Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Spec to be Competitive with 997 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Better idea - lets get a current F1 car and stick a Porsche crest on it and paint 944 on the side....

“PAF”

Pointless Argument Fail….
Dear Chris

The thead is called 951 to be competitive with 997 GT3 RS if you expected anything different then I don't know what to say.

Your Pal
Fishey
Old 06-16-2010, 10:37 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better idea - lets get a current F1 car and stick a Porsche crest on it and paint 944 on the side....
I think the unofficial rule is: If you still have the original cigarette lighter, it's still a 944...
Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
I think the unofficial rule is: If you still have the original cigarette lighter, it's still a 944...
Do I need the lighter or just the receptacle?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do I need the lighter or just the receptacle?
Just having the receptacle bumps you up a class (significant weight advantage over stock).
Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fishey
Dear Chris

The thead is called 951 to be competitive with 997 GT3 RS if you expected anything different then I don't know what to say.

Your Pal
Fishey
Dear Fishey,
Yes, it is entitled “951 spec to be competitive with 997 GT3 RS”. And you came up with a spec that is not what I would call a 944 and also fails to meet most of the other requirements made by the original poster –
Originally Posted by Penguinracer
Okay - so there are a lot of projects going on out there, all with different objectives. If I set as my objective the creation of 951 which could be competitive for performance with a 997 GT3 RS both on road & track (with the emphasis on track) what specification would be required, bearing in mind I'd be looking for the most cost-effective options. The car must retain a full interior, not be caged & retain its original bodywork. Tim
As I said I don’t consider a V8 powered 944 a 944 anymore – I am not saying that V8 powered 944 are ‘bad’, they are just not 944s anymore.
A couple other issues:
The V8 powered 944 will not be street legal (as a Porsche 944) in many states.
How much development time will you need to get all the custom one off parts to work in a real track environment? Very few highly modified 944s actually get sorted out due to this expense. Roy Chong had been sorting out his old 944 turbo for over a decade before it was totaled last year…most quit long before that!
The list of modifications / fabrication you listed, if done professionally and correctly, will get the price of the 944 up to the price of a good used GT3Rs….while the original poster did not mention any budget constraints I live in the real world and always consider the budget as part of the viability of a project. If there is no budget restrictions then yes, buy a F1 car and put a fiberglass 944 body on it….

BTW – have you ever driven a GT3 (regular or RS) on the track? How about ridden in one on the track? If not you don’t really know what you are up against…..

BTW – if I do make an exception and say that your proposed list is a 944 and qualifies the 911GT3RS will still kick its butt in anything longer than a short sprint race….2 hour race – GT3 wins, 6 hour race – 944 won’t even finish…
Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree 100%

A few reasons I disagree is that the GT3 RS is a production car it has its limitations put in place.

Anyways, as far as setting up a 944 to compete I would do it something like this very generic

LS3 Head/Cam/Intake/Drysump
Multi Disk Clutch
Aluminum Torque Tube
951 Turbo Gearbox + larger cooler
Gearbox Mount Modified + Braced
Aluminum Shift Rod (Long black thing)
Shifter Linkage Change (Throw modification)
Large brake setup with 13-14" rotors front and rear. 2pc floating rotor setup
kokeln style Rear suspension setup
Fabricated front control arms + extended 19mm spindles
Aftermarket front hubs
kokeln swaybar or other adjustable sway setup.
Penske/Moton/Ohlin Coilover shocks front and rear
Seemwelded and braced Chassis
Aftermarket lighter sound proofing + thinner carpet
Aero changes (lights/Wing/Splitter)
Wheels/Tires

1. Lets just look at the specs of a 911 GT3 RS
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 450 @ 7900
SAE Net Torque 317 lb.-ft.
Front Tire 245/35 ZR19
Rear Tire Size 325/30 ZR19
Base Curb Weight 3020 lbs
Height, Overall 50.4 in
Track Width, Front 60.2 in
Track Width, Rear 61.4 in
Drag .33

