Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My porsche 944 S2 16 valve turbo project

Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White

looks like $10k is your ballpark answer!
Ouch, a 16v isn't an option for me though pistons would have to be bought whether 8 or 16v and manifolds would have been DIY, though a dry sump kit pushes up the price some more.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:54 PM
blade7
Drifting

One other thought....its interesting that everybody likes to talk about horsepower....I like to think in torque,
Me too I'm not entering any races.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
I can just imagine what Rolex is spending.......
Rob pulled the plug late last year. He got married and was expecting his first child. We were actually getting close to putting it all together, but he just didn't want to spend anymore and with the current 944 market he wouldn't be able to sell it for anywhere near the cost.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blade7
Ouch, a 16v isn't an option for me though pistons would have to be bought whether 8 or 16v and manifolds would have been DIY, though a dry sump kit pushes up the price some more.
4V turbo pistons will be custom. Wossner now makes the 2V turbo pistons as a standard item, which drops the price several hundred bucks.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harry, Chris, Duke... And others.

I'm curious of your thoughts on having a custom intake cam that would delay the opening of one valve? Idea is to keep port velocity up at low lift. Speaking 4v of course. This is using an s head and on a 3.0 with a 105.5 bore.

TIA
Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by 67King
4V turbo pistons will be custom. Wossner now makes the 2V turbo pistons as a standard item, which drops the price several hundred bucks.
I never did get a reply from Wossner when I asked about Alusil compatible 104.5mm pistons, it seemed Wossner had an arrangement with one or two US retailers for exclusive supply. Buying from the US adds almost $400 duty/tax/postage and Lindsey said even if I bought from them Wossner refused to ship direct to me .
Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Rob pulled the plug late last year. He got married and was expecting his first child. We were actually getting close to putting it all together, but he just didn't want to spend anymore and with the current 944 market he wouldn't be able to sell it for anywhere near the cost.
Smartest thing he could ever do. Glad to hear it sounds like he's doing well and happy.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:23 PM
67King
Race Car

I never did get a reply from Wossner when I asked about Alusil compatible 104.5mm pistons, it seemed Wossner had an arrangement with one or two US retailers for exclusive supply. Buying from the US adds almost $400 duty/tax/postage and Lindsey said even if I bought from them Wossner refused to ship direct to me .
WOssner doesn't ship directly. They have distributors, which is a pretty common practice. If they were out there competing with their dealers getting twice or more of the margin, they wouldn't have any dealers.

Try www.wossneronline.com. It is owned by Racer's Edge. He ships woldwide, usually through USPS, and it isn't anywhere near $400.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Email sent Harry.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM
blade7
Drifting

WOssner doesn't ship directly. They have distributors, which is a pretty common practice. If they were out there competing with their dealers getting twice or more of the margin, they wouldn't have any dealers.

Try www.wossneronline.com. It is owned by Racer's Edge. He ships woldwide, usually through USPS, and it isn't anywhere near $400.
Importing into the UK from outside the EU ie the US will attract high import tax, hence the request to buy from the US vendor but ship directly from Wossner. I don't see any conflict of interest there or the point in shipping across the Atlantic twice.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

You'd think there would be a UK agent for Wossner? Even so, if you had to order it from Racers Edge and they request that the package gets sent direct to the UK?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

So the 2v turbo pistons are back as 'standard'? Last I knew that were off the standard list and back on to the custom price!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by blown 944

I'm curious of your thoughts on having a custom intake cam that would delay the opening of one valve? Idea is to keep port velocity up at low lift. Speaking 4v of course. This is using an s head and on a 3.0 with a 105.5 bore.

TIA
port velocity won't change, you are still sucking in the same amount of air through the port. What you might gain is more swirl in the combustion chamber.

What you want in port velocity is to get a higher velocity for the same flow rate. A well designed smaller port will flow the same volume as a large poorly designed port (this is where you have to watch out for people that just post CFM numbers from a flow bench). The smaller port design will typically have higher flow velocities and it will be a better performer.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 PM
67King
Race Car

Importing into the UK from outside the EU ie the US will attract high import tax, hence the request to buy from the US vendor but ship directly from Wossner. I don't see any conflict of interest there or the point in shipping across the Atlantic twice.
There is export documentation that specifies "country of origin," which would list Germany. I don't believe that it would matter where they were shipped from for that purpose. Goods are shipped to dealers in bulk, not on a per order basis, so it wouldn't effectively be shipping a set of pistons across the Atlantic twice. Furthermore, there are warehouses in various places, it could be that the pistons you need are already in a warehouse in the States, since the sales of pistons from the US is what led Wossner to start making them a standard, rather than custom, piston.

At the end of the day, Wossner doesn't deal with individual piston orders, so what makes sense to an end user may not make sense to Wossner. If 90% of one piston is sold in one country, it may make more sense to just stock all of them in that country, rather than try to balance things.

Conflict of interest is that it is in a manufacturer's best interest to have a dealer network. But if said manufacturer plays the role of dealer, it is in a position to drive the competing dealers out of business, because they are able to do things the dealers can't. Doesn't have anything to do with shipping.

Actually, I believe you can go and order the pistons online, and get a quote for shipping wihtout committing to buying them.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by blown 944

TIA
Doesn't do much. It may induce swirl at low lift, but it'll be overwhelmed for the majority of flow. I'd wondered the same thing when I was starting to learn things at Ford. Good question, good idea, but it turns out not to be very effective. Unless you get rediculous with it, and have much less lift on one lobe.

Keep in mind that for cam events, peak flow is most critical for intake, and low lift flow is most critical for exhaust. You'll be mach limited in the low flow region (at higher RPM) unless you have way too much cam, any way you slice it. You make up for that at high lift.

On the exhaust side, your highest delta P is at EVO, and you want to get as much of that spent gas out of the chamber as quickly as you can, so EVO is critical. That's one of the reasons you see some 30, 35, 37, and 40 degree exhaust seats - it increases the area available for flow at low lift. But you don't see that on intake ports very often.

What you are really after is an IMRC or a CMCV - Intake Manifold Runner Control, which closes off one port at low RPM. Or a CMCV, which is a Charge Motion Control Valve, which blocks part of a port at part throttle. The IMRC is better at what you are trying to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My porsche 944 S2 16 valve turbo project