Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Building a 3.0L Turbo motor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Here was my original build thread, though it's more issue de jure than building guide.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ding-blog.html

Here is the thread once I got it started:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...e-3-liter.html

Here's a thread 81 days later when I blew-up the transaxle:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ing-power.html

Since blowing up that tranny, I had Kevin Gross rebuild one, and it's held strong for the last 28k miles.

Here's a thread with a vintage dyno run:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...493-498-a.html
Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Here was my original build thread, though it's more issue de jure than building guide...
Thanks Tom, I'll merge those into the list
Old 01-09-2015, 02:46 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfc. Parts
What are your thoughts on O-ringing the block?
Contact Duke, he is making a batch of cooper ring head gaskets.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:55 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KSira
As an alternative to o-ringing the block itself? I was talking about machining the ring into the block and laying in copper wire. I hadn't heard of copper o-ring gaskets?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:14 AM
George D
Drifting

Tom did this in his home shop over time, while sharing honestly. This, in my opinion is the, "Best of Breed Success story you'll likely ever read towards what you've asked for towards a DIY 3.0.

Thanks Tom,

G

Here was my original build thread, though it's more issue de jure than building guide.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ding-blog.html

Here is the thread once I got it started:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...e-3-liter.html

Here's a thread 81 days later when I blew-up the transaxle:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ing-power.html

Since blowing up that tranny, I had Kevin Gross rebuild one, and it's held strong for the last 28k miles.

Here's a thread with a vintage dyno run:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...493-498-a.html
Old 01-09-2015, 03:39 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George D
Tom did this in his home shop over time, while sharing honestly. This, in my opinion is the, "Best of Breed Success story you'll likely ever read towards what you've asked for towards a DIY 3.0.

Thanks Tom,

G
Hey George! You've heard enough of my plans already so you know Tom's build is almost exactly what I've been thinking about and he's done a few things that hadn't occurred to me, like using a modified 928 throttle (which I just happen to have). I've pretty much already satisfied my goal of collecting some of the best examples of build threads on Rennlist I think, though I still haven't heard your complete story

But I'l keep collecting them. It's taken me nearly a year to get this far, I can't see any reason to stop now, so keep those cards and letters coming.

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed. It won't be the last you hear from me, with luck the project starts in earnest in a couple of weeks. I have the car, the block, the head and the shop (at least for a few more months). I'll be posting plenty of status and questions.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

As an alternative to o-ringing the block itself? I was talking about machining the ring into the block and laying in copper wire. I hadn't heard of copper o-ring gaskets?
It's called "Cooper" ring gaskets. It's basically a pyramid ring type of gasket. It's very best in terms of head gaskets. You can look up "athena cooper ring gasket".
No modifications are needed on the head or block.
I hope the batch gets done by the factory within a month.

Edit: adding some info from Athena who will manufacture these gaskets
"High Performance Cooper ring Insert. For specific very high horsepower applications, a conventional or MLS Head Gasket can be significantly improved utilizing a different sealing system for the combustion area. Athena utilizes a proprietary INOX steel fire ring which offers improved sealing technologies over copper and conventional fire rings. This solution dramatically increases the cylinder head gasket resistance to extreme "

I'm hoping this to be the ticket for high boost applications on the 3 liter turbo engines.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KSira
For 2.5L aswell?
Old 01-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duke
It's called "Cooper" ring gaskets. It's basically a pyramid ring type of gasket. It's very best in terms of head gaskets. You can look up "athena cooper ring gasket"....This solution dramatically increases the cylinder head gasket resistance to extreme "

I'm hoping this to be the ticket for high boost applications on the 3 liter turbo engines.
I honestly thought it was a typo

So what will these little devils cost me and how do I get on the list for a couple (remember, never do something once when you can do it twice at double the cost )
Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 AM
kont5u
Intermediate

I honestly thought it was a typo

So what will these little devils cost me and how do I get on the list for a couple (remember, never do something once when you can do it twice at double the cost )
I was wondering the same thing. If you will have some extra hg's I'll be in queue. Or perhaps these will be available for purchase straigth from the factory later on? What will be the compressed thickness on these?
Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Is the cooper ring the same principle as Cometic Phuzion gasket? http://www.frsport.com/Cometic-PH005...m_p_79077.html

Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

I've ordered a batch of 10 for the 104 mm blocks. If you're interested send me a PM. I don't have the pricing ready yet.

They differ from the Phuzion concepts as the rings in the Athena gaskets are not gas filled. They are inox rings with grooves that will cut a tiny bit into the head to lock the ring to the head. That mean that you might need to skim the head after a number of install/removals. But rings that cut into the head is the key to sealing.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
I've ordered a batch of 10 for the 104 mm blocks. If you're interested send me a PM. I don't have the pricing ready yet.

They differ from the Phuzion concepts as the rings in the Athena gaskets are not gas filled. They are inox rings with grooves that will cut a tiny bit into the head to lock the ring to the head. That mean that you might need to skim the head after a number of install/removals. But rings that cut into the head is the key to sealing.
Is the block side able to accommodate an o-ringed deck?
Old 01-13-2015, 03:28 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pm sent
Old 01-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Is the block side able to accommodate an o-ringed deck?
I'd guess that they would recommend not having o-rings. With that said, the gasket will be fiber type with silicone strings (as this is much better than steel for water and oil) so it would probably also work with o-rings. As long as it's sufficient material towards the fire ring.

Quick Reply: Building a 3.0L Turbo motor.