Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished putting all the pistons in.. FINALLY. I re-torqued everything down. Bottom end is mostly complete. Just that front plate is left, then the pan. I need the dry sump front crank pulley assembly first though. So that will be a bit.

The heads were flowed and need more mid lift improvement. Top end is ***** on like I expected.. BUT. I think there is a bit more room for awesomeness there. Mid lift numbers suffered more than I thought with the sharp angled chambers next to the valves. Small bits of that will be taken out until satisfied. We back cut the valve a little more and made a huge difference. But the Graph that I'm looking at shows some mid lift suffering. That will change. So I'm looking at a week or two before the heads can be bolted on. The front of the motor is just some experimenting with coolant routing. It will certainly be different when it's done.

Last edited by 95ONE; 03-03-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Bob Ward
Racer

good stuff.

If your not already running it, you'll love the E-85.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:12 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Ward
good stuff.

If your not already running it, you'll love the E-85.
Lol, no disrespect intended, but that kinda funny :-)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
95ONE
Race Car

LOL. yeah, that is kinda funny. Bob, Blown and I have been the poster boy's for E-85 on this forum for a while now. 2-3 years. Rogue also. My Vitesse chip was the first to have an E-85 option (that I know of) back when. We were fighting crazy misconceptions as much as possible. So hopefully you see the humor. Not meant to be mean to you at all. And of course, we agree, It is bad *** fuel.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with assembly, long way to go, lets see more pics on the way.

Very interested in how you mount it up!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
The front of the motor is just some experimenting with coolant routing. It will certainly be different when it's done.
Will you be using an electric water pump for those hoses?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:18 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Will you be using an electric water pump for those hoses?
Yes. Only thing on the front of this motor will be alternator and 4 stage block mount dry sump pump. I need to install a Dowel for the front ATI damper / Pulley. I just got a nice (Cheap ebay) cnc aluminum timing pointer for an old SBC that I'm going to make work with the new pulley that has etched timing marks on it. The dowel will keep it in place for consistent timing. Stock LS1/6 pulley is a pressed on only that can slip, no key way on the crank to hold it still, so the dowel is needed. So there's something else i can do. I also cut those very thick pieces down to something much thinner. Picture below. I'm always customizing custom stuff. I will also Powder coat the top lifter valley cover and the front timing cover that metallic silver I did to my old stock intake and sold. I guess the valve covers too.

Right now, my head porter is in the Hospital. He is in ICU. He is a fellow old school car builder. He was in it a decade before myself actually. He is slowly getting better, but will need to have his gallbladder removed. Bad news. It looks like he will recover just fine and be back to a regular life. But not for a couple months.. Which means my heads will not recover for that long.. lol. He would laugh at that, otherwise i would not have typed it. So.. I don't know.. I'm working on other small stuff right now. I need those heads to finish the motor, so The motor project is dead for a while. I'm working on the tedious stuff that needs to get done anyway.

Tabs on the tilton pedal box to hold the aluminum cover is finished. That takes a lot of time. I just finished a "finishing" piece in front of the Dry sump oil tank and some more pieces to go this week to visually seal it off and give it a nice finished look. I will then Work on the Dash tabs to hold the dash in place, yet give it a quick way to be removed to work on wiring. The tail lenses just got painted a candy red with a hint of tint. I love them. I have to wait about 3 days to let them harden before I can install and take pics.

I still have to install my spherical bearings for the front A arms. Not the kind you're thinking of though. I have to chop off the little triangles and rebuild them. (rearward mounting point of the front A arms) Then I can bend some tubing to triangulate those points and the cross member. I will post pics.

I then have to check with my axle shop and see if they can re-spline and harden the steel shaft 3 - 4" inches shorter. (the one inside the torque tube) If not, I have to take a different approach to shrinking that bad boy. Plan "A" preferred.

I could also fix and repair the front clip fiberglass pieces. finish the doors. I could even finish painting the tub and start the body wiring. Fully complete the brake system, and fuel system.

So there is a lot to do. But the motor project is on Hold right now. unfortunately.

Last edited by 95ONE; 01-24-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:34 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Here are MANY details about the engine build on the LS1TECH forum. TONS of pics if you're interested. EDIT: I think more details might be in the link below, but pics are the same. Here Are the new pics from the link

CLICK ON ME

For those that don't like to bother with links (like myself) Here is the newest post copied and pasted here;

Here are some pics of accessories I had customized. Powder coating everything after I welded some mounts for the timing pointer I made and polished. I also pinned the crank snout and a couple dowel pins in the front timing cover for consistent and accurate timing if everything had to be removed and re-installed. Heads go on next. I had to re-measure TDC to make sure the pointer was absolutely accurate. I know the ECU does all the timing, but the crank teeth may be off and the pointer will let me know exactly what the timing is in the real world. It will just serve as a novelty after that is learned. Powder coating tried my patience, but I finally came up with an acceptable finish. I will be installing the heads this weekend and finishing up a final check on pushrod length and lifter preload. I will then decide on a pushrod length, purchase them and finish sealing up the motor. Custom install the motor in the car, then on to intake manifold and headers after that.

