Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Based on that comment Chris, do you concur on the placement of the vents? Do you think that addional extraction or another method to be preferable?
Yep – for louvers its the right place. If you want to make an intercooler specific vent you should put a taller lip in front of it to create a low pressure area where the vent opening is.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt that David's hood louvers are effective, however I am wondering what the overall best solution to modifying our hoods for improving heat extraction, and more specifically, improving heat exchanger efficiency is.

That said, I can't figure out if they are more effective than say, fellow Rennlister Duke's hood venting approach. Hopefully he wont mind me tossing up yet another pic he posted in another thread for reference.

My understanding is that our overall goal in modifying the hood of our cars is to improve the efficiency of the heat exchangers (IC/Radiator/AC on street cars) My 951 is a weekend/nice weather street car, but I am still very tempted to modify my hood because I am a firm believer that excessive heat is the root of most all mechanical failures to our engines. I don't want to risk frying the distributor or alternator if I were to be caught in a freak downpour with Duke's hood. I suppose I could have some "contingency cardboard" to slap on the hood and cover the vents if that were to happen.

Thanks for the good data David! I think your louvers are in a great spot according to that diagram.

Maybe the best solution is a combination of David and Duke's hoods...? Would probably end up being excessive for a street car. I gather that if I found a hot rod shop with sized stamps to do louvers like David's that it would be easier on the wallet, which is always a good thing.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

David:

Do you have a pressure plot of the 944 body? Where did you get the one for a 924?
Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by IMB951
That said, I can't figure out if they are more effective than say, fellow Rennlister Duke's hood venting approach. Hopefully he wont mind me tossing up yet another pic he posted in another thread for reference.

were one willing to do away with the stock airbox and remove the stock hood latch (probably for the aerocatch pins ala Van), you could probably make a duct like my high-tech drawing in that area and use vents like duke's to pull the heat out. use rubber gaskets (black in the drawing) to seal the duct to the hood vent. the air (pink) would have to go through the IC and then out the vent.

iirc the hot air out the back of the IC just dumps around the hood latch anyways so you could attach your duct to the top of the radiator mount and between the IC pipes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Willard. That plot has been floating around the list a few years now don't remember who first posted it, but no I don't have a 944 version
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMB951
No doubt that David's hood louvers are effective,

I think Duke's vents will move much much more air than mine, simply by shear size and location.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Floyd
I think Duke's vents will move much much more air than mine, simply by shear size and location.
...and mostly likely pull more air from the specific area to do the most to enhance performance. Yours looks likely to pull more trapped unhood heat. Either way, it's got me thinking.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:15 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

The "Mother" of all hood vents we have been making this too hard !

Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Bob_in_Chicago
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just saw the hood vents on a Shelby Mustang GT500 that would be perfect for our hood. I'll try to post a photo in the next days. They seem to be the simplest way to do it.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Nice one Dave i was wondering how i could best show off new CF look vinyl wrap valve cover that is the answear
Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Is this what you're talking about?Name:  shelby.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  29.4 KB

Name:  shelby2.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  108.7 KB
Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
IMB951
Drifting

I wonder if those Shelby vents have a ford racing part number?!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
The "Mother" of all hood vents we have been making this too hard !
ill sell you some manual sunroof latches if you catch my drift...
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you are putting a sunroof on your hood, might as well make it a power roof!

it would be nice to put some vents in my hood though. Wonder if there is a way to make the vents effective but have a drain pan on the bottom of the hood to catch water?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:34 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
it would be nice to put some vents in my hood though. Wonder if there is a way to make the vents effective but have a drain pan on the bottom of the hood to catch water?
Up till just recently my 951 has been a DD and has seen all weather conditions, never had any rain problems.

Nothing to cause any problems under the louvers (over the strut top area), I did keep and eye on the diagnostic port for any issues always dry.

Other hood vent location may be of concern ?

Quick Reply: Hood Louver Wind tunnel simulation