Sponsored by:

Singer's really ramping up production

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,888 Likes on 2,408 Posts

cobalt, is this guy's name d'vinci or michaelangelo?
this is amazing....

Originally Posted by cobalt
You do know that Nickel plating is the process done prior to the chrome plating applied and should cost less not more. Also any holes should be drilled prior to paint. The idea of drilling fresh paint is IMO no better than RWB cutting his fenders after the car is painted.

You want to see something amazing. Watch the tech tactics seminar given by Rob Ida on the making of a one off Tucker torpedo made from scratch and copied from a plaster cast scale concept piece. True craftsmanship taking it to a completely different level. Reminded me of the barn find 250 GTO I saw restored. Basically only the vin plate was usable and the entire rest of the car was formed using wooden bucks and blueprints. I know someone who is building a complete Shelby 427 cobra on wooden bucks and fabricated the entire body out of aluminum just as they did with the real ones. When he is done it will be indistinguishable from the originals. (Actually far better) No doubt talent is needed to build these things but there are far more people out there that can still do things in a true craftsman style. It isn't limited to one company and at these prices there should be a 0 tolerance for mistakes.

The guy building the 427 is working on this 356. It had ben hit badly and poorly repaired. He has expanded and shrunk the metal so it went from completely mangled to this. I don't have before pics but there were pounds of bondo covering the mangled pieces. Now the original metal is back to its proper shape. A true artist in his skills. Still many many hours of work to go before it is perfect. When he is done it will be high polished with 0 bondo and all original metal

PS; Yes RR does save a second set of wood for each car so it can be replaced if needed.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:04 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Singer told me, in person, they are paying a low of 40k and a high of 55k for cars. Some customers stipulating they want perfect donors, not salvage cars or beaters, many Singer buyers are billionaires.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Singer told me, in person, they are paying a low of 40k and a high of 55k for cars. Some customers stipulating they want perfect donors, not salvage cars or beaters, many Singer buyers are billionaires.
So you're saying they are buying up the good cars and not the run of mill stuff. The owner on Flat sixes claims they don't chop up the nice examples which is contrary to what I have sen sold to them.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 AM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
If someone is spending >$500K on the build then an additional $10-15k at the beginning to source a better donor car is easily justifiable.

Does anyone know if Singer only sources C2 bodies or do they also take the C4 and convert them over to RWD?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTR
If someone is spending >$500K on the build then an additional $10-15k at the beginning to source a better donor car is easily justifiable.

Does anyone know if Singer only sources C2 bodies or do they also take the C4 and convert them over to RWD?
Most are closer to $700k and any coupe will do so long as it doesn't seem to have a salvage title or is a basket case.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:47 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 84 Posts

Bucket case is probably more accurate.

Rust bucket.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:49 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 171 Posts

All I know is I've tried multiple times to give Singer an insane amount of money and it's like screaming down a bottomless well...clearly they have a lot of buyers lined up since I can't even seem to get past stage one with them.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I saw some comments on a 964 facebook group that said some Singers were up for auction recently and the bids did not reach what one would expect considering the cost of having a car commissioned. Anyone have more info on this? What is the resale like on these ultra high-end 964s?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I can attest that they strip the cars to bare bones; 2 or 4wd irrelevant, it is all new. If you need to get an answer to buy one let me know; 2 year waiting list. As a result of the waiting list, second hand prices are quite high, lowest known recent sale is a %10 profit, most at a %40 premium, according to Singer. They have a private forum for customers.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If I was going to spend that kind of cash I would want it exactly to my specification, I would never buy someone else’s dream car. My opinion of course and YMMV.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

To me, it seems that if Singer is stepping up the condition of their donor cars then that means the supply of "rougher" 964s is drying up considerably. Since they effectively start at a bare chassis (minus rear fenders), the starting condition really wouldn't be a drawback (versus a single buyer) so long as the title is clean and the tub straight.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone know how they strengthen the shells ? If it was me, I'd want the best shell possible and start with something that is already as stiff as possible especially given the prices being paid.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Talat
Anyone know how they strengthen the shells ? If it was me, I'd want the best shell possible and start with something that is already as stiff as possible especially given the prices being paid.
I might be mistaken but the pictures I have seen seem to show they just graft the CF fenders to the tub as is. I would want an incorporated roll cage if it was mine. This would stiffen the tub and add some of the protection removed.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I might be mistaken but the pictures I have seen seem to show they just graft the CF fenders to the tub as is. I would want an incorporated roll cage if it was mine. This would stiffen the tub and add some of the protection removed.
I thought I read an article that mentioned something about shell strengthening but I couldn't find any detail on it - maybe they don't want people to know, which is fair enough. So I assumed they had some sort of integrated rollcage ala Ruf or just a load of seam welding.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Talat
I thought I read an article that mentioned something about shell strengthening but I couldn't find any detail on it - maybe they don't want people to know, which is fair enough. So I assumed they had some sort of integrated rollcage ala Ruf or just a load of seam welding.
It would appear they are weld most likely to RS specs.
http://singervehicledesign.com/specifications/
Although it helps it is not as much as most believe. A 6 point cage would do better and they offer a bolt in or welded in design. I can't imagine what they charge for a bolt in cage and honestly not sure why they would offer one vs a welded in cage standard on all cars.

I find it interesting that a steel sunroof is optional. I am assuming they retain the original sunroof? Why would that cost extra??

Quick Reply: Singer's really ramping up production