I also didnt' like the size of the Moroso remote mount coolant adapters. You will see how much better they are at 1/3rd the size. (first 3 pics.) My projects take 3xs longer because of this. - I'm always customizing my custom parts.

Here are the pictures;

Before I cut them down

Cutting them in one of my favorite tools.

After cut down.

First dowel holes

ATI crank Pinning application. Pan was covered. Pic was when finished and cover removed.

welded on timing pointer mounting tabs

soapy scrub after sandblasting

After 3 hours of degreasing, sand blasting, scrubbing some more, and taping up.

I cooked on some primer then this is how "black chrome looks before its cooked"

"Black Chrome" after it's cooked. I then put on clear after this to seal it.

Pinning the crank with the ATI kit. No slipping of the ATI Super Damper now. Empty hole was an unfortunate mistake.

For the hell of it, I threaded the oil inlet from the stock pump ( not being used) and plugged it.

Pics of some of the powder coated stuff on the engine.

Pics of the progression of the custom pointer itself. I used a pointer off an ebay part for older 350s.

Last edited by 95ONE; 03-03-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
blown 944
Race Car

It's the little things that make this build so special.

Look at the bright side, you can sell the remainder of the wp adapters off to recoup a little $$$...:-)
Old 03-03-2012, 07:50 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

What brand of EWP?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by blown 944
It's the little things that make this build so special.

Look at the bright side, you can sell the remainder of the wp adapters off to recoup a little $$$...:-)

I keep getting lost in some of the artistic parts of this build and I have to tell myself the same thing so I don't go crazy with thoughts that lead me to believe it would be finished by now if I didn't do stuff like that. Your encouragement certainly helps, and I thank you for that.

The remaining part is enough for 3 more! I'd have to re-thread and O-ring port them though. No tools to do that. I'm happy with what I have though.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
What brand of EWP?
Ill take a pic.. hold on... internet space time warp...

Here;

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Looking great Bruce. How far off completion now?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:00 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Looking great Bruce. How far off completion now?
Well, I was going to get most of the chassis welding done this weekend, but I'm so excited to get my heads back that I had to get more of that guy together.

Frustrating when you open a box of goodies that you bought in December and find that half your head bolts aren't in there. Trials and Tribulations. Sooo. I did get one head bolted on at least and I was able to confirm my pushrod length. So now I can purchase those. Valvetrain will be complete when those come in on Wednesday. At that point, I HAVE to fnish the chassis, because that's all that is needed to get the motor bolted in.

I worked for about 9 hours straight today on the motor. No exaggeration. 9 hours, non stop. All the little details really take a long time. (well, 1 hour was spent looking for my misplaced lifters, and another half hour searching for the other half of the head bolts that wasn't there.) I've put together whole motors in half that time. But I'm spec' ing out everything. This almost guarantees the motor will break soon after it starts. (Murphys law) But what the hell.

I can tell you that something may already be wrong with the motor. Something got in under a ring land. a tiny spec of metal or whatever the hell. It made a long *** scratch on the cylinder wall. I can feel the scratch, a little bit with my nail. Hardly noticeable but if you keep running over it, you will feel it. I'm hoping it seals completely on break in, but maybe not. I will run leakdown and compression tests after the first 50 miles. I will verify if its affected by it or not. Pic of the scratch is included. It does look worse than it is though. I have hopes, but frustrated it's even a concern. It should never had happened.

Here are the pics.

This first one is of me making sure my timing pointer is set true to top dead before I install the heads.
Then Cleaning the old thread lock out of the holes.
Cometic MLS gasket. .045 with copper spray coated on it.
Heads attached.(One held on by the old bolts until new one comes in) Valvetrain not assembled yet. Lifters are installed. Rockers are waiting for the proper sized pushrods to come in before I can install them permanently. Intake and exhaust manifold to be custom made.

Last edited by 95ONE; 03-04-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:07 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Well that stinks. Did you pull the piston back out to see wtf is going on?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

the term. O_HHHHHHH SHINEYYYYY comes to mind.

Quick Reply: Since everyone else has a V8 build thread...