Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 04:54 PM
lawn_mower
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This swap is super intriguing to me, and might win me over from the V8 side of things, but the fact that iAbed is involved is seriously off putting. That guy is by far the worst person/company that I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, and it's a wonder to me that he's still in business. This thread is a lot to go through, but are there items involved in the swap that are only available from him?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:36 PM
hinton
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lawn_mower
This swap is super intriguing to me, and might win me over from the V8 side of things, but the fact that iAbed is involved is seriously off putting. That guy is by far the worst person/company that I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with, and it's a wonder to me that he's still in business. This thread is a lot to go through, but are there items involved in the swap that are only available from him?
Yes, some of the parts are iAbed, and we have found the quality of those components to be awesome. Alan and I will be the ones offering customer service and support on these kits, regardless of where some of the items are sourced.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:10 PM
hinton
Racer

Special delivery!

Old 05-08-2019, 01:26 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Woooo!!!
Any word on the intake manifold yet?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 PM
Issam Abed
AutoX

Strike 2.
Originally Posted by lawn_mower
Hi Pot, This is Kettle, How are you doing? I see you have found an avenue where you feel “safe” in posting your banter without repercussion hiding behind an alias "lawn_mower"
No problem , ill bite today Mr.Wobbles

INA Engineering / iABED Industries has never sold Max Wobbles a single part let alone taken an order directly from you.
During your employment at GMP you only handled our orders (which you screwed up twice and Stephen had to resolve).
The only product of ours that you have been in contact with is the parts I supplied for GMP's S3 and the TSI RMS that we supply DAP.

So how does this work?
You handled our orders at your former place of employment , screwed up our orders twice and then left that place of employment breaching whatever customer/vendor privileges I had and suddenly I am the horrible person to deal with? This is juvenile .

Allow me to clarify this publicly. I am not horrible to deal with , you were simply at the other end of my grunt because you didn’t know your job position. 1st order fine you made a mistake , 2nd time? Not so fine almost like you were doing it on purpose.
I apologize if I was rough or rude with you but for a 24 year old you need to understand that the rectification was a complete waste of profit (understand this part) which as an employee (not a business owner) might be hard for you to grasp.

77 pages later with 0 drama and you finally have to add your input like it was needed (as though your rant on ClubMK5 wasn't enough).
If you don't like the products we make then simply put a V8 in your Porsche or better yet , go design your own parts , start your own business and compete but for now no one asked for your opinion and it certainly isn't welcome here.

Do not bother responding as anything further I will action as Libel.
Have a great life.

@Rennlist community. Sorry about this.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 PM
Issam Abed
AutoX

Originally Posted by Cjar
I'm assuming iAbed is making the adaptor for the original TTRS/RS3 engine (codes CEP, CZG) not the new aluminum block engine? I haven't lookup up parts for the new engines yet, but the only difference in the original 2.5T engine was whether or not an exhaust temp sensor was used. Same turbo for TTRS/RS3 otherwise.

Craig
Hi Craig,
the adapter works on both the 8J (MK2 TTRS/RS3 - CEPA|CEPB|CZGB) and 8S (MK3 TTRS/RS3 - DAZA) . The EGT probe as far as I know was on the European 8J models. I have not seen an 8S with an EGT probe. Regardless you can always put one in the downpipe.

Originally Posted by JWebber
The later VR6 throttle body uses the same bolt pattern . It is like most drive by wire and has 6 wires operating it . I can’t comment on the PE part as I have no background with that platform .
Later VR6 known as OBD-II are 65 x 65mm bolt pattern with a 65mm throttle plate. There is no 70+mm throttle plate DBC throttle body available in the VAG Line up.

If Alan wants to , I would strongly recommend making brackets to convert to a DBW pedal using a MK4/MK5 Jetta / Golf pedal as a good base.

DBW throttle bodies are available in 60mm all the way to 82mm from Bosch and 90mm+ from VDO/Siemens.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, what kind of fuel economy would the 07K engine (with about 300 HP) get in a Porsche 944?

I understand that fuel economy is not the reason for making such swap, but otoh since the fuel economy of a 951 is appallingly bad for a car of such low drag coefficient and frontal area, and since VW and Audi cars with 07K engines are much more fuel efficient despite higher drag, I'm wondering if the engine swap might not only make more torque and power, but also boost economy.

This car should be getting 40+ mpg at normal highway cruise speed.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Dash01
BTW, what kind of fuel economy would the 07K engine (with about 300 HP) get in a Porsche 944?

I understand that fuel economy is not the reason for making such swap, but otoh since the fuel economy of a 951 is appallingly bad for a car of such low drag coefficient and frontal area, and since VW and Audi cars with 07K engines are much more fuel efficient despite higher drag, I'm wondering if the engine swap might not only make more torque and power, but also boost economy.

