Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 09:52 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
I have a '68 911. Not sure of the differences in sheet metal back there relative to a 964, but if it would help I can take some measurements and see if the 07K would fit. The car is at my buddy's shop, so it would be next week before I could look at it.
I thought I replied with a yes please and thank you - but I cant find it now That would be great! No rush because I'm working on a garage remodel before the car comes apart, so I have time In the dreaming/planning phases now.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know I'm late to the party but I thought I'd show the new muscle

Yes, it's under a deck, yes, those are old ski's on the bottom of the pallet, and yes, there was like a foot of snow when it made the trip from the donor car to where it sits now. Shout out to my buddy Alex for helping me get this thing into a safe spot until my spring semester is over, and to my 4Runner, to which we attached a tow rope and used to pull the "Sled" out back
Old 02-02-2019, 11:06 AM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you put too much time into making that bracket pretty, let me take a measurement in CAD... you might have to cut more off the top for the intake manifold to clear.

I bolted it back on lastnight to show just what all I cut back .
Old 02-02-2019, 11:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

with the cutoff bracket is your intention to not run PS?
if i were to go down this road i'd just want ac/alt.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:36 AM
senior_squishy
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I'm trying to figure out a way to do an electric PS pump in hopes of keeping those. There's a guy on here who I think used either an MR2 or TRW electric pump with fitting conversions.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:57 AM
JWebber
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The part I cut off is where the factory engine mount attached in the transverse application . The power steering pump mounts where the AC compressor used to be now . My AC has not worked in the 3 years I have owned this car and I have not really missed it . Besides , don’t need AC because of two words ,,,,,, race car 😆
Old 02-02-2019, 12:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
I'm trying to figure out a way to do an electric PS pump in hopes of keeping those. There's a guy on here who I think used either an MR2 or TRW electric pump with fitting conversions.
MR2 stuff is increasingly hard to find, but FYI 2000s era Volvo S40 also had an electric PS pump that can be figured out.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:27 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

MR2 stuff is increasingly hard to find, but FYI 2000s era Volvo S40 also had an electric PS pump that can be figured out.
Actually by sheer happenstance, looking at all the electric PS equipment in online stores, I saw the S40 pump along with the Mazda 3 and Mini pumps. Thanks for the bump in the right direction!
Old 02-02-2019, 12:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

the real problem with E-PS is the electronic **** they use...
but some of those motors might be able to be disassembled and "hotwired".
years ago i put a fan from a volvo S60 onto my 944...it came with a PWM controller box.
but if you opened the box up there was all the fancy circuitry and purple wires...and 2 big stonkin power/ground leads.
wired it to battery via relay and 944 fan switch, worked just fine.

a standard belt-driven PS pump runs 100% of the time at low pressure since youre mostly driving in a straight line.
it only makes real pressure when you're going slow on the steering locks.

since the 944 PS rack has valving to assist based on the direction the wheel is turned, i'd think you could just run an electric pump 100% of the time (maybe put a resistor to slow the speed, like the fans?) and it'd just bypass flow like standard until you turn the wheel. would probably need a decent PS cooler though.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:40 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

the real problem with E-PS is the electronic **** they use...
but some of those motors might be able to be disassembled and "hotwired".
years ago i put a fan from a volvo S60 onto my 944...it came with a PWM controller box.
but if you opened the box up there was all the fancy circuitry and purple wires...and 2 big stonkin power/ground leads.
wired it to battery via relay and 944 fan switch, worked just fine.

a standard belt-driven PS pump runs 100% of the time at low pressure since youre mostly driving in a straight line.
it only makes real pressure when you're going slow on the steering locks.

since the 944 PS rack has valving to assist based on the direction the wheel is turned, i'd think you could just run an electric pump 100% of the time (maybe put a resistor to slow the speed, like the fans?) and it'd just bypass flow like standard until you turn the wheel. would probably need a decent PS cooler though.
I'm thinking the same thing. Been reading this thread here:
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/volvo-electro-hydraulic-power-steering
It looks promising. Hook up 12V & ground to the input and one 12v to one of the CANBUS pins (I forget which one) and it runs drawing around 6-7 amps under no load, and 20-25 amps under turning.
With a decent cooler like you said, and run it around 70-75%, I think it's a viable option.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

7. I do not recommend installing the stock 07K coils. They could potentially hit the bottom of your hood. They just barely clear the hood on my car, but for a better fit, I recommend getting the shorter coils from an Audi S4 V8 (B6 or B7), which are about 7 mm shorter. PN is 077905115T. You need to trim the rubber boot to fit the valve cover. This will be detailed in the instructions.

[and vr6 TB stuff]

Alan, are you planning to sell the throttle body and coils as part of a future phase or these parts we should get hold of on our own please? if we're sourcing them, might you have a part number for the VR6 TB please? (Looks like it was fitted to a few different years and models of cars and don't know if there are any differences). Thank you! The quality of the kit parts is absolutely incredible by the way.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:21 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by senior_squishy
I'm thinking the same thing. Been reading this thread here:
https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/volvo-electro-hydraulic-power-steering
It looks promising. Hook up 12V & ground to the input and one 12v to one of the CANBUS pins (I forget which one) and it runs drawing around 6-7 amps under no load, and 20-25 amps under turning.
With a decent cooler like you said, and run it around 70-75%, I think it's a viable option.
...i wonder...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Acti...woM:rk:15:pf:0
Old 02-02-2019, 03:22 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Taymar

Alan, are you planning to sell the throttle body and coils as part of a future phase or these parts we should get hold of on our own please? if we're sourcing them, might you have a part number for the VR6 TB please? (Looks like it was fitted to a few different years and models of cars and don't know if there are any differences). Thank you! The quality of the kit parts is absolutely incredible by the way.
Aaron, the PN for the throttle body I’m using is 021133064A. I believe it’s from a ‘96 to ‘98 VW Golf, Jetta, or Passat VR6.

I don’t plan to sell the coils or TB since they are standard parts that can be sourced easily elsewhere. Same goes for the 1.8T PS pump (PN 1J0422152G).

Thanks so much for the feedback, really glad you like the kit.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:35 PM
senior_squishy
Racer

Quick unit conversion... 10 MPa = 10 N/mm^2 = 1450 lb/in^2 (psi), should be more than enough to turn some wheels. After all, these are the same things they use for dump trailers... The only problem now is finding an ESC for the motor to control it so that it's not too sensitive at high speeds and powerful enough for parking at low speeds. Another tap into the rear transmission speed signal paired with a microcontroller with a linear progression "for loop" would probably do the trick.

Edit: Maybe something like this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-DC12V-...r3nW:rk:8:pf:0
And like stated before, use something to control the potentiometer for pump speed like an Arduino.

Last edited by senior_squishy; 02-02-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Taymar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaron, the PN for the throttle body I’m using is 021133064A. I believe it’s from a ‘96 to ‘98 VW Golf, Jetta, or Passat VR6.

I don’t plan to sell the coils or TB since they are standard parts that can be sourced easily elsewhere. Same goes for the 1.8T PS pump (PN 1J0422152G).

Thanks so much for the feedback, really glad you like the kit.
Perfect, thank you!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread