Building a 3.0L Turbo motor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 3.0L Turbo motor.

Hello list:

I'm in the final stages of research on building a 3.0L Turbo based on an '89 S2 motor. I've acquired a 2.7L N/A head for the engine along with the stock 2.5L turbo plumbing.

After reading a large number of build threads posted on this forum (thanks to all who've taken the time to post theirs, they've been invaluable), I've been unable to find any admitted examples of a "home" motor build and I'm soliciting folks who've done it and have perhaps written their experience up somewhere I haven't been able to find yet.

If any of you reading this have built your own motor and written it up somewhere I'd appreciate a reply with a link to the writeup. In exchange, I plan to compile the results in a single place and perhaps convince Tom to stick it somewhere obvious in the 3.0L Turbo Registry thread (Tom? Would something like that be appropriate?). I don't mean to bite the hand that feeds me so to speak, but the search capabilities on this site leave something to be desired, I've actually had more luck using Google's advanced search restricted to Rennlist to pick up what I have found and it's been a bit tedious.

I'm also interested in reading build threads written by folks that haven't built their own, but instead contracted out the build after spec'ing the motor, then installed it themselves.

By "building your own" I don't mean folks who've actually purchased an entire machine shop to port, polish & etc. heads, or O-ring and deck their own blocks. I have no intention of doing any of that. I'm just looking for threads by people who have assembled an engine and told the story. If for some reason there is someone out there that's actually not only assembled the engine but also done all the machine work, of course I'd be happy to read about it and include it in the compilation, that would be the ultimate.

For those with experience building their own motors, if you haven't already done so, a few words on how you think it went, maybe a retrospective (sort of a "10 years after" review), things you would have done different/better, would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide or point at.

EDIT: Results of this survey/questionnaire can be found directly at post #59:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...l#post11939790

Regards,

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 01-29-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Consider getting a 968 crankshaft, it shaves lbs off the rotating assembly vs the S2 crank.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:41 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

2.7L turbo-S what's that ? S2 crank is fine for a turbo motor.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

From here on, my home project is 3.0 T.

My advice would be to make the most expensive plan you can handle and stick to it from start to finish.

It gets expensive if you collect all the parts needed for one thing then change goals completely and then repeat this process several times.

My engine as it stands should be:
2.7 head
2.7 48mm intake valves
2.5 Turbo sodium filled exhaust valves
2.5 Turbo valve springs
2.5 NA 86 camshaft
JME head studs
Andial Mahle 104.5 Ferrostan 3.0 Turbo pistons
2.7 block bored to 104.5mm (2.7 and 3.0 S2 blocks are the same)
2.5 balancer shafts
3.0 S2 crankshaft with front mounted harmonic damper
2.5 Turbo Clutch assembly with Turbo Cup clutch disk
968 Oil filter housing & oil radiator
2.5 Turbo intake & exhaust headers (for now)
cometic headgasket
Custom H rods made in Germany

Modern standalone replacing every last piece of stock engine management.

Last edited by Voith; 01-05-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Engine "builders" and engine "assemblers" are two different things.

Builders will do things like deck the head and block. Do all the custom parts them selves.

Assemblers will just tighten nuts and bolts to put it together.

A lot of those 3L builds have been assembled by their owners. but you won't find step by step how to assemble a 3L motor. or what specific parts to use. No 3L is the same.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Decking head and block is machinists work, has nothing to do with engine builders. Engine builder designs and assembles the engine without leaving things to chances, home builders often slap everything together without being really sure what they are doing. Engine built like that is a gamble, it may work or self destruct in first 5, 50, 500 kilometers.

I will assemble everything myself and reject anything that was not done to standards I want because I do not trust engine builders these days. At least local builders here (in 100km radius) are not exactly staff I would like to let design and experiment on expensive stuff sponsored by me.

Much of step by step alusil 3.0 engine build is found in workshop manuals..
The following users liked this post:
RKT951 (01-31-2024)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:44 PM
blade7
Drifting

Do you already have those pistons and any particular reason for using that cam and those balancer shafts ?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

NA 86 camshaft is an upgrade to turbo camshaft since it has 1mm more exhaust lift and a bit longer duration if I remember correctly. Number of listers are running it in 3.0(+) engines, Thom and Refresh951 are or were using them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-86-951-a.html

I would love to get my hands on JME holy grail cam, but until that happens, NA 86 it is.

Balancer shafts will be there to do their job. 2.5 and 3.0 are identical, 2.7 are different, lightened by factory.

I have all the parts I listed together with all seals, bearings, etc except for cometic gasket and standalone system.. My second block is at the machine shop. First was damaged by same machine shop. I hope all goes well this time otherwise I will need another block and another machinist

Last edited by Voith; 01-05-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:56 PM
George D
Drifting

Default PM

Scott,

I've sent you two PM's, and they didn't go through. Maybe my membership is frozen? I received a renewal in my inbox, so I'll do that now. Maybe this will allow them to go through.

