Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Did Porsche detuned the 951? Or it was fate? Article inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Having driven both the 944 and gt3, I actually prefer the way the gt3 handles. These are great cars and handle much better than their layout may have you think. I like the way the gt3 grips out of corners and its very precise turn in. I would rather track a gt3 over a 944 if I had the budget.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

How would 944 compare to gt3 if they would have sunk that much developing in to it as they did with 911 and tatra before that?

911 design is inferior to 944 as can be seen lately with Nissan GTR. I wonder how much development went in to GTR vs 911. Something like 1:10.000.000
Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Having driven both the 944 and gt3, I actually prefer the way the gt3 handles. These are great cars and handle much better than their layout may have you think. I like the way the gt3 grips out of corners and its very precise turn in. I would rather track a gt3 over a 944 if I had the budget.
never understood the point of the thread, too much Foster?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Maybe you haven't driven either design on the track - but here is a general tip;

Unstable can also mean quick to turn in, easy to rotate and generally responsive (in the right hands)
Stable can also mean slow to turn in, not responsive to trail braking and, in general, just too stable to be quick.

Now obviously I like the 944 chassis but to say that cars that have anything other than a 50/50 weight distribution are 'bad' is just not true. Unless you have driven a well set up 911 at the track you just are just recycling internet 'intelligence'.

BTW - the reason I say at the track is that you cannot get anywhere near the capabilities of a well set up 944 or 911 on the street. Ask anybody that has had the chance to drive around the track in a Porsche - they will all agree that the limit is not approachable on the street.
Your last sentence is "intelligence", pot.

tino
Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

As for our cars...clearly I have a sickness but I'm not blind to their limitations. I'd love to swap out the trailing arm rear suspension for something from this Century. Well even late last would do, like Duke has.

I can't believe how much squat we got in the car, even with 1500lb rear springs.
The motion ratio works against us even though plenty of good results have been witnessed with our pre WW2 suspension design.
Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951

never understood the point of the thread, too much Foster?
Not many Australians drink fosters. We export it to unfortunate countries and save the better beer for ourselves.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:59 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'd love to swap out the trailing arm rear suspension for something from this Century. Well even late last would do, like Duke has.

anyone...

1. what wishbone is Duke using?

2. can his setup be copied for less than 1 million dollars??

3. where to get: aftermarket/wrecked/burnt exotics/less exotics/ebay?

4. would a street car get any benefit from running a wishbone or is our pre-historic suspension good enough?

5. if I lived in Florida (year round), Texas or California, I'd definitely go stiffer front and back... but I drive on ****ty New England/New York roads and half-chewed-up interstate just about everyplace else... is there any benefit running only a stiffer rear suspension for the street?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Not many Australians drink fosters. We export it to unfortunate countries and save the better beer for ourselves.
Only fair I suppose as we exported our criminals to your country, in fact you're overdue for some more I think. .
Old 12-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Only fair I suppose as we exported our criminals to your country, in fact you're overdue for some more I think. .
No thanks.. LOL!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
anyone...

1. what wishbone is Duke using?

2. can his setup be copied for less than 1 million dollars??

3. where to get: aftermarket/wrecked/burnt exotics/less exotics/ebay?

4. would a street car get any benefit from running a wishbone or is our pre-historic suspension good enough?

5. if I lived in Florida (year round), Texas or California, I'd definitely go stiffer front and back... but I drive on ****ty New England/New York roads and half-chewed-up interstate just about everyplace else... is there any benefit running only a stiffer rear suspension for the street?
man that would be over kill. you wouldn't feel the benefit on the street. You cannot even take a 951 to it's limits on the street with a semi slick tyre nor even a road tyre. KW v3s and you're good to go. That's my plans anyway as far as the research i've done goes.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:25 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by odurandina
anyone... 1. what wishbone is Duke using? 2. can his setup be copied for less than 1 million dollars?? 3. where to get: aftermarket/wrecked/burnt exotics/less exotics/ebay? 4. would a street car get any benefit from running a wishbone or is our pre-historic suspension good enough? 5. if I lived in Florida (year round), Texas or California, I'd definitely go stiffer front and back... but I drive on ****ty New England/New York roads and half-chewed-up interstate just about everyplace else... is there any benefit running only a stiffer rear suspension for the street?
1. Duke grafted a 996 based rear suspension onto his car.
2. I had a 996 on one lift, and a 944 on the other, and wondered the same. You're looking at some serious coin in fabrication labor.
3. Whats exotic about a 996 rear suspension? Any Porsche dismantler should have a few laying around.
4. You'd see no results on the street. As for the track, it would move you into the big boy category, where you'd need more than just a rear suspension to be competitive...
5. Just get a good coilover setup and you'll be happy, most spring rate set ups are too stiff for the street and too soft for the track, anyway...
Old 12-15-2013, 01:33 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
No thanks.. LOL!
Will you at least take back Jason Donovan and Dame Edna
Old 12-15-2013, 03:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lee101315
2. I had a 996 on one lift, and a 944 on the other, and wondered the same. You're looking at some serious coin in fabrication labor.
3. Whats exotic about a 996 rear suspension? Any Porsche dismantler should have a few laying around.
4. You'd see no results on the street. As for the track, it would move you into the big boy category, where you'd need more than just a rear suspension to be competitive...
5. Just get a good coilover setup and you'll be happy, most spring rate set ups are too stiff for the street and too soft for the track, anyway...
This...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thanks all.

and to the Aussies:

Fanning came up huge in the final seconds of 2 heats (like the bloody bastard basically has done all year) to bite
Kelly again for the title, in the most incredible/knurly pipe evarr. what a way to represent.... congrats.

recap;

http://www.surfline.com/video/contes...-finals_105022

Originally Posted by Paulyy
man that would be over kill. you wouldn't feel the benefit on the street. You cannot even take a 951 to it's limits on the street with a semi slick tyre nor even a road tyre. KW v3s and you're good to go. That's my plans anyway as far as the research i've done goes.
Originally Posted by lee101315
Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

This one had air rear suspension. Fine swap option.

Quick Reply: Did Porsche detuned the 951? Or it was fate? Article inside