944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014 | 01:12 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Awesome results - nice job Shawn! Sounds like you're having a ball with this project!
Old 03-28-2014 | 02:49 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

So are you going to modify anything on the new intake....version 2.0 ????
Old 03-29-2014 | 05:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Hey Shawn,
This might be something worth playing with, I noticed it today at the boneyard. It appears to be a flow-straightener device, placed between the throttle body and the "plenum" off a late-model Ford 4.6 2v engine. My guess is they keep air attached at the small/large radii of the plenum.

One of the first steps people take in getting power from the 4.6 is to increase TB/plenum size as the plenum is thought to be restrictive for airflow, due to the 90* bend the air makes entering the manifold. Maybe this was Ford's solution while keeping costs down? Your intake makes a curve after the TB too.

Looks to be only on the drive-by-wire variants of the 4.6 2v, so likely the last few years of production only. I saw 3 or 4 of these engines/TBs within a 25 ft radius.
Attached Images    
Old 03-30-2014 | 12:41 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Great news Shawn! Can you also add a pic of your dyno with the stock intake for comparison.
That's a big jump at the wheels for only 1psi!!
Originally Posted by blown 944
Yes please post a comparison..

Awesome results!!
Originally Posted by jmj951
How much - if any - torque did you lose at the lower RPM's with the new intake? I'm curious how much the area under the curve changed between 2,000-3,500 RPM's.
I will hopefully have some accurate comparison charts soon. I think the charts and data will be highly interesting. I am trying to get back to the dyno this Thursday with new injectors to verify a couple things.

Originally Posted by Thom
A longer duration/lift cam timed correctly should now flatten up that slightly falling torque curve.

Well done Shawn!
Thanks Thom. I am pretty happy with the torque slope at this point given the 8V head. The intake cut the declining slope by about 50%.

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Awesome results - nice job Shawn! Sounds like you're having a ball with this project!
Thanks Jim! Snow starting to melt up their?
Old 03-30-2014 | 12:45 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
So are you going to modify anything on the new intake....version 2.0 ????
Pretty happy with the intake as it stands.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Hey Shawn,
This might be something worth playing with, I noticed it today at the boneyard. It appears to be a flow-straightener device, placed between the throttle body and the "plenum" off a late-model Ford 4.6 2v engine. My guess is they keep air attached at the small/large radii of the plenum.
That is an interesting part! I am sure quite a bit of math went into its design. Based on static flow and looking at my plugs several times I am pretty happy with the intake as it stands.
Old 04-01-2014 | 04:21 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Yes it is interesting. I have been analyzing logs all weekend . The loss of power in mid range makes sense to me and I expected it. The stock long runners provide dynamic charging in this rpm range so in effect it appears as higher boost at the cylinders (probably on the order of 1-2 psi). With this dynamic charging removed power is reduced here. I think the stock long runners start hurting VE above about 5500 rpm and this is when this intake should be beneficial. At the dyno I will rev to about 6600 rpm. Wish I could go higher as I think it would keep making power but I will not risk it from an oiling standpoint.

The much quicker spool really was unexpected. Going to think about it a bit more and try to understand better why.
I'm just wondering if you are seeing earlier tq as well due to the better spool? I was actually expecting to see your tq shift further to the rhs with the shorter runners Shawn but am now very curious to see how this has been affected compared to the stock intake. I'm actually wanting to shift the tq across a bit and assumed the shorter runners would do it, but am not so sure now based on what you've found to date?
Old 04-01-2014 | 10:12 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

How did you settle on that plenum volume again?
Old 04-01-2014 | 07:04 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'm just wondering if you are seeing earlier tq as well due to the better spool? I was actually expecting to see your tq shift further to the rhs with the shorter runners Shawn but am now very curious to see how this has been affected compared to the stock intake. I'm actually wanting to shift the tq across a bit and assumed the shorter runners would do it, but am not so sure now based on what you've found to date?
I think some things I previously posted are not accurate. The quicker spool is related to comparing street pulls with dyno pulls and the loading is different. Hoping to go back to the dyno this Thursday and test a couple more things then I will do a write-up of the comparison. I am very happy with the short runner intake at this point and will have a great deal to share once I am 100% sure of the results.
Old 04-01-2014 | 07:09 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Shawn. Shall await results.
Old 04-02-2014 | 05:12 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by refresh951
I think some things I previously posted are not accurate. The quicker spool is related to comparing street pulls with dyno pulls and the loading is different. Hoping to go back to the dyno this Thursday and test a couple more things then I will do a write-up of the comparison.
Thanks for that.
When I swapped intakes, and even after reworking the ign profile and boost settings, I noticed little to no difference on how soon in the RPM band I would reach peak boost, so I was a bit surprised about your initial reports... but then you turbo is a bit larger than mine too...

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more of your results.

Last edited by Thom; 04-02-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2014 | 09:27 AM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Hey Shawn,
This might be something worth playing with, I noticed it today at the boneyard. It appears to be a flow-straightener device, placed between the throttle body and the "plenum" off a late-model Ford 4.6 2v engine.
Damn, make a brother feel old, why don't you? Stuff I worked on showing up in u-pull-it yards? Ouch. That device was put in for NVH - "Noise, Vibration, Harshness." When Ford went ETC, the strategy they used was to whack that throttle plate wide freakin' open at tip-in. Personally, I hated it. Made the car feel undrivable, and dangerous in parking lots. Regardless, one of the side affects was that when you went from a big vacuum in the plenum to essentially WOT at idle speeds, you hear a "whoosh." So, we started having to put "whoosh plates" on a lot of the applications where ETC was retrofitted onto an existing platform.

Ug, what a f***ing nightmare dealing wtih those yahoos in the vehicle center was.

It has no performance improvement, whatsoever.
Old 04-02-2014 | 09:51 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 67King
Damn, make a brother feel old, why don't you? Stuff I worked on showing up in u-pull-it yards? Ouch. That device was put in for NVH - "Noise, Vibration, Harshness." When Ford went ETC, the strategy they used was to whack that throttle plate wide freakin' open at tip-in. Personally, I hated it. Made the car feel undrivable, and dangerous in parking lots. Regardless, one of the side affects was that when you went from a big vacuum in the plenum to essentially WOT at idle speeds, you hear a "whoosh." So, we started having to put "whoosh plates" on a lot of the applications where ETC was retrofitted onto an existing platform.

Ug, what a f***ing nightmare dealing wtih those yahoos in the vehicle center was.

It has no performance improvement, whatsoever.
Don't worry, they were retired taxis so their lives were well over.
The weird thing was just how clean the plenums were despite their super-high miles. Still, a neat part.
Old 04-02-2014 | 09:22 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Very nice shawn! very nice indeed!

pm sent.
Old 04-02-2014 | 09:23 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

160 lb/hr injectors are in. I love Rogue's tuner/logger. Dropped fuel pressure to 3 bar, adjusted global fuel and injector dead time. Three tuning passes and I am dead on. AFR's are perfect. Idle is perfect. Dyno tomorrow night.
Old 04-02-2014 | 11:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

went for the full fire-hoses eh

Quick Reply: Refresh951's Hybrid Ultra Stroker Build