Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Stage 3 - 446rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 04:11 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by m42racer:
<strong>Why does your A/F go richer at peak Torque?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Coincidence? The resolution of SDS not super accurate, so it's tough to dial in a fuel curve right at 12.3. I'm hitting 12 to 12.5 from 4200rpm till 6400rpm. Close enough .
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by m42racer:
<strong>How are you controlloing the fuelling?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">SDS EFI.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:24 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
86944turbo,

Sorry to hear about your mishap, terrible.
The graph with the AF was on an intial run, I remaped the chips and and subsequent runs were with a steady AF od 12.0 or less. I still have some work to do, Saturday testing was intended to evaluate how all of the components are working together. I'm happy with the results, now it's time to clean up the few rough edges.

John
Old 04-14-2003, 09:45 AM
TurboTim
Banned

AC,

If you get a testpipe in there, you will pick up another 25-30 horsepower and ft/lbs of torque which should allow you to make as much power as your friends set-up.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:40 AM
AC
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by TurboTim:
<strong>AC,

If you get a testpipe in there, you will pick up another 25-30 horsepower and ft/lbs of torque which should allow you to make as much power as your friends set-up.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hey Tim,

I have contemplated putting in a test pipe; however, everyone keeps telling me that the piece that I have wielded in is doing the same thing that a testpipe would do. To complete the air flow through the P&P’d head, I am also looking to get an upgraded intercooler and equalized intake manifold along with a freer flowing exhaust.

I would like to eventually be able to go with a 3” setup from the downpipe through. Believe me I am looking to squeeze as much reliable HP as I can. It all comes down to cost. Unfortunately, the group buys that have taken place have not been at a good time for me to make a purchase. To me, it is not necessary for all the pieces to be polished, super high quality stainless steel. I have a place close by that does coating, to protect from rust and heat, for an extremely reasonable price. If you know of a way to produce a 3” that is not so “high quality” please let me know. What I mean is something like Bursch except in a 3” version. The effects of these are good but are known to rust out; however, my plan as I stated would to be to get these ceramic coated inside and out to help slowdown/prevent the rusting. This is just a thought. As you are a tuner, I do not know all the steps you have taken already to produce the products that you have, I am just throwing out what I would like to see, so please do not think I am bashing your stuff. I am thoroughly pleased with all the item upgrades that I have. Nothing has been a disappointment.

Thanks for your help Tim. Please keep the advice coming. I appreciate all the help that I have gotten from everyone here. I have learned a lot from everyone in a short amount of time.

Confucius say, “Knowledge is power, but power from Boost is more fun.”
Old 04-14-2003, 12:05 PM
TurboTim
Banned

The piping between the downpipe and the catylist is very restrictive. It is a double walled pipe and it collapses on the inside.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:59 PM
James Herne
Instructor

I have experienced the collapsed two layer exhaust pipe. My car run half a year like a V6 Firebird and we couldn't find the problem. Everything in the engine compartment was checked twice but no result... after we finally luckily discovered the collapsed inner layer of the pipe. I hadn't heard about such problem before, that's why it took so long to discover it. Actaully when I was in Bosch diagnostics, the technician said, that it seems like there is something in the exhaust, but it seemed so stupid idea, we didn't care of that at that time...
Sorry for OT, but this could happen to everybody, so be aware racing your 951 with stock exhaust piping next to turbo.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:31 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Slightly OT? How about we start a new Downpipe thread?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:54 PM
AC
Instructor

lol
sorry for the OT John.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:58 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Armond,

LOL

If you have a copy of your dyno runs with my chips, email it to me.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Andy
Instructor

Congratulations John, I wish I could have stayed and watched your car on the dyno, those are nice numbers and I can't wait till it hits the track at a local club race. It was nice meeting Armond and Corey there too. When I get my graph scanned, I'll post it plus add some observations and questions too.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:34 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you Andy. I look forward to my next track event, but first I need to complete the WideBody conversion. As you might know, I'm terrible at working with FiberGlass.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

86944Turbo,
What fitting are you referring too? I'm upgrading my fuel pump when my motor gets finished. I've got a different cam too.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 04-14-2003, 11:29 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Fast951 (John if I remember correctly)

Can you tell me a little more about the MAF chips your tuning to work with 75 lb injectors?

What type of injectors are you using?

What type of setup are you tuning it to be used with, exhaust, head, turbo (I understand if you want to keep this private, but what would it be equivalent too), etc.

What fuel pressure are you using?

Stock fuel pump?

I may be interested in a 75lb chip/perfect power controller package. Are you offering something like that? I already have the MAF. I want to choose my own turbo, and I need something to control big injectors. But, since the turbo I want won’t be coming anytime soon, I want the 75lb injectors installed and working with the k26/6. I guess I can scale down the top end with the PP controller.

What you think?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:52 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Wormhole,

I'm retuning the chips to use the 75# injectors on the Stage 3 kit. As you might already know, each kit is designed with a unique Turbo and MAF sensor. So the tuning is done to work only with the stage 3 components. Stage 1 & 2 are fine with the 55# injectors, which I already provide the chips for.

You want, a "good" chip to work with an unknown turbo and an unknown MAF sensor. This is not possible. Sure I can sell you a one size fits all chip, but it's not something I'm interested in, as it does not provide the best solution.

I suggest you to decide on the turbo, figure out which MAF you have (Calibration specs). Then at that time I'll try to assist you. I'll be glad to develop custom chips for your application, but be aware that it will not be inexpensive.

Reducing cost is one reason why I came up with the various kits. You get a complete system designed with components that work together and the tuning (chips) has been done. The PiggyBack helps you fine tune things if and when you alter things.
No two cars are 100% alike, you will not always run the same boost... The PB allows you to handle the deviations.

The PB is a great tool to fine tune things. However having a tool does not equate to having a good end results. There is plenty of work (tuning) to be done first.

Customers that purchased my kits with the PB have the option to use the chips they received and fine tune things to be used with larger injectors. This will take time on their part!
I went ahead and provided them with a "free" upgraded chips to be used with the 55# injectors.
I spent the time needed in order to simplify things for them.

I will be providing custom chips that work with certain setups. I tested my chips with a different MAF setup, some fine tuning is required, but we gained around 20ft-lb at the wheel. More power could be made once I get the AF to match the setup.

I hope i provided you with some information that would save you time, money and headaches. Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

John, thanks for the reply. I probably should have been a little clearer with my intentions.

I was thinking about using your chipset only to get me started, so there would be no idle and part throttle (not under boost) issues with using 75lb injectors. I want the ability to fine-tune my setup, with my choice of turbo on a dyno. I believe this is where the PP controller can allow me to adjust A/F for the change in Volumetric Efficiency, due to different turbos. I was asking all of the questions about your setup to see how close it matches mine, then decide how much dyno time I may need.

BTW.. I’m using a autothority MAF.

Quick Reply: Vitesse Stage 3 - 446rwhp