Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Replacing is probably the right thing to do, and so is a hans device, a 3 layer racesuit, and boots and gloves and it goes on. I guess with safety people just find their comfort zone with what they are happy with. Some want a full fire extinguisher suppression system installed, some are happy with a hand held unit.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:31 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I know is that if I can take a hit like that, and I could have done more, then MORE is my best friend!

Don't make me post another sheep pic! Lart can't resist those!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:22 AM
NZ951
Race Director

More it is then
Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh God, let's hope lart doesn't read that!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:37 AM
NZ951
Race Director

I meant more safety, not more sheep.

Every main road in NZ looks like this.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! I bet the smoke causes massive traffic jams!
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! I bet the smoke causes massive traffic jams!
lol nah you need traffic to have a traffic jam Elliot, and most kiwi's are to busy making smoke
Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Hey Patrick also just to offer another point of clarification: while I wouldn't have a problem reusing your cage, it should be rigorously inspected for cracks, and any cracks should be welded up.

Good thing your cage isn't heat treated!

Btw that halo seat you just put a pic up of is suuuper sexy. Me gusta.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Patrick, been following this thread since the beginning, really sorry to see the bad luck you had but glad you're OK. I run a Halo with cut-outs in my street/track car. It never sees heavy traffic, pleasure use only to the track and back pretty much, but the cut-outs are handy to check blind spots and for reversing. I don't get the sense it is flimsy at all, and once you're in with the HANS on it gives a nice secure feeling.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Did you solve the droop mystery yet? My initial thought was the shocks are limiting the droop. Easy enough to measure and see exactly what you have. The other thing you should consider is having the shocks dyno'd. I have run more than one set of Moton's on a shock dyno and you would be very surprised at the results. None of the adjustment settings were linear or followed any rhyme or reason for that matter.

Sorry about the car but glad you are okay. Been there myself. Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Hey Patrick also just to offer another point of clarification: while I wouldn't have a problem reusing your cage, it should be rigorously inspected for cracks, and any cracks should be welded up.

Good thing your cage isn't heat treated!

Btw that halo seat you just put a pic up of is suuuper sexy. Me gusta.
Definitely Collin. We'll go over the car thoroughly.

Originally Posted by chrenan
Patrick, been following this thread since the beginning, really sorry to see the bad luck you had but glad you're OK. I run a Halo with cut-outs in my street/track car. It never sees heavy traffic, pleasure use only to the track and back pretty much, but the cut-outs are handy to check blind spots and for reversing. I don't get the sense it is flimsy at all, and once you're in with the HANS on it gives a nice secure feeling.

I like that Cobra seat and is one I'm definitely considering. Thanks for posting pic and feedback.

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Did you solve the droop mystery yet? My initial thought was the shocks are limiting the droop. Easy enough to measure and see exactly what you have. The other thing you should consider is having the shocks dyno'd. I have run more than one set of Moton's on a shock dyno and you would be very surprised at the results. None of the adjustment settings were linear or followed any rhyme or reason for that matter.

Sorry about the car but glad you are okay. Been there myself. Good luck with the rebuild.
Chris, no not yet but that's what the guys here think. We will do all the measuring once stripped down. It doesn't make sense if this will be the case though, unless they sold me the wrong shocks by mistake. I did have them dyno'd and they were described as being pretty good in most readings. I'd have to dig up what was said but they were deemed as sufficient for the task and we could tune around them. Not sure that this covered potential droop issues though.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Moton dyno.pdf (123.9 KB, 553 views)
Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Looking at the graph's I would agree they are in pretty good adjustment. They definitely could be tweaked later on. It's great that you have the graph's so you know what you have at least in the positions they ran.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

We also have the actual data from the suspension pots which is why the engineer is sure it’s to do with the rear droop and lack of shock travel. To counter this it does seem strange looking at the type of constant radius corner and how little I was loading the suspension? Having said that, I was going pretty fast and perhaps there were other mitigating circumstances which when added to the suspension travel caused the sudden loss of traction. Having watched video of a few different tracks I’ve driven on and seeing how it doesn’t convey things like speed and road camber / conditions, I also think that perhaps this might cloud the issue when dissecting the incident off video alone.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

How wide of a tire are you running? What type of tire? Pressures? Any temps? Did I read you are running 1100lb springs on the rear? 900 on the front? And you have no wing?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:14 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

285x650x18” R80 Hoosier slicks 305x650x18” R80s. Don't have temps. Started on 23psi cold. Got to 32psi hot.

Yes, correct re the no wing situation. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. The feeling from the engineer was that a wing would solve part of the problem, but it would also mask the cause. To be fair on everyone involved…there has been a few ‘hands’ on this car during the build process. This makes it tricky when the over enthusiastic customer (me) sees the end in sight and pushes for completion just to get back on the track. What we will do this time is sort the suspension out via measuring and then probably install the wing unless we go back to softer springs. My thinking is to get the balance of the car sorted in as ‘naked’ a setup as possible which might disclude the wing. Others, including the wing designer think that while this is a seemingly good idea, in reality you’re better off just sorting the balance out with the aero included. Guess there’s two schools of thought. I suppose if you have the time and money, do both…

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)