Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick. Fuel lines inside/outside, Still a very nice job. I would certainly look into a slightly larger line for flow for the trans. Gear oil is damn thick. Small isolator and plate for ECU is all that is needed. MOTEC can take it wherever you put it. That's what you paid for. I love the project. It's nice to see the wiring go in. I will probably start to get pretty ancy once my wiring gets started. That means starting it won't be too far behind. I love the pics. Everything is top notch. I can't wait until you get to drive that thing. Such a blast. I'm sure You'll have a huge smile on your face just working out the bugs.. You'll be on the track!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

We've decided to retain the rear oil return with the spray bar as supplied by CMS. Part of the extra cooling mods to the internals were to have all the shafts X-drilled and this will help supply oil from 3rd-6th gears. We will also run a line into the oil filler and T it off to the rear.

Thanks Bruce and others for your continued enthusiastic replies. As we all realise these projects take a lot more time, money and persistence than you ever anticipate and it's quite easy to get a little lost and dare I say it, a bit discouraged at times. The posts and support from others are really appreciated.
Besides which, I love reading about Bruce, Tony, Sid, Joshua, Gustaf, Chris, Thom, Tom, Tim, Darwin, Ollie, Jason, Frederik, Sean, Paulyy and all the others guy's builds. (Apologies to those I've missed but you all know who you are) We have a small community and even smaller one that pushes these cars beyond their original design brief.
There are a couple other projects or people that I've not mentioned but there will be one or two more surprises emerging in 2012.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:04 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking great as always Patrick. The guys I work with sell a pretty cool little ethanol content tester. I think they may have it on their website, APIKOL.com. Very easy to use. Thought you might like it.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of interest, did you consider a COP set-up? I used some Toyota 1NZ ones with a spacer plate to get the height right.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm using the AEM ones with my 3l. I have the same motec cdi as Patrick. ....but it hasn't run yet...
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Not badly priced either... I was expecting something ridiculous.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Looking great as always Patrick. The guys I work with sell a pretty cool little ethanol content tester. I think they may have it on their website, APIKOL.com. Very easy to use. Thought you might like it.
Sid I had a quick look on their site but couldn't see that particular product. Having said that I already have a GM one here and one in the US so I'm covered for one of these items currently.

Re the C.O.P.s, what's the main advantage? The engineer could have used what he wanted and he chose to use the Bosch ones. I'll ask him why.

Rod, have you had any more progress on your 3L? Are you going to be running it in March for the 1st event? Hope so!
Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Agreed - love the build, and I am excited to hear/see it in action (not so subtle hint that you are expected to have videos up ASAP ).

My 2¢ regarding COP. I do not think there would be any benefit over the beefy coils you are running. In my experience COP are usually a bit on the weak side. They will work fine for an NA car, but not something I would consider for our cars - things like the non-centered spark plug, large bore, high boost, and ethanol, make it just that much harder initiate combustion.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:53 AM
NZ951
Race Director

COP

Gets rid of distributor and rotor and ignition leads... all parts that need replacing and deteriorate. So no voltage leaks or misfires due to bad leads. A few sources like Chrysler comment they deliver more spark energy and improves combustion. Most all modern performance cars use COP now...

Obviously you are using 4 coils, so you get the advantage of only firing once per four stroke cycle providing your ECU is setup to run them that way?

Mostly its just a hell of a lot neater, you just have electrical wires to the coils, and thats it.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Agreed - love the build, and I am excited to hear/see it in action (not so subtle hint that you are expected to have videos up ASAP ).

My 2¢ regarding COP. I do not think there would be any benefit over the beefy coils you are running. In my experience COP are usually a bit on the weak side. They will work fine for an NA car, but not something I would consider for our cars - things like the non-centered spark plug, large bore, high boost, and ethanol, make it just that much harder initiate combustion.
You sure?

http://www.bsmotor.com/index.php?pag...engine-project

Old 01-08-2012, 04:09 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by NZ951
Ha - you linked a 3.6L flat-6, twin-plug, and twin-COP setup... Not what I would have used to try to prove the merit of COP

Yes, I am sure.
How about a 2.0L, same HP (~1000rwhp), 10,000rpm, significantly more cylinder pressure, and having to light-off methanol:

http://www.turbomirage.com/brent_rau...s/scan0005.htm

Looks quite similar to the setup Patrick has.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Ha - you linked a 3.6L flat-6, twin-plug, and twin-COP setup... Not what I would have used to try to prove the merit of COP

Yes, I am sure.
How about a 2.0L, same HP (~1000rwhp), 10,000rpm, significantly more cylinder pressure, and having to light-off methanol:

A COP set-up with 250HP capable coils not sufficient? Well, here are some 944 efforts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ight=coil+plug

Funny you should mention that 2.0, a friends SR20DET runs COP in this 1000HP drag car running E100.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:14 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Yes, I am sure.

No one is saying bosch coils are not capable of making the power... its about not having a distributor, rotors, and leads to break down.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Yep - a couple of different ways to skin the cat I suppose...
I happen to like Patricks setup, and is the way I would go. I've tried COP on high-HP small displacement engines before, and was never happy with the results. Perhaps they have improved...
I absolutely agree about getting rid of the distributor and rotor group. Leads are a minimal issue, IMO. Get a good set and don't worry about it.
Regardless I am sure Patricks setup will work quite well.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Yep - a couple of different ways to skin the cat I suppose...
I happen to like Patricks setup, and is the way I would go. I've tried COP on high-HP small displacement engines before, and was never happy with the results. Perhaps they have improved...
Regardless I am sure Patricks setup will work quite well.
Yes, 4 coils will help for sure and I am sure there wont be any issues with it. I ran a wasted spark setup using EVO coils on my 400HP 944 10 years ago, so no doubt 4 will do the trick.

I just prefer to use more modern technology where possible.

Quick Reply: Patrick's build thread. (IT RUNS!)