Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Is this what you're talking about?Attachment 463492

Attachment 463493
I friend of mine who owns a local speed shop let me take one of those to the house to see if they would fit the 944 hood. It appears that it will work, but I was not convinced that it would move enough air. There is not much of a lip on the leading edge.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it would require a fair bit of depth clearance.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Bob_in_Chicago
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those are the new Shelby Mustangs; I saw vents on a older version. Maybe 2004-08?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_in_Chicago
Those are the new Shelby Mustangs; I saw vents on a older version. Maybe 2004-08?
Original Shelby

Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
if you are putting a sunroof on your hood, might as well make it a power roof!

it would be nice to put some vents in my hood though. Wonder if there is a way to make the vents effective but have a drain pan on the bottom of the hood to catch water?
lol
Old 08-02-2010, 01:16 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Up till just recently my 951 has been a DD and has seen all weather conditions, never had any rain problems.

Nothing to cause any problems under the louvers (over the strut top area), I did keep and eye on the diagnostic port for any issues always dry.

Other hood vent location may be of concern ?
I think if you park in a garage, generally, rain is a non-issue. While moving it should be no issue.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
I think if you park in a garage, generally, rain is a non-issue. While moving it should be no issue.
Those who DD, or use their car fairly regularly will for sure be caught out in the rain once in a while...

"Well I was gonna go to the store and do this and that, but it's raining so I have to drive directly home, avoiding all traffic and traffic lights or else cold rain water will drip on my engine"

Some hood vents would be nice to extract the heat, but only with a drip pan for a DD. I would think a louver would still extract heat while moving or with cooling fans blowing even with a drip pan 1" below, with a drain tube to the ground.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 968 rs set up is realy good it has duct that goes under the extractor scoop that goe's down to the back of the intercooler ..so the rain only goes there...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure why you guys are worried about rain getting in the engine – do you have any idea how much water is coming up form below and through the radiator? A little dripping down through the hood is not an issue!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris White
Not sure why you guys are worried about rain getting in the engine – do you have any idea how much water is coming up form below and through the radiator? A little dripping down through the hood is not an issue!
+1
Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the low-pressure areas of the hood, a NACA duct would work well, too.

It also depends upon whether you want air in or out how and where you do the openings.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
Cuz it's got Electrolytes...

Old 03-03-2020, 11:23 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by IMB951
No doubt that David's hood louvers are effective, however I am wondering what the overall best solution to modifying our hoods for improving heat extraction, and more specifically, improving heat exchanger efficiency is.

That said, I can't figure out if they are more effective than say, fellow Rennlister Duke's hood venting approach. Hopefully he wont mind me tossing up yet another pic he posted in another thread for reference.

My understanding is that our overall goal in modifying the hood of our cars is to improve the efficiency of the heat exchangers (IC/Radiator/AC on street cars) My 951 is a weekend/nice weather street car, but I am still very tempted to modify my hood because I am a firm believer that excessive heat is the root of most all mechanical failures to our engines. I don't want to risk frying the distributor or alternator if I were to be caught in a freak downpour with Duke's hood. I suppose I could have some "contingency cardboard" to slap on the hood and cover the vents if that were to happen.

Thanks for the good data David! I think your louvers are in a great spot according to that diagram.

Maybe the best solution is a combination of David and Duke's hoods...? Would probably end up being excessive for a street car. I gather that if I found a hot rod shop with sized stamps to do louvers like David's that it would be easier on the wallet, which is always a good thing.
Sorry for the bump, but who makes this?

Quick Reply: Hood Louver Wind tunnel simulation