of those offering opinions like me
the "regular" singer is way more than 300k think 500 to START and that's a low end singer
the williams engine singer is WAY MORE than $1MM.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:19 AM
964Andrew
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
the "regular" singer is way more than 300k think 500 to START and that's a low end singer
the williams engine singer is WAY MORE than $1MM.
This is what I've heard as well. $1.9M to be exact. Judging by the "excellent" 3D renders there is a lot of changes to the body shell and engine package over the regular (cheap) Singer. For me it is hard to justify the price by looking at the renders only. A lot can happen when going from virtual to reality. Even thou Singer has proven to have the chops to pull off the very TOP QUALITY restorations, only seeing the real car and performance numbers prove it's worth the coin.

Thanks!
Andrew

Last edited by 964Andrew; 12-01-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Having seen the production process just a bit, I would have to say, like them or not, the cars are put together to a level I doubt many of us could achieve in the normal fashion. Imagine the best paint shop, then compare that to factory paint; there is a difference, ditto with the interiors and the overall package, These cars are near perfect, and I know what that word means in the resto world.

I wouldn't pay the freight, I like my car (warts and all) and I will not miss the horsepower because I have yet to met a Singer at the track. But I would never pay 10 grand for a Bitcoin, 40 grand for a suit on Rodeo Dr., or 10 grand for a bottle of wine. But people do and good luck to them.

Singer is an amazing design experience, all the more remarkable as it comes from the singer (get it?) in a rock and roll band from England and not some **** retentive Hun. If it isn't perfect, it doesn't go into the car, and it shows.

After about 500 or even 750 Singers sold, demand may be satiated somewhat, how many folks are there that need a million dollar 911? That is still a pretty small number of 964s that went under the knife overall, the knock on effect on our cars will be minimal, because ours are pretty nice cars, we have worked hard to make them so. But if you have a roach coach that needs everything; you now have a $35k buyer and a check in the mail as opposed to a long lonely wait on Autotrader for a lot less.

Personally, I like seeing them and marvelling at the visuals, but I like seeing 20something barbies with impossible **** here in 90210; I just won't be going home with either.
This is where I disagree. I have seen many singers up close and I work with shops that can rival anything singer builds. In fact restoration of some of the early long nose cars is superior to what they produce. Taking cars in far worse condition than most of these 964's and restoring every aspect using all the original parts and making them better than they left the factory. What I have an issue with is the cutting up of some of the better 964's that remain and so few do. People think that 750 or so singers won't make a difference but we have stated time and time again that US spec 964 coupes number less 2000 by now and are dwindling all the time with RWB's, Singers, Other backdates and general attrition.

Sad to see these wonderful cars cut up for any reason. I have no issue with basket cases being used but we have gone well past that and the cars I have personally seen sold to build singers many here would love to own as is. By the time singer is old news there will be only crappy 964's to chose from and a few gems that survived but will be $200k if you want one.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:34 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Bill, you are a marvel, taught us all a thing or two, but I would have to disagree, "better than they left the factory" to me at least is not possible, I don't care which bodyshop is everyone's darling this week.

The singer isn't just about quality of restoration, it is a unique car, each one, even if the color scheme isn't to you taste, is wild, a one off.

I completely agree with your point about cutting good cars but I doubt Singer is going to stop anytime soon. Remember back in the day when heathen savages were converting old long noses into turbo looks, slant noses and (the horror) 959 lookalikes? I don't see the difference, at least the Singers don't make me throw up a little in my mouth.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm lost. Who is saying 500 - 750 Singers will be produced? They haven't even finished 70 yet and started production around 2010 or so.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Bill, you are a marvel, taught us all a thing or two, but I would have to disagree, "better than they left the factory" to me at least is not possible, I don't care which bodyshop is everyone's darling this week.

The singer isn't just about quality of restoration, it is a unique car, each one, even if the color scheme isn't to you taste, is wild, a one off.

I completely agree with your point about cutting good cars but I doubt Singer is going to stop anytime soon. Remember back in the day when heathen savages were converting old long noses into turbo looks, slant noses and (the horror) 959 lookalikes? I don't see the difference, at least the Singers don't make me throw up a little in my mouth.
I admire the engineering. The style not so much in fact it is disturbing to my eye. That might be because I see some gorgeous original examples all the time. I am not impressed with the body lines it looks awkwardly fat and bloated to me. The CF work and finish is no doubt top quality but it should be for $500-$700K. If I wanted a long nose I would buy a long nose. I never liked the conversions of the past and these are definitely superior in almost every way but completely unnecessary. There are many others done in smaller quantities I would take over a singer.IMO they look better and are just as nice for far less$$$. I actually prefer the lines of a WB 964 myself but I am one of the odd ones. Give me the engineering with a CF body that looks like 3.8RS and I would be very happy. The best of all worlds. Safety coupled with modern engineering and light weight on a WB with NB rear suspension IMO is the ultimate 911.

When I mean better than they left the factory I am talking about getting the panel fit within thousandths of an inch vs ten thousands and everything is stripped down and reconditioned using coatings that will hold up far better than they left the factory. We had an early long nose restored using delivery photos. There were drip marks on the under body and went as far as recreating them precisely. The paint finish is better than the original as well. These cars were not all perfect from the factory but when you are restoring car that is now worth $200-300k you can spend the extra time needed to take it a step beyond what the factory supplied. I have a bunch of friends whose restorations made it to Excellence and other magazines some set record sales prices for what they were when they sold. One problem with working on these cars at this level is everything is spoiled my eye pics up on every nuance sometimes it is a curse.

I have a friend that has an original 911R factory prototype and IMO I would spend my money on something like that long before a Singer.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:52 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 192 Likes on 123 Posts

New Singer is in the range of a 918 Spyder - really? Ok

Quick Reply: Singer's really ramping up production