Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trading 944 Turbo for 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:32 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

have any of you actually ever driven an n/a automatic? I was actually surprised how quick it was! I say if you have a tired turbo and you can see yourself living w/ the auto and the wife, i say do it. Maybe you can slowly make it "her" car and get back into a turbo some time.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Here is a midnight blue 944 turbo listed in the rennlist classifieds. It is reasonable relatively low miles and it has a TURBO so you can go more than 5 mph.

Category: 924/931/944/951/968 Ad Number: 9721
Price: $10,200 Date Posted: 04/01/2010

Features
Year: 1988 Make: Porsche Model: 944 Turbo
Miles: 80950 Engine: Fuel Inj. Stereo: AM-FM/Cassette
Body Style: Coupe Transmission: Manual - 5 speed
Color: Midnight Blue/ Ivory Drivetrain:

Options (denoted by check marks)
Power Steering Air Conditioning Rear Defroster
Power Brakes Sunroof Leather Seats
Air Bags Cruise Control Foglamps
Antilock Brakes Power Windows Alarm System
Traction Control Power Locks Intermittent Wipers

Description
This is very clean car. Adult Owned, never tracked. The timing chain/cam replacement was done less than 400 miles ago. A/C & Clutch done at 50k miles. Paint has a few chips and scratches but no fade spots or rust. No tears or cracks in leather, dash is fine. No rust. Everything works except rear wiper & needs hood shocks & one craked fog light lens. Spear tire and pump never used. 17" wheels, tire 50% remaining. One of the last unmolested Turbos left. Option Codes C42, 158, 288, 418, 425, 533, 650,& 946.
Please only inquire if you are a serious buyer. More pics available. Thank you

Seller Information
Type of Seller: Private Seller Company:

Jacksonville, Fl
Telephone:
E-mail: lovemylynns@bellsouth.net
Web Site:
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope this young lady of yours is some catch.
I know you want some advice in the car department, but this is a cue for some more important advice:
Some of us decent guys think we're doing the right thing, by wanting to make our women happy, by catering to their wining; only for them to divorce you anyway because they lost respect for you.
Be a man and change cars only because YOU think it's the right (maybe responsible) thing to do (ie, the original deal on the turbo was a bad one, on going expenses you can't afford, you really in actuallity don't mind getting an automatic 944 na).
Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Very true... my wife and I don't believe in divorce so she won't ever leave unless I am unfaithful, were both devoted christians and try really hard to be a great example in our life and marriage...

Lol we saw the guy with the 944 NA....he took less than a minute at my car and sad hes not doing it and called my car a project car... because of a few basic things, odometer gear, power locks needing to be attached, tear in seat, horn has a short, and my header nose panel is a different shade... said he would have to replace it and repaint the whole car.... mind you my paint is actually in good condition except a chip on the hood and the rear plastic cap for the bumper needs a repaint...

His car was in great condition, only problems was interior has some dingy spots (cream colored interior) and a dent in the rear bottom quarter by the wheel well and would need new rear shocks before long... He had the auto trans damper replaced and did head gaskets and so forth...

But I was like wow a 944 NA guy said no to a 944 turbo that was everything he wanted because it needed a little tlc that would take no time to fix.... o well he was a nice guy though and im sure ill hit him up once in a while just to make pcar friends.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

It sounds like he's being a "man" to me. It's probaly a difference of a couple thousand$ at most. I say make the wife happy if you can live with the automatic for now, or sell it & get a nice nanual N/A that she likes. Women don't lose respect for their husbands because they try to make them happy..then again this isn't a marriage counseling forum.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I would buy another turbo but really don't have the cash so thats really why I looked at the trade and also I wanted her to like the car so I figure by getting one with what she likes she would start to appreciate it for what it is a well balance enjoyable sports car that has excellent handling and style
Old 07-09-2010, 02:57 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
I would buy another turbo but really don't have the cash so thats really why I looked at the trade and also I wanted her to like the car so I figure by getting one with what she likes she would start to appreciate it for what it is a well balance enjoyable sports car that has excellent handling and style
Good plan. Make sure you get a manual instead of a nanual.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:43 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you HAVE to get an NA, ever think about getting an S2? I've owned one and was a great car, until, sadly, I contracted the 'turbo itch disease' that's been going around.

But seriously, if it has to be NA, why not the S2? Very comparable price range to the turbos, as opposed to the ultimate NA 968, which is a few thousand more on average than both. Yet the S2 is the latest of the 944 family, therefore "technically" the most reliable (based on condition of course). And finally, you also mentioned putting on a supercharger. After all is said and done, you'll most likely end up spending the same or more (and I'm betting on more towards the latter) amount of money SC'ing that sucker, making it less reliable, "molested", and way older with more mileage rather than just getting the S2 with already over 200WHP out of the box. That's what I'd do anyway. Even though you might not find an auto S2, just the reliability factor would do it for me.

Just my thoughts
Old 07-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you have to go auto find a good 968 tiptronic.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:50 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The compromise trade as an N/A 5 speed such as the S2, an excellent choice. Or if it has to be auto then as others have said get a 968 tip, surely she will appreciate the beauty in that! Good luck
Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

trade the wife for the NA to DD while you fix the turbo?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Get a Shark

Don't flame me guys, but if he wants to stay in a P-car, run a slushbox & have something classy yet comfy which the Missus can drive - then a shark might be the solution. A 928S4 in a subdued colour might keep the Missus happy - a lovely road car- beautiful burble, good looking, lovely build quality. As we all know "If the missus is unhappy , you're unhappy" (or she'll as hell insure that you are!). I love the 951 as a highly tuneable, great value for money sportscar which can be turned into a giant slayer at the track. If you're after a classy cruiser for the road then a shark might just be the answer.Now, we're all P-car guys, so no whale jokes!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is she so anti your turbo?

I understand your willingness to try to make her happy, but at the same time where is her willingness to make you happy? Now, if the turbo will bring you to financial ruin (you just have to put 10k in it), your continually bothering her about fixing it, and you are causing life disruptions (obsessive forum use, constant time use to fix it all now, NOW!, ignoring the wife), I can see a legitimate claim for you to replace it. However, at that point you probably should replace it with something that is not a Porsche.

To be honest, all the times I have come close to selling the Porsche, it has been my *WIFE* who encouraged me not to sell it. Likewise, it was originally my *WIFE*, who after seeing my sadness after selling off my DSMs, encouraged me to buy it (and see found the for sale posting too!). Why? My wife wanted me to be happy and have something nice.

My compromise to her? Take my time with the car and realize it is a long-term and on going project vehicle. It will not be modified. And we will not sell our family short for the car.

Your wife should consider your happiness and respect your (reasonable) hobbies too! Failure for her to do so will lead to you seeing her as a limiter to your happiness, which breeds contempt and resentment, and ultimately can cause problems in the relationship!!! I would love to hear more of her perspective. Does she really have to drive your car too?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Hey guys I have recently decided that I wish to trade my 944 turbo for a 944 na.... My wife doesn't like the one we have currently and then I told her I know of someone who has a 1986 944 blue exterior, tan/black interior, automatic and then she got excited and said she would drive it all the time....
I just want to know if you think it would be a good deal.
A happy wife = a happy life.

Sure the Turbo is faster, but if it is broken all the time the NA is faster and a heck of alot better.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:20 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
A happy wife = a happy life.
Yeah but, letting yourself be castrated to keep the wife happy will lead to misery.

A happy wife AND a happy husband = a happy life

Quick Reply: Trading 944 Turbo for 944 NA