Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrick

Also... don't forget to replace your harness.

TonyG
Old 05-10-2012, 12:35 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
Patrick

Also... don't forget to replace your harness.

TonyG
Engine or safety harness? Why?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Engine or safety harness? Why?
His 5/6 point safety harness.

TonyG
Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just saw this thread, so sorry man! Looks like you definitely had some understeer first, like something slick on the track. Time for a hybrid pro and a center net.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:17 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks Dan. I'm kinda sick about the whole thing tbh. Took so much time and money to get it there only to have that happen. Not knowing the full cause and quite possibly never will further exacerbates the frustration.

Now I have a guy in the UK who is a cage builder saying that I should probably not re use the cage in my car even if the chassis/body is repairable. I don't believe he is trying to sell me anything, merely pointing out his observations. Said that in super slow motion video cages deform and can go back to 'normal' without being recognisably affected, but he says the metal can have fatigue or weakening.

So either I'm faced with fix body but cut out cage and start again. Or body no good & re-tub. Realistically a painful and expensive process down here. Or just a plain old rebuild a totally new car. None of these options appear attractive. Could fix body and turn blind eye to possible cage issues which doesn't sound smart. Not sure how to test if cage has been affected? If floor, mounting points and suspension pickup points all look good perhaps it's ok? Just have to wait a few more weeks until panels stripped and assessment can be made. Frustrating and daunting.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:32 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

The cage is fine. That contact was minor comparatively speaking.

Put belts in it and get a seat with a Halo and get on with it.

One thing to note is how well the factory door beams work :-)

TonyG

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks Dan. I'm kinda sick about the whole thing tbh. Took so much time and money to get it there only to have that happen. Not knowing the full cause and quite possibly never will further exacerbates the frustration.

Now I have a guy in the UK who is a cage builder saying that I should probably not re use the cage in my car even if the chassis/body is repairable. I don't believe he is trying to sell me anything, merely pointing out his observations. Said that in super slow motion video cages deform and can go back to 'normal' without being recognisably affected, but he says the metal can have fatigue or weakening.

So either I'm faced with fix body but cut out cage and start again. Or body no good & re-tub. Realistically a painful and expensive process down here. Or just a plain old rebuild a totally new car. None of these options appear attractive. Could fix body and turn blind eye to possible cage issues which doesn't sound smart. Not sure how to test if cage has been affected? If floor, mounting points and suspension pickup points all look good perhaps it's ok? Just have to wait a few more weeks until panels stripped and assessment can be made. Frustrating and daunting.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I'd like nothing more than to do this and halfway done already. Just not going to happen like this just yet. My builder is super busy at the moment so work won't start for another week or 2. I will put to him concerns or questions about re using the cage. I am pretty sure he'll agree with you, but are we all being a bit ignorant and maybe the cage guy in the UK knows more than we do? If the cage happens to be visibly deformed I'm not sure if you can replace certain parts or have to start from scratch? Because we haven't pulled the panels off yet I don't think I can make a call on the overall outcome, but I do have parts heading this way already. Looking at seats now but want to wait to hear outcome of damage first. Re tubbing is not easy even though you've mentioned it. Building a whole new car is not an option right now, so just have to wait to see how this one looks underneath.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I don't follow the rationale re: the cage fatiguing. Metallurgy was actually the concentration for my Materials Engr degree and steel is not going to fatigue for many, many more cycles. We're talking millions of cycles. I really hope you won't be putting yourself thru that! As long as the cage is still straight, you'll be fine.

This is one great reason why metals are the weapon of choice for so many structural applications (aside from cost): composites, for instance, are much, much more difficult to determine their degradation or level of compromise.

Just trying to help you feel better mate.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Collin, that does make me feel better. Thing is, one hears so many opinions on all these forums. My own fault for posting but I would prefer to get a variety of thoughts than just my own which are naive at best.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, reuse the cage, reuse the seat belts unless visibly damaged. In terms of assessing your cage, I would be inclined to go on a chassis machine and get the squareness tested, that will tell you if the points are relatively in tact.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by NZ951
I agree, reuse the cage, reuse the seat belts unless visibly damaged. In terms of assessing your cage, I would be inclined to go on a chassis machine and get the squareness tested, that will tell you if the points are relatively in tact.
The problem with reusing seat belts is that they stretch in a crash. Did you see how far Patricks body moved over to the side? There's no way I'd resuse those belts.

But as far as the seat goes... he needs a real race seat with not only a Halo, but a lot more upper body side support.

TonyG
Old 05-12-2012, 11:11 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah they can stretch, if there is no visible fraying, stretching or damage to the stitching, I wouldnt think there is much risk of them failing personally.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Patrick, if you are worried about the cage, you can alway magniflux those areas of concern. I agree with Collin, I just don't see how this would hurt the integrety of the cage. Take for instance a frame rail on a car, they can bend and be pulled back with little to no issues as long as it is not rolled on itself.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Just to clarify, the seat is an actual OMP raceseat. Not a stock road style thing. Had a full 5 piece harness on too. I tend to agree that they should be ok but for the price, not worth skimping on. I'll replace them. As for the seat, I want a Halo, but there are some that have a open part to the Halo which I'm sure will make life a lot easier. The downside to these is that they somehow 'appear' flimsier. Any thoughts or experience?
Attached Images    
Old 05-13-2012, 03:13 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NZ951
Yeah they can stretch, if there is no visible fraying, stretching or damage to the stitching, I wouldnt think there is much risk of them failing personally.
1st time, probably dead on correct. That said, what are you personally willing to wager on the worst possible wreck of your life, that it will be good enough? I'm not saying that you and I don't agree, I'm just saying that , YES, replace everytime might be OVERKILL, but, then again, do ya wanna be the driver when ya find out if was UNDERKILL, because you're dead. Some thing in life require the extra effort and cash.

Again, I'm nopt saying we disagree, because we don't! A whole lot of autoX guys will hit a cone and think they are Michael Schumacher, so I TOTALLY get what you were trying to say...and because I know you. A fender bender IS NOT THIS OFF! This one was kinda bad. New Harness! Luckily, Patrick is far smarter than the rest of us colonists, so he already knows this!

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)