2. Now lets look at a logical setup on a 944 chassis
LS3 Head/Cam/Intake
SAE Net Horsepower @ RPM 575 @ 6500
SAE Net Torque 522lb.-ft
Front Tire Size (without width added) 275/35/ZR18
Rear Tire Size (without width added) 295/30/ZR18
Base Curb Weight 2625lbs(Tony G) 2998(S2) I am guessing realistic 2800lbs for our Street/Race 944.
Height, Overall 50.20 in Stock / 48.20 in Lowered
Track Width, Front 58.20in +2 in for increased tire/rim width 60.20in
Track Width, Rear 57.10in + 2 in for increased tire/rim width 59.10in
Drag .33 (Added Tire Width and modifications to keep similar downforce as a 911 GT3 RS) .38-.40

So looking at the physical between a GT3RS and a properly setup 944 we know off the start 125hp advantage 944 and 320lbs advantage. The 944 is giving up advantages to the 911 GT3 RS in a few places. The very first and most obvious area is Aero Dynamics. The GT3 has years of racing development passed down from the GT3 Cup and GT3 RSR that allow it to achive better downforce with less drag. The second advantage for the 911 would be rear suspension. The front suspensions between the two cars are very similar in design but the rear are very different. Obviously the 944 rear shock setup is going to be modified significantly most likely with a Kokeln type setup. This suspension however does not allow for any kinematic toe or camber compression change.

I think it would be very hard for the GT3 RS to overcome the weight/power disadvantage. Also, its suspension disadvantage is reduced by having a production style shock vs a full racing coilover.

Thats just my $.02
So all we have to do is google 944 performance, buy the most expensive things from the first 5 results and put it together?

Also this production car ran in the 24 hr of nurburgring and finished 13th overall.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Fishey,
Yes, it is entitled “951 spec to be competitive with 997 GT3 RS”. And you came up with a spec that is not what I would call a 944 and also fails to meet most of the other requirements made by the original poster –

As I said I don’t consider a V8 powered 944 a 944 anymore – I am not saying that V8 powered 944 are ‘bad’, they are just not 944s anymore.
A couple other issues:
The V8 powered 944 will not be street legal (as a Porsche 944) in many states.
How much development time will you need to get all the custom one off parts to work in a real track environment? Very few highly modified 944s actually get sorted out due to this expense. Roy Chong had been sorting out his old 944 turbo for over a decade before it was totaled last year…most quit long before that!
The list of modifications / fabrication you listed, if done professionally and correctly, will get the price of the 944 up to the price of a good used GT3Rs….while the original poster did not mention any budget constraints I live in the real world and always consider the budget as part of the viability of a project. If there is no budget restrictions then yes, buy a F1 car and put a fiberglass 944 body on it….

BTW – have you ever driven a GT3 (regular or RS) on the track? How about ridden in one on the track? If not you don’t really know what you are up against…..

BTW – if I do make an exception and say that your proposed list is a 944 and qualifies the 911GT3RS will still kick its butt in anything longer than a short sprint race….2 hour race – GT3 wins, 6 hour race – 944 won’t even finish…
Personally, I took 951 Spec as "Specification" not "Spec class racer" So if you want to make a 951 motor compete with a GT3RS good luck.

Second, Regardless of how you feel about the V8 option the fact remains that VIN numbers follow Chassis not Engines and as such are totally street legal so long as they meet emission laws in your state. Also, your insurance usually wants to have this information so they can jack your rates. Think about all hot rod owners that don't have matching engines are there cars not street legal? Seriously?

Third, 944 Chassis with proper modification has proven to be a reliable setup in endurance racing over the last 20+ Years. If you are talking about the LS3 Chevy Engine, Palm Face.

Fourth, Car setup really? Now, I will admit that it can be hard to get the perfect setup takes knowledge and Experience. Also, conditions will always be a factor. That being said getting a base setup and general feeling of the car is not very difficult if you use your brain. The same can be said for a 911 GT3 RS if you want to set it up perfectly its going to take time so I fail to see your point.

Fifth, Why do I have to drive any certain car? A simple look at lap times will give an idea of there speed.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Personally, I took 951 Spec as "Specification" not "Spec class racer" So if you want to make a 951 motor compete with a GT3RS good luck.
The engine is not the problem. Matching the GT3RS output is pretty easy for those of us that actually work on the cars….
Second, Regardless of how you feel about the V8 option the fact remains that VIN numbers follow Chassis not Engines and as such are totally street legal so long as they meet emission laws in your state. Also, your insurance usually wants to have this information so they can jack your rates. Think about all hot rod owners that don't have matching engines are there cars not street legal? Seriously?
Vin numbers follow whatever they are welded to. In California you will not able to pass inspection as a ‘944’. Many other states are following that system. Some have exceptions for ‘hot rods’…
I suppose you can always just lie about it and hope not to get caught….

