Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pikington will make saratoga tops Again

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:10 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To get the same level of noise reduction, I am now up to 3 nickels. So the more pressure you put on the tab the more it bends and pretty quickly.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by PEvans
Here are some pics of the left front latch on my original Saratoga. I mis-spoke, you can't really tighten the latch by screwing it down. The shaft does screw into the part that goes through the glass, and one of my latches rotates freely in the hole in the glass, so you have to play with it to get it tight in the right position. it is possible the height of the post or the angle of the blade are different, it is not obvious to me. It is also not obvious that the blade is stiffer or thicker.

I guess on this one you might be able to make it tighter by removing the washer.
Hey Pete
I would bet the metal is not only different, but are both shaped differently and made of different metal The finish on the side looks totally different ( your old one is smooth and higher quality as opposed to the picture I shot That side of the metal looks unfinished and rolled ... ??
See a A -B comparison
Attached Images   
Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Meine44
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both, if you can think of a non-destructive way to test it. Looking at the two latches, it is not obvious that the new ones are weaker.

I can't compare the fit of the two tops because my old one has no seal (and I bought it that way).
Remove a tab from both the old and new roof. Take them each to the nearest university's engineering school. They should have a Rockwell Hardness tester. It will make a pin sized indent in the metal, not much larger than a few grains of sand.

This will tell you which metal is harder, and therefore stronger.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Made a startling discovery today when I removed the nickels. The tabs are fatigued so bad now in the closed position there is a 3/16 to 1/4" air gap making zero contact! I am going to post some pictures hopefully you can make out what I am showing. I wish I could post a video. No wonder I have so much wind noise at 70 and up! I did try an experiment. With the cruise set at 75 I can make the noise go away by simply pulling down on the forward part of the tab with two fingers. Very little force is required to make the wind noise disappear so if the tabs were not flexing there should be no issue.
Attached Images    

Last edited by URG8RB8; 04-08-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

The current metal tabs are just to malleable ... PERIOD
I could see that from the beginning !!
When I first put the roof in, those tabs were very snug ...
Within a few weeks the tension had completely disappeared ....
I really hope someone from Pilk is reading these threads ??
I think this could be an easy fix ? ...and I would be willing to pay a little to get a fix and help them out ...
Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Eddie: Can you make out from the pics I posted just how much of an air gap I now have in the "locked" position? I need a kid to help me post a video. The damn thing is literally flopping in the wind like a tarp now. I will go to HD and get some stick on rubber feet tonight for another temporary fix.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Eddie: Can you make out from the pics I posted just how much of an air gap I now have in the "locked" position? I need a kid to help me post a video. The damn thing is literally flopping in the wind like a tarp now. I will go to HD and get some stick on rubber feet tonight for another temporary fix.
Yes I can because I know how this metal bends so easily
If you put rubber in there its only going to bend even more
You will solve it for a few days or week but its going to bend even more
Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Default Good News

I just spoke to Pilk and they are truly working on this ....
They realize there is an issue and and working on a fix....
That to me is great news ....
It seems it is what we suspected ... there is an issue with the malleability of the metal ? But they are still doing testing
So we need to sit tight and wait for them to come up with a solution.
The person I spoke to today said he was sorry for not getting back to me when I called earlier, after he came back from vacation...
So, I think we are on the right track now
Best regards
Ed
Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I just spoke to Pilk and they are truly working on this ....
They realize there is an issue and and working on a fix....
That to me is great news ....
It seems it is what we suspected ... there is an issue with the malleability of the metal ? But they are still doing testing
So we need to sit tight and wait for them to come up with a solution.
The person I spoke to today said he was sorry for not getting back to me when I called earlier, after he came back from vacation...
So, I think we are on the right track now
Best regards
Ed
You rock.

What is a vacation, and how come the person you need is always on one? :-)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

You rock.

What is a vacation, and how come the person you need is always on one? :-)
LOL
I assume it was a vacation
I should have followed up when they didn't call back originally, but got a little pissed and lazy...
I have not used spaces to make it tighter, just because I figured it would only bend it more ....
Just looking at the picture of your old sun roof latches makes me think the metal is totally different .... and its shaped differently ...
Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
JonRolls
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am having similar problems with my new top, when I first fitted it the drivers side catch (rhs i'm in blighty!) was so tight that the plastic catch distorted while i was trying to close it. After it had been on for a week or so while driving I couldn't understand where all the noise was coming from, suddenly realised that both catches had fallen open. When I went to close them they were so loose that I had to get my daughter to fold up some paper and stuff it under the metal tabs. This paper is still there. I still get a lot of noise over 100 at the moment but at 80-90 it's pretty quiet. I have just purchased some M6 brass threaded black bakelite wing nuts from ebay and was going to remove the original fixings and replace them with s/steel coachbolts so I have a tightenable set-up. I just thought I'd check on here and surprise you are all having similar problems. Keep me posted with Pilk if you can, I just left a message from here but I doubt if they will call the UK back!

I think it's a great product just needs a bit of tweaking which they really should have done, my 951 has a very dark Marineblau interior so it's a great improvement! Much better than the solid roof. I'll take some pics at the w/e regards Jon
Old 04-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

After reading these updates, I looked at mine again....and drove it at 70 MPH. I still do not have the reported issues. I purchased mine right around December 1, 2013. Wonder if the issues will manifest or if there was any revision to the design. Will report back with future developments.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Meine44
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
After reading these updates, I looked at mine again....and drove it at 70 MPH. I still do not have the reported issues. I purchased mine right around December 1, 2013. Wonder if the issues will manifest or if there was any revision to the design. Will report back with future developments.
I see that your are from Chicago, IL, so not a year-round car and definitely not exposed to sun year-round.

I'm still suspicious that the cars in warmer climates are more prone to failure.

The rubber grommets that hold the latches to the glass itself may be failing due to heat.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Originally Posted by Meine44
I see that your are from Chicago, IL, so not a year-round car and definitely not exposed to sun year-round.

I'm still suspicious that the cars in warmer climates are more prone to failure.

The rubber grommets that hold the latches to the glass itself may be failing due to heat.
Guys we live in Northern CA.... (Eric, Pete and I )
The ave temp is around 74 degrees here
Day time 70-80
Nightime 48-55
This aint TX
My car is in the garage 23 out of 24 hrs a day
This has nothing to do with the temps, trust me
Regards
Ed
Old 04-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No noise on my roof, and my car has spent a considerable amount of time outside since I installed it.

Quick Reply: Pikington will make saratoga tops Again