Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

race car -> street car -> restoration project

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003 | 01:30 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default race car -> street car -> ITS ALIVE!!!!

the beast sleeps...

god, why did porscche have to invent the 951, and why do i love them so much??? i've poured my heart (and my wallet) into this whole debalacle since last year, it all starte when i burnt an exhaust valve on new-years eve of 2002, i literally dropped everything in my life to tear into the car, and went from someone who couldn't tell an alternator from an ac compressor to having torn down and completely rebuilt a 951, twice... because not 3 days after getting my black 86 back onto the road, it was totaled (thankfully i was able to buy the chassis back and the engine was fine). now i've gotten myself into yet another awful mess, i kinda knew in the back of my mind this would happen, but wow... what a process, trying to make a former race car somewhat streetable. i figured i'd share these photos as i'm planning to send the car in for some serious body work and a full re-paint / color change (I'm still deciding on colors, considering everything from the 996 dark silver, i think it's "Seal Grey" to the 97 4-door bmw m3 metalic-orange/copper "byzanz" to a few reds, i just can't make up my mind). anyway, some paint, some carpet, and some serious interior customizing / revamping (custom dash w/ the STACK integrated, elimination of the factory climate control / vents / buttons and creating a completely new electrical and control system, should be a long but fun process)... waiting on some wheels (from Kinesis) to arrive and I need to get a suspension (although i might have that sorted out soon) and MAYBE, just maybe, i'll have the car drivable next spring. I'm tired of driving my small honda SUV, i miss boost+rwd+german :/

*shrugs* i just liked this photo...

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~dmoffitt/widebody/ for those who might want to see pics of all of the things i'm hoping to get taken care of @ the paint shop this winter (i'm REALY trying to get this car back on the road by next spring so i can enjoy it, plus i'm budgeting on not putting more than 15k on the element each year).

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~dmoffitt/widebody/gallery/ if you'd prefer it in an adobe web-gallery...

for those who are wondering, the windshield was tree:1 porsche:0 (dead tree fell on it 2 saturdays ago... *GRR*)

Last edited by dmoffitt; 09-19-2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2003 | 01:36 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

1. clear your pm box.
2. please send me my coolant tank
TIA
Old 10-08-2003 | 01:47 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

oops, sorry!! hey, can you re-send me your postal address via PM, I had a major computer crash, and lost my whole outlook email folder where i had it stored -- i've got the tank sitting (as well as some parts for another 'lister) @ work and will send it out Friday if you can PM me between now and then
Old 10-08-2003 | 05:28 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Very interesting project!
Seems you have a lot of work ahead, but when you're done it will be an absolutely insane 951!!
Looking forward to see the progress!

Gustaf
Old 02-05-2004 | 07:48 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

not to dredge this thread back up from the depths, but a touch of progress has been made

car's @ the paint shop FINALLY, wheels are in (well, fronts. rears were subject to a little ordering mis-hap and Kinesis is sending them back to me shortly. not their fault, not really mine either, long story). now to choose engine management (leaning toward Tec3 right now) and i'm hoping to sell my turbo so I can pick up a bigger one (shooting for maybe 450hp, 500tq @ the wheels but i donno if that's realistic, 2.8, big-valve head, figure 1.25ish bar aka around 18psi).

more pics:

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~dmoffitt/macs2/
(click the above link for more pics)

Old 02-05-2004 | 11:13 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-05-2004 | 11:24 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Why must you post the pictures of that beautiful widebody... makes me want to hack up my car to add the huge fenders.....

I guess I should worry about getting it back on the road first.

but the car looks great can't wait to see it hit the road again....
Old 02-05-2004 | 11:39 AM
GWTurboS
Rennlist Member

Default Rear bumper

Nice rear euro bumper on your car. Did you buy the car with the bumper already installed, or did you import it yourself? I've been half-heartedly emailing dismantling yards in the U.K. looking for one, but have not gotten a response back yet.

Greg W.
Old 02-05-2004 | 01:53 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

The car came w/ the bumper, yeah, that's one of my fav. features of the car actually

*grumble* stupid little things add up on these cars, i've basically given up on doing a lot of mechanical jobs now, since i don't work @ the shop i used to, live downtown in a loft (no, i don't have a freight elevator. if i did, my car would be in my bay, er, living-room, hehe, i DO have concrete floors tho). anyway, it's f*cking cold out in rochester, i have nowhere to store tools, nowhere to work, so i'm paying someone to do wheel bearings, replace all of the wheel-studs (yes. i'm paranoid. leave me alone. all of you. and the voices too hehe), replace my clutch and brake master cyl's (already did the clutch slave myself), rotors, alignment.... it's SCARY how much that estimate came to oh well, it'll all be worth it when i get another double-take next time I can drive the car (going up to AutoNation in Toronto, some guy almost ran off the road he was staring so hard hehe).
Old 06-16-2004 | 03:49 AM
ice9rg570
3rd Gear

What rear spoiler is that? Also maybe i'm stupid but whats a wide body... how can you tell between a non widebody?
Old 06-16-2004 | 12:40 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a huge effort turing Chris Cervelli's GT1 Racer in to a street car.

It would be cool to see it back running again, but I can't begin to comprehend how much effort this is taking you! Good Luck!

Rear wing is a 968 Turbo S model I believe. Wide body mean 2" wider fender flares. They are obvious went parked next to a normal car. Subtle otherwise.
Old 06-16-2004 | 01:03 PM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Haha....
nice plates.
Old 06-17-2004 | 10:07 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

progress: some of the wiring is done, new turbo is on, putting in the new dash + tec3 etc soon (waiting on a replacement heater core from flex-a-lite as i wanted to add some sort of defrost to the front window for those cooler / humid days).

hopefully pics soon of the updates
Old 06-17-2004 | 10:26 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow what a projet! Nice motor can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 06-18-2004 | 10:43 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Update – the heater arrived yesterday so that can be installed and then the wiring / carbon fiber dash installation can get underway. Dave has been investing a lot of time/money/effort into getting this car set up right. It is interesting to go the opposite direction of what I am used to (turning a street car in to a track car) but the goal here is to end up with a street car that will be a very capable track car and to keep the track car persona. The carbon fiber race dashboard with the Stack instruments and race type switches really look nice. We have even made the power ‘key’ switch a removable race type kill switch.
It’s a good thing that Dave has patients, this has been a long project for him – but it will be worth the wait!!

Chris White

PS, may some picture would be a good idea, I will take soem this weekend.

Quick Reply: race car -> street car -> restoration project