Third, 944 Chassis with proper modification has proven to be a reliable setup in endurance racing over the last 20+ Years. If you are talking about the LS3 Chevy Engine, Palm Face.
Really, I must have missed the 20 years of endurance racing that the 944s participated in. A couple of runs at LeMans is about it…and those weren’t stunning successes either. Broadfoot ran one at Daytona – it was a nice effort but didn’t last very long…
Actually I would love to see what you would do to make a 951 gear box last behind a well-built V8 in an endurance setting….
Palm Face? All I saw was a Lilly white hand waving around that doesn’t look like it has ever seen the business end of a wrench!
Fourth, Car setup really? Now, I will admit that it can be hard to get the perfect setup takes knowledge and Experience. Also, conditions will always be a factor. That being said getting a base setup and general feeling of the car is not very difficult if you use your brain. The same can be said for a 911 GT3 RS if you want to set it up perfectly its going to take time so I fail to see your point.
Yeah, figuring out how to set up a chassis with a set of custom spindles and hubs and a reconfigured rear suspension, shocks and springs along with a drysumped engine with a very different power curve….yeah, that will be just like setting up a GT3RS (which is not much more than picking your tire pressure)…
Fifth, Why do I have to drive any certain car? A simple look at lap times will give an idea of there speed.
A simple look at lap times tells you more about the driver than the car….the truth is that most GT3 drivers are in way over their heads – the car is much better than the driver.

In the end it’s a pointless debate – you are not going to build the car of your spec so you can feel free to imagine what it could do, hell it might even break the speed of light….
Old 06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
HansB
Pro

Your widened car is only running 285 tires out back?
I could run wider tires, but experience shows that with my power/driving levels the 285 tire heats up nicely, similar temps F/R. Tried 305's even 325's, just did not get enough heat in them.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:53 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Hans as i said i believe my rear sub-frame to be better than the KOKLEN I'll show you if you like and you can make one ..
It would be interesting. What did you change?
The Kokeln setup was for me one of the cheapest ways to lower the car and loose weight. A custom setup would have been more expensive.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:03 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Hans, pm sent.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,

What is your reasoning and/or experience as to why a 944 won't work in an endurance race.

I know a few people have tried it, and it didn't work...but has it been the cars fault?
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by m73m95
Chris,

What is your reasoning and/or experience as to why a 944 won't work in an endurance race.
I know a few people have tried it, and it didn't work...but has it been the cars fault?
To be truly successful in endurance racing take a lot of development – the kind that the 911 guys have had for 40+ years.

Its not our cars fault, its just lack of development of true racing parts. Our cars were never really raced with factory support and the cost to develop those parts is a lot higher than most folks can afford.

A good example is how many dry sump 944s have most people seen? Not many…and that is pretty much a mandatory part to go GT class racing (If you want it to last!)
The other problem is that most of us are running with a lot more power than stock. I believe you could make a 944 NA into a successful endurance racer a lot easier than a 944 turbo. If you were to take a GT3 and double the horsepower you would have similar problems getting it to last.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:15 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So the engine is basically the only problem?

If you could get a 16v 3.0L to give ~500hp for 24 straight hours, you'd have a winner?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 PM
944CS
Drifting

Originally Posted by m73m95
So the engine is basically the only problem?

If you could get a 16v 3.0L to give ~500hp for 24 straight hours, you'd have a winner?
far from it.....

That's the development that chris is talking about. Say you get the engine to be reliable for 24 hours of all out running. You have to think about the heat that builds up in all components after a short amount of time and is then constant for hours. Wear and tear take on a new meaning. Things off the top of my head that could fail after hours of racing on a stock type car;

wheel bearings/hubs - stock front's won't last long
spindles - probable fatigue failure in an endurance race
CV axles
trans - won't last long unless you are babying it, in which case you won't be keeping up with a GT3RS
oil temps ok?
coolant temps ok?
ball joints
Control arms
rear trailing arm shock mounts - single shear lower won't fly
clutch fork
brake cooling sufficient?
shifter/anything in the linkage

Quick Reply: 951 Spec to be Competitive with 997 GT3 RS