Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:51 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to see this. I, unfortunately, understand the pain all too well....

It looks very odd. Maybe I missed something in the thread, but it looks like something bounced around in the bottom end.

Did the girdle come loose? (one ore more of the fasteners?)

I'd take the bare block and get it x-rayed.

And I'd have the crank balance checked.

Even if the parts are not good... I'd still do to try to see what happened.

TonyG

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Just a ton of possibilities with this. My engineer says he's seen this before on Kent Formula Ford motors due to vibrational issues. Yet again it's frustrating as we can't be 100% sure of the cause. Hence the possibility of repeating the process looms in the back of my mind. Having said that, we will be making significant changes to the new motor and other parts of the car which should remove much of the risks. In the meantime we will study the remains to see if anything else stands out. Just hard to determine which is the Chicken and which is the Egg at this stage.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for all the good vibes guys. Much appreciated.

Hey Mike thanks for those links and no problem from me as far as any observations you make. We have pretty much arrived at a similar conclusion re the crank although questions can be asked as "Why did it happen then? Why not before?" I'm starting to think that there might have been more than one cause and it just finished in a clusterfcuk. We might have had a b/shaft skip a tooth which could have caused havoc. That there were more than one nut that loosened makes me wonder what the hell harmonics caused this. These probably have something like 130Nms on them when assembled.

Then add that we had two major structural failures with the d/sump pulley and then the b/shaft pulley in quick succession at almost the identical part of the track plus we were getting into the upper rpms by staying in 5th and into a 'back off vacuum' that puts a lot more stress on the motor than people might think.

The definition of insanity is doing something over and expecting a different outcome. So with the next motor it won't be the same. It will have a custom crank, rods, pistons and a great dampener. Plus we'll shorten the crank snout as much as possible by bringing everything a bit closer to the motor. I'm sure running the electric power steering pump in the cabin is a good thing that we've done already too. Should be a pretty interesting motor with quite different dynamics than this last one. Probably go down in capacity too which will help with harmonics/vibrations. Can't wait to start.

Yes the V8 Supercar was a blast! I kinda wish I was more ready for it, both as a passenger and driver. Certainly I was pretty ordinary and slow compared to Paul but the 7 second tutorial could have been a touch longer! Still processing it now. I think the most I could say as far as a comparison to my car is that it dances a bit more on the throttle with more weight, less tyre and Aero and higher polar ratio. The 952 is much more stuck to the ground and you just seem to have to drive it quite differently. Makes sense of course and both are fantastic in their own right. Privileged to have the opportunity to drive both.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woah... what unluck there.. I really hope you'll be up and running again in no time.

As for the v8sc experience: That was a short, yet great read, and boy you can't imagine how much i'd like to sit in one at some point in the future.. Not even mentioning driving one. It for sure had to be amazing.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
Sorry to see this. I, unfortunately, understand the pain all too well....

It looks very odd. Maybe I missed something in the thread, but it looks like something bounced around in the bottom end.

Did the girdle come loose? (one ore more of the fasteners?)

I'd take the bare block and get it x-rayed.

And I'd have the crank balance checked.

Even if the parts are not good... I'd still do to try to see what happened.

TonyG
Yes, good points. I haven't actually seen the motor as it is right now. Will take a look on the weekend. We 'shut down' over X-mas a lot more than you guys do in the 'States so many businesses will be closed right up until Feb. Just have to get done what we can, when we can.

The girdle had lose main caps. Our engineer has seen this in other i4's with bad harmonics. The crank certainly looks like one of the 'ringleaders'...
Old 12-16-2014, 06:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Refpotsirk
Woah... what unluck there.. I really hope you'll be up and running again in no time.

As for the v8sc experience: That was a short, yet great read, and boy you can't imagine how much i'd like to sit in one at some point in the future.. Not even mentioning driving one. It for sure had to be amazing.
I wish there was video of that time in the V8. Certainly not for when I was behind the wheel but when I was passenger. The ability to get this thing seriously stepping sideways at real speed and balance it all on the throttle so effectively was a joy to behold. When people are really good at things it is quite amazing to watch them display their skills.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:19 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More quiet time in the shop? That's what it means for me!!

I hope your comeback for WTAC '15 is huge!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So with the next motor it won't be the same. It will have a custom crank
Do you mean it's again going to be lighter than the stock crank?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Moldex?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
I've been told some engine builders shy away from lightening the crank due to concerns about harmonics.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:42 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

What was the weights of the crank, the flywheel, and the balancer?
Maybe the new crank should be left heavy, and the flywheel taken down in weight more (and maybe reduce wheel/tire weight as well)?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:35 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The crank is heavy but on its own it doesn't take much effort to spin it by hand in the block.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:32 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Not necessarily a lot lighter Thom. But I haven't got that far. Nothing like the knife crank I've been using though. Possibly Arrow.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:46 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Whats wrong with the stock crank? There is a lot of other stuff i would worry about than the crank failing.

Last edited by KSira; 12-16-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:15 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

"Engdyn was originally developed to study the dynamics of the crankshaft and its interaction with the engine block"

http://www.ricardo.com/en-GB/What-we...oducts/ENGDYN/

http://www.ricardo.com/PageFiles/846...r%20A4_4PP.pdf

https://www.ricardo.com/Documents/Do...er_kseries.pdf
Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Not before Lunch Mike!

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)