George

Originally Posted by Pfc. Parts
Hello list:

I'm in the final stages of research on building a 3.0L Turbo based on an '89 S2 motor. I've acquired a 2.7L N/A head for the engine along with the stock 2.5L turbo plumbing (which I understand to be the same parts used on the 2.7L turbo-S).

After reading a large number of build threads posted on this forum (thanks to all who've taken the time to post their's, they've been invaluable), I've been unable to find any admitted examples of a "home" motor build and I'm soliciting folks who've done it and have perhaps written their experience up somewhere I haven't been able to find yet.

If any of you reading this have built your own motor and written it up somewhere I'd appreciate a reply with a link to the writeup. In exchange, I plan to compile the results in a single place and perhaps convince Tom to stick it somewhere obvious in the 3.0L Turbo Registry thread (Tom? Would something like that be appropriate?). I don't mean to bite the hand that feeds me so to speak, but the search capabilities on this site leave something to be desired, I've actually had more luck using Google's advanced search restricted to Rennlist to pick up what I have found and it's been a bit tedious.

I'm also interested in reading build threads written by folks that haven't built their own, but instead contracted out the build after spec'ing the motor, then installed it themselves.

By "building your own" I don't mean folks who've actually purchased an entire machine shop to port, polish & etc. heads, or O-ring and deck their own blocks. I have no intention of doing any of that. I'm just looking for threads by people who have assembled an engine and told the story. If for some reason there is someone out there that's actually not only assembled the engine but also done all the machine work, of course I'd be happy to read about it and include it in the compilation, that would be the ultimate.

For those with experience building their own motors, if you haven't already done so, a few words on how you think it went, maybe a retrospective (sort of a "10 years after" review), things you would have done different/better, would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide or point at.

Regards,
Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 PM
George D
Drifting

Renewed...Messages sent..

G
Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Arominus
Consider getting a 968 crankshaft, it shaves lbs off the rotating assembly vs the S2 crank.
I haven't decided yet since I'm still reading build threads (I'm only nearly finished with research. Right now I'm leaning towards knifeedging the stock crank. I'd need to remove the harmonic balancer and find a dual mass flywheel to install the 968 crank, not sure I'm ready to go down that road (so to speak)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:22 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blade7
2.7L turbo-S what's that ? S2 crank is fine for a turbo motor.
The 944 Turbo S (aka 952?) is what I meant to say. 1988, 4092 produced WW. Rare as hens teeth. Very expensive car. Was the basis for the 944 S Turbo Cup cars (19 made I think) now worth well over $100K if you can even find one. I can't really figure out what this car is./was. THere are too many conflicting reports about he cup cars and their history for me to figure out what really happened.

I suppose I should have said I'd also like some idea of the turbo builds Porsche raced. If anyone has information (even educated guesses) I'd appreciate hearing it.

Last edited by Pfc. Parts; 01-06-2015 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Clarifed my confusion on this subject
Old 01-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George D
Scott,
I've sent you two PM's, and they didn't go through. Maybe my membership is frozen?
George
No, pilot error on my part. Not used to PMs yet. You should get my reply this morning I hope (if I did it right)
Old 01-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Pfc. Parts
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Voith
From here on, my home project is 3.0 T.
Great. This is one I hadn't seen yet, exactly what I'm hoping to unearth with this thread

My advice would be to make the most expensive plan you can handle and stick to it from start to finish.

It gets expensive if you collect all the parts needed for one thing then change goals completely and then repeat this process several times.

My engine as it stands should be:
2.7 head
2.7 48mm intake valves
2.5 Turbo sodium filled exhaust valves
2.5 Turbo valve springs
2.5 NA 86 camshaft
JME head studs
Andial Mahle 104.5 Ferrostan 3.0 Turbo pistons
2.7 block bored to 104.5mm (2.7 and 3.0 S2 blocks are the same)
2.5 balancer shafts
3.0 S2 crankshaft with front mounted harmonic damper
2.5 Turbo Clutch assembly with Turbo Cup clutch disk
968 Oil filter housing & oil radiator
2.5 Turbo intake & exhaust headers (for now)
cometic headgasket
Custom H rods made in Germany

Modern standalone replacing every last piece of stock engine management.
This is almost exactly the motor I've begun planning, so your build thread will be very useful for me. It looks like you did assemble your own motor? That's another plus for your thread.

Thanks very much,

Scott.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:36 AM
blade7
Drifting

NA 86 camshaft is an upgrade to turbo camshaft since it has 1mm more exhaust lift and a bit longer duration if I remember correctly. Number of listers are running it in 3.0(+) engines, Thom and Refresh951 are or were using them.

Balancer shafts will be there to do their job. 2.5 and 3.0 are identical, 2.7 are different, lightened by factory.
Interesting, I was going to use the original 2.7 cam and balancer shafts.
Did you buy the pistons from someone on rennlist ?

Quick Reply: Building a 3.0L Turbo motor.