Sponsored by:

Best "affordable" GT car for a developing DE driver

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 01:43 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Best "affordable" GT car for a developing DE driver

For the next couple of years this is just a bit of dream garage wish-casting on my part, but I've noticed that there are now a few different GT cars that can be purchased on the 2nd hand market for similar money to what I spent on my 992 Carrera T last year. While I'm very happy with the Carrera T, and have emotional and practical reasons for needing the back seats for another couple of years (i.e. little, car loving kids), I'm also getting more and more into driving on the track. So, I've been thinking a lot about which "affordable" GT car might be in my future once my kids no longer fit in the back of a 911.

These are the GT cars that seem to be available in good shape for $95K to $125K:
- 991.1 GT3s with higher mileage and G6 engines can be found at the top of this price band;
- 718 GT4s with low to moderate miles seem to be right in the middle; and
- 981 GT4s with moderate miles seem to be near the bottom

Currently I do 2-3 track days per year, plus a bit of karting. I'm solidly in the intermediate run group on the track running my totally stock (except for high temp brake fluid) Carrera T. I'm a bit better in a kart where I normally do pretty well in my city league. Right now though, I'm probably not putting in enough seat time to meaningfully improve. However, I see myself upping my track time to 5-7 days per year next season. While I realize the best answer is probably to buy myself a late-model Miata or BRZ and modify it into a dedicated track car, I just want to be in a Porsche.

Given all of that, what GT care would more experienced folks suggest for someone looking to (1) improve their own best times, (2) keep running costs "reasonable" for a Porsche, and (3) maximize reliability/durability given the car will still need to be street driving regularly?

Last edited by cgaites; Yesterday at 02:02 PM.
Old Yesterday | 01:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,352 Likes on 1,904 Posts

718 GT4
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
erliuic (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 01:52 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,532 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I think your pricing for a 991.1 (assuming that's what you mean unless you know about a 999.1) is high for a car with a high mileage engine. 991.1 of that type starts in the 80s.

With a fresh engine your range is closer to the mark.
Old Yesterday | 02:12 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think your pricing for a 991.1 (assuming that's what you mean unless you know about a 999.1) is high for a car with a high mileage engine. 991.1 of that type starts in the 80s.

With a fresh engine your range is closer to the mark.
Yes, sorry, I meant 991.1. I've corrected the typo. Also, yes, when I say higher mileage, I mean a higher mileage chassis with a replacement engine. Having the original, non-updated engine in place - at least without a warrantee - would be a big risk I'm not in a position to take.

To me the big plus of the 991.1 GT3 can probably be summed up as:
1) "It's a 911." Though I realize that is ridiculous. And...
2) ...GT3 exhaust note.

The big negative I'm guessing is significantly higher running costs, but will defer to those with more experience there.
Old Yesterday | 02:15 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 412 Likes on 297 Posts

Those are all great cars. I've owned the 991.1 and .2 GT3 and 981 GT4. I have to say though that I learned more in a 987.2 Cayman R (6MT) that I owned at the same time than the GTs. Partly because I was more willing to push that car to it's and my own limits. Had it out for a PCA DE last weekend. Even 10+ years later people still come up to look at it and compliment it. It needed a few simple mods like the center radiator and GT3 style lower control arms. Stock engine/trans. Probably has 200 track days on it.
peterp (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 02:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,532 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by cgaites
Yes, sorry, I meant 991.1. I've corrected the typo. Also, yes, when I say higher mileage, I mean a higher mileage chassis with a replacement engine. Having the original, non-updated engine in place - at least without a warrantee - would be a big risk I'm not in a position to take.

To me the big plus of the 991.1 GT3 can probably be summed up as:
1) "It's a 911." Though I realize that is ridiculous. And...
2) ...GT3 exhaust note.

The big negative I'm guessing is significantly higher running costs, but will defer to those with more experience there.
I know others keep pushing Clubsports, and they are great cars, but none of them are a 911.