This car should be getting 40+ mpg at normal highway cruise speed.
The 07K Jetta got 22 city and 30 hwy, I’m assuming it will be similar?
Old 05-19-2019, 02:10 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hinton
The 07K Jetta got 22 city and 30 hwy, I’m assuming it will be similar?
My daughter had a Passat with the 1.8Turbo and got close to 40 mpg cruising down I-5 from Seattle to SLO, and the Passat drag coefficient is surely not as good as a Porsche 951, nor is its frontal area as small.

Our cars are pretty slippery, and with 5 speed manual transmission should be getting somewhere near 40 mpg at highway cruise speed.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

951 looks slippery but is an ancient oxcart fuel economy wise.
you might be surprised at looking at Cd of 951 versus modern VW, frontal area aside.

big bores, "side plug/wedge" 2v head, fixed cam timing, low compression, no EGR....can't put your cruising spark advance and AFR where it would need to be for MPG.
fat tires, short gearing (~3000rpm or so at 75, right?), still a big dead (drag) area behind the tail lights (though improved over a 2.0 924 due to the spoiler).

might as well be comparing these two

Old 05-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Robstevens
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of short gearing, how compatible will the 07k be with the turbo transaxle in that regard? I have an LS3 996 and that probably the greatest issue with that swap.

Further to do the mileage discussion, the 996 is probably decently aerodynamic, but my tendency to put my foot in it means I never seem to get above 12 mpg....
Old 05-19-2019, 03:47 PM
hinton
Racer

Originally Posted by Robstevens
Speaking of short gearing, how compatible will the 07k be with the turbo transaxle in that regard? I have an LS3 996 and that probably the greatest issue with that swap.

Further to do the mileage discussion, the 996 is probably decently aerodynamic, but my tendency to put my foot in it means I never seem to get above 12 mpg....
I’m not an expert on gearing in these cars. With that being said, I would think that the 07K will have a healthier midrange and will obviously rev higher. I don’t see it being an issue based on how the gearing felt in my tuned 951. Anyone with more experience swapping to a 968 transaxle or final drive want to chime in?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Different car entirely but still close enough, my wife's '06 Impreza has a 2.5L 4-valve making about 170hp/tq with gearing that turns 3000 at 75 or so...exactly like an 07K on a 951 box.
It's fine, if a little noisy.

That car with VVT/EGR will average 25 mpg mixed and can touch 30 on a highway trip.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing to consider too, is the stock engine management system for the Volkswagen engine is configured for stoichiometric combustion (complete total burn of fuel) per EPA standards. I'm no engine tuning guru, but I know most aftermarket systems allow for any range of custom air fuel ratios, depending on your power/efficiency goals.

So however PE tunes Alan's engine will dictate how efficient the car will be. I would consistently average low 20's MPG with the 30 year old 4 cylinder, so I'd think with EGR, VVT, an oil-air separator (catch can) and other efficiency systems hooked up (which I do plan on doing), as long as you have a rather conservative driving style, you could get any range of Mpg you want. 40 Mpg might be stretching it though.

Last edited by senior_squishy; 05-19-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:31 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
Another thing to consider too, is the stock engine management system for the Volkswagen engine is configured for stoichiometric combustion (complete total burn of fuel) per EPA standards. I'm no engine tuning guru, but I know most aftermarket systems allow for any range of custom air fuel ratios, depending on your power/efficiency goals.

So however PE tunes Alan's engine will dictate how efficient the car will be. I would consistently average low 20's MPG with the 30 year old 4 cylinder, so I'd think with EGR, VVT, an oil-air separator (catch can) and other efficiency systems hooked up (which I do plan on doing), as long as you have a rather conservative driving style, you could get any range of Mpg you want. 40 Mpg might be stretching it though.
Any engine with aftermarket ECU that sees street use is usually tuned to run at stoichiometric AFRs during cruise and light load. There is no reason to not do this. My 951 has VEMS engine management and big 800 cc injectors with Bosch 044 fuel pump and 3.0 bar fuel pressure regulator, and during freeway driving I get the exact same mileage as I did with a 100% bone-stock setup. I also was able to easily tune it to pass the CA tailpipe emissions/smog test with the factory catalytic converter installed. Fuel economy under boost is another story entirely!

To nitpick further, like most modern engines, the 07K doesn't have a dedicated EGR system---rather it uses the variable camshaft timing system to create overlap during certain light load conditions and cause an EGR effect. No EGR hardware necessary. To those planning on running standalone engine management with the 07K, tuning the VVT system and/or electronic throttle body will add to the learning curve, but it should be doable.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread