Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Singer's really ramping up production

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 12:43 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

and just think you have to really think how these cars are going to hold their value because they are not real Porsche's.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:19 PM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Sad to see these wonderful cars cut up for any reason. I have no issue with basket cases being used but we have gone well past that and the cars I have personally seen sold to build singers many here would love to own as is. By the time singer is old news there will be only crappy 964's to chose from and a few gems that survived but will be $200k if you want one.
Yes, in that point i agree with you. I think that in the future, somebody who will want a 964, he will have to search hard to find one, in original condition. What i want to say is that, since Singer (re) constructs the whole car from carbon fiber, why they don't follow the way RUF did with the lastest Yellowbird. To make a whole new car made of carbon fiber instead of chopping original 964s.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by 908/3fan
Yes, in that point i agree with you. I think that in the future, somebody who will want a 964, he will have to search hard to find one, in original condition. What i want to say is that, since Singer (re) constructs the whole car from carbon fiber, why they don't follow the way RUF did with the lastest Yellowbird. To make a whole new car made of carbon fiber instead of chopping original 964s.
Likely two reasons:
1. A way to avoid emissions requirements in most states
2. Car can be registered as an antique and thus the taxes would be significantly less
Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 PM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

It's easy for me, and many of us, to say "Well, for $500K+, I'd rather have this or that..."

The 2 people I know who have Singers (one has 2 Singers) don't have just their Singer(s) in the garage. They have every car you or I would rather have instead also! So, it's the wrong question to ask, "Singer, or ??? for the same money?" The Singer is for someone who literally owns every car we might pick instead of the Singer. And after you have every "standard issue super car/collector car" box checked-off, you go for something unique. Something built specifically to your tastes/preferences. A bespoke Porsche "collector car".
Old 12-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

^ Exactly...

If Singer didn't have confidence in the potential market for a $1.5m version of their reimagined 964, they would never have deviated from the original business plan. The top 0.01% buy $$$$$ cars like expensive meals.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,761 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris
It's easy for me, and many of us, to say "Well, for $500K+, I'd rather have this or that..."

The 2 people I know who have Singers (one has 2 Singers) don't have just their Singer(s) in the garage. They have every car you or I would rather have instead also! So, it's the wrong question to ask, "Singer, or ??? for the same money?" The Singer is for someone who literally owns every car we might pick instead of the Singer. And after you have every "standard issue super car/collector car" box checked-off, you go for something unique. Something built specifically to your tastes/preferences. A bespoke Porsche "collector car".
bingo, they literally ran out of cars to buy and many buy mulitple planes and yachts to match their cars.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyeChris

Couldn’t of said it better. No one who owns a Singer or is on the waiting list is stretching to buy it. Strictly built for whales.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Seriously? There are a lot of cars you can easily spend crazy money on. I know a number of people with insane collections most of them are serious about buying rare collectable cars and singers aren't on their list. The average cost of the cars in their collection would take the cost of multiple singers to buy just one.. I know of a couple of people that have singers and other exotic cars as well. I don't consider these as true enthusiasts. They seem to buy these cars as a way to show off and usually have little clue to what they own or why they have it other than it is the latest craze. They also flip their cars constantly. What I call the more money than brains club.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:54 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I know only know one person with a Singer and he has a couple 918s, a 911R and who knows what else. Certainly a true enthusiast and a great guy to boot!
Old 12-05-2017, 10:12 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
I know only know one person with a Singer and he has a couple 918s, a 911R and who knows what else. Certainly a true enthusiast and a great guy to boot!
i was going to make this same comment. The comment above to say they are not enthusiast is stupid and a generalization.

I have a good friend getting one, trust me he is an enthusiast and probably knows more about the Porsche brand then most on here. They are also not ramping up production as the OP comments. As a matter of fact the cars continue to get delayed. His car from the original promise date has been delayed now almost a year.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I was talking people with 40 + cars and 918's are the low end.
Although one just took delivery of a new Ford GT so I guess that would be his low end car.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 84 Posts

Ouch
Old 12-06-2017, 10:41 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

I don't consider these as true enthusiasts. They seem to buy these cars as a way to show off and usually have little clue to what they own or why they have it other than it is the latest craze. They also flip their cars constantly. What I call the more money than brains club.
For a moment I thought this was the RWB bashing thread!
I think you talk more from your biased "purist" opinion vs. actual data of # of owners' feedback.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cadrega
For a moment I thought this was the RWB bashing thread!
I think you talk more from your biased "purist" opinion vs. actual data of # of owners' feedback.
No doubt all sorts of people buy into these builds. I was just commenting on the people I have encountered and no doubt my opinion which I find most I speak with agree with me. There are all types that buy cars like this some are into the drive, some the looks, some the attention they get from arriving in something unique, Some all of the above. I know a very large number of car collectors with millions of dollars invested in cars and I found for the most part "old money" leans towards buying the classics and "new money" likes the latest bling to show off with. Owning a 918 doesn't make you an enthusiast in my book. I know a number of 918, CGT and 959 owners amongst other unique Porsche's or other marques and only some I consider true enthusiasts.

Is this a generalization, No doubt but like stereotypes they exist for a reason. Also what I consider an enthusiast is not necessarily what other may.

Also I would be happy to go head to head over the Porsche brand with anyone. I don't claim to know it all but after nearly 40 years of being around these cars I think I know enough to hold my own.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:27 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

No doubt all sorts of people buy into these builds. I was just commenting on the people I have encountered and no doubt my opinion which I find most I speak with agree with me. There are all types that buy cars like this some are into the drive, some the looks, some the attention they get from arriving in something unique, Some all of the above. I know a very large number of car collectors with millions of dollars invested in cars and I found for the most part "old money" leans towards buying the classics and "new money" likes the latest bling to show off with. Owning a 918 doesn't make you an enthusiast in my book. I know a number of 918, CGT and 959 owners amongst other unique Porsche's or other marques and only some I consider true enthusiasts.

Is this a generalization, No doubt but like stereotypes they exist for a reason. Also what I consider an enthusiast is not necessarily what other may.

Also I would be happy to go head to head over the Porsche brand with anyone. I don't claim to know it all but after nearly 40 years of being around these cars I think I know enough to hold my own.
My buddy isn't a car/Porsche enthusiast because he owns 918s, he's an enthusiast because he drives those cars HARD along with a RS and an R on the track and absolutely loves driving his cars everywhere. He had all of them out on Tail of the Dragon (with buddies "helping" to drive the other cars) in the pouring rain at 6am to avoid police and have more clear roads before they got busier later. I don't know many 918/911R owners hooning around the Dragon in a downpour. He lives, sleeps and eats cars and driving.

Quick Reply: Singer's really ramping up production