I bought my 991.1 GT3 Cup about four years ago now and I have never had a moment of regret (other than shop bills from time to time.) There is simply nothing like it.
Old Yesterday | 02:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,731 Likes on 890 Posts

Whichever of those choice you can find in good condition with all service records and a manual,l transmission, buy that!!!
Old Yesterday | 03:11 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,542 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Dont forget about a 996 gt3. Its not as fast as 718 but i get pretty close. No nannys except abs and solid motor, manual trans, big breaks and low running cost.
Old Yesterday | 03:38 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Dont forget about a 996 gt3. Its not as fast as 718 but i get pretty close. No nannys except abs and solid motor, manual trans, big breaks and low running cost.
Interesting. I hadn't thought about the 996 GT3 as I'd assumed that, given their age, they would probably be a bit too fragile for regular track use. I've made a similar assumption about 997.1 GT3s (.2's are too getting quite expensive). If that's not the case though, opens up a lot more manual transmission options.
Old Yesterday | 05:20 PM
M13S
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cgaites
Interesting. I hadn't thought about the 996 GT3 as I'd assumed that, given their age, they would probably be a bit too fragile for regular track use. I've made a similar assumption about 997.1 GT3s (.2's are too getting quite expensive). If that's not the case though, opens up a lot more manual transmission options.
I race my 997.1 cup and saying they are too fragile for regular track use is the exact opposite of my reality. It has been the most reliable race car I've ever owned with proper maintenance, no over-revving, and proper shifting. It takes a pounding at the track and keeps going, not sure where your frame of reference comes from bit its not correct.
Old Yesterday | 06:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,731 Likes on 890 Posts

Those Metzger race motors are tough as nails. And the 996 Cup remains my favorite! Just be aware of that, when it is time to rebuild the motor, you will have to dig pretty deep into your wallet
Old Yesterday | 06:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,352 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Buy the car you like the most. You'll never be sorry.

I wasn't talking about a ClubSport, because that's not in the budget.

But, I have seen 718 GT4 street cars with safety equipment and HoHo's doing 2:01's a VIR, very respectable time and in my mind, the perfect training tool to learn the craft.

It seems like the Cayman platform is so well balanced that it's easier for the drivers to make incremental progress that sticks.

That said, I have seen very dedicated 991.1 GT3 cars (not Cups) break 2:00 and they do work very well.
Old Yesterday | 06:44 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,542 Likes on 1,861 Posts

While i built my own 6-gt3 from a wrecked chassis for about half your budget nice examples with under 50k miles r around for $80k-100k. I have even seen higher hour cups for less but require a fair amount of $ in service work. It is a platform that takes some skill and time to get comfortable in because it has just enough hp with no computer helpers to make it interesting. Its really in the sweet spot of power to weight and requires u to pay attention.

Not sure what tracks u frequent but i can run my car at 3400lbs (about 250lbs heavier then a true gt3) on hossier scubs at a 2.12 at watkins (but im sure it will hit a 2.10) and i just got to a 1.29.68 at t-bolt (njmp). So not blistering fast but pretty darn good for 372 factory hp.

For example this just hit bat. Who knows where it goes to but ??? Hopefully whoever buys it will actually drive it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-porsche-911-gt3-96/

Last edited by De Jeeper; Yesterday at 06:52 PM.
Old Yesterday | 07:17 PM
erliuic
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I think a 991.1 stock GT3 will run a 57 on Hoosier R7s at the Glen. It's a very fast and capable car. Sound was amazing and was quite reliable outside of the motor. The thoughts I had running one were
1. Do I want to go this speed without full safety equipment?
2. This doesn't feel like a very analog experience.
3. It can be frustrating running this pace in a DE group.

Around the same time, I got the chance to drive Art's 981 Clubsport and that was absolutely amazing. It started us on the path of cars with less power and we're now in 987.2 Cayman S's that are prepped for GTB1 (stock motor with a tune, suspension, brakes, and a wing).
The following 2 users liked this post by erliuic:
multi21 (Yesterday), ProCoach (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 08:09 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 374 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by erliuic
Around the same time, I got the chance to drive Art's 981 Clubsport and that was absolutely amazing. It started us on the path of cars with less power and we're now in 987.2 Cayman S's that are prepped for GTB1 (stock motor with a tune, suspension, brakes, and a wing).

agreed. i have a similar setup on my 987.2 track car and love it, and for around half of your budget. that leaves lots of leftover for upgrades, repairs, truck, trailer, fuel jugs, safety equipment, hotel stays, fuel bills, brake bills, ...
erliuic (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Best "affordable" GT car for a developing DE driver