Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Spec to be Competitive with 997 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rop3 i can only imagine that collection of cars is like living in **** movie ...i hate you ...
Old 06-18-2010, 02:43 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Rop3 i can only imagine that collection of cars is like living in **** movie ...i hate you ...
NO! THIS collection is like living in a **** movie!
Attached Images  

Last edited by ehall; 06-18-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
NO! THIS colection is like living in a **** movie!
Where did you get a picture of my girlfriends?
Old 06-18-2010, 04:13 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well dip me vodka and red bull and throw me in there
Old 06-18-2010, 04:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

NO! THIS colection is like living in a **** movie!
This looks like a demonstration for the hp vs torque 'discussion'.
HooHaaH!!

So today we had a bit of fun at the pre event track day and did a Motorkhana, Hillclimb, short circuit, long circuit 'Quadrathalon' if I may. Quite a bit of fun actually. This humble 951 came 3rd out of about 20 cars. The guy that won was in a pretty warm Evo full cage etc. 2nd place was with a GT3 and I squeezed into 3rd. Except for a big spin on the Hillclimb that handed 11 seconds to the 2nd place car I should have taken the Silver medal. Now my point isn't to say "I'm da greatest" (far from it) but to point out that our humble little cars can be made competitive even with a 2.5L motor with stock internals. Now there is no way I could keep this up for any real length of time as the GT3s will just keep going all day where I'm bouncing and sliding around just to keep going straight.

Perhaps with Dry Sumping, Deck plates,/MIDs, modified cranks, big headstuds and running E85...we could see some big improvement in reliability over longer distances. That's not to mention any actual performance upgrades that are a 'given' in this discussion. Without changing to a V8 (which I also agree with Chris-good cars but not the real deal) we could also upgrade the suspension to something more contemporary. As we know, Steve Rea's Porvette had the whole rear end of a Corvette. Interesting concept...cheap, readily available, lots of performance upgrades...are we allowed this concession Chris?
Old 06-18-2010, 05:15 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Where did you get a picture of my girlfriends?
http://stdcarriers.com/registry/search.aspx
Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
This looks like a demonstration for the hp vs torque 'discussion'.
HooHaaH!!

So today we had a bit of fun at the pre event track day and did a Motorkhana, Hillclimb, short circuit, long circuit 'Quadrathalon' if I may. Quite a bit of fun actually. This humble 951 came 3rd out of about 20 cars. The guy that won was in a pretty warm Evo full cage etc. 2nd place was with a GT3 and I squeezed into 3rd. Except for a big spin on the Hillclimb that handed 11 seconds to the 2nd place car I should have taken the Silver medal. Now my point isn't to say "I'm da greatest" (far from it) but to point out that our humble little cars can be made competitive even with a 2.5L motor with stock internals. Now there is no way I could keep this up for any real length of time as the GT3s will just keep going all day where I'm bouncing and sliding around just to keep going straight.

Perhaps with Dry Sumping, Deck plates,/MIDs, modified cranks, big headstuds and running E85...we could see some big improvement in reliability over longer distances. That's not to mention any actual performance upgrades that are a 'given' in this discussion. Without changing to a V8 (which I also agree with Chris-good cars but not the real deal) we could also upgrade the suspension to something more contemporary. As we know, Steve Rea's Porvette had the whole rear end of a Corvette. Interesting concept...cheap, readily available, lots of performance upgrades...are we allowed this concession Chris?
I'll answer for Chris, based on the parameters set by the O.P., NO!
If that's what it takes, you'll need a Vette...and DAMMIT! I ain't throwin no Z06 or ZR1 outta bed anytime soon!

Why are we always trying to be something else around here. We're good at what WE do. If one wants to do something else, then cool!...but DAMMIT! ...it is something else. There's nothing at all wrong with that.

There is no way in Hell that you can make a 951 perform like a GT3, much less like an RS or RSR.
Now, If you can make one last for 24 hours, and can get a tire company to provide you with the type of tire scenario that B.F. Goodrich provided to the Brumos/BFG/ 24 hr LeMans class winner...AND if you can get the sanctioning body to allow you in, you might just have a shot...especially with the chicane on the Mulsanne straight.

Keep in mind this. They won on cut down street tires and had a massive fuel mileage advantage. One of their cars died to gear box failure IIRC. The other won because everyone else spent too long in the pits.
THAT is the Porsche recipe for excellence. We out-handle, out-brake and out-last our competition.
But what if our competition is a far better and more advanced version of us?

That's what the GT3, of today, is.
I'm glad to share space with them.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ-pbgqV2x4
Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKxQ...eature=related
Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ZING!

Nothing a good shower won't cure
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Wait for it....

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2010, 04:54 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Actually Elliott, the OP asked can he make his or a 951 to go as fast as a GT3RS in a nutshell. Somehow we got into Endurance racing and essentially all agreed that this is not possible. Dial it back a bit and look at track events that are not Enduros and I assume the OP may have also meant on the street? Most of us agree that we should take the V8 option off the table...but I still think to answer the original question we should be 'allowed' to discuss other suspension systems to try and bring this hypothetical 951 somewhere into this century as far as suspension goes. I'm not saying this has to be from a Corvette. It may be from another Porsche. Just that with our rear end, it does make life a little more difficult to achieve the goal against a pretty cutting edge machine. Besides, this is all just bench racing anyway.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually Elliott, the OP asked can he make his or a 951 to go as fast as a GT3RS in a nutshell. Somehow we got into Endurance racing and essentially all agreed that this is not possible. Dial it back a bit and look at track events that are not Enduros and I assume the OP may have also meant on the street? Most of us agree that we should take the V8 option off the table...but I still think to answer the original question we should be 'allowed' to discuss other suspension systems to try and bring this hypothetical 951 somewhere into this century as far as suspension goes. I'm not saying this has to be from a Corvette. It may be from another Porsche. Just that with our rear end, it does make life a little more difficult to achieve the goal against a pretty cutting edge machine. Besides, this is all just bench racing anyway.
Considering he specifically said no roll cage.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fishey
Considering he specifically said no roll cage.
which makes it even less possible.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually Elliott, the OP asked can he make his or a 951 to go as fast as a GT3RS in a nutshell. Somehow we got into Endurance racing and essentially all agreed that this is not possible. Dial it back a bit and look at track events that are not Enduros and I assume the OP may have also meant on the street?
Agreed!
This thread went off topic with all the endurance talk, even if it's true.
The first thread asked for what needs to be done to be "competitive". And one just need to watch Patrick's video to see that it's not impossible. Doesn't matter if Patrick were a better driver or not, it's clear to see that Patrick's car is competetive. And sure, Patrick's car is modified and well sorted but it's not a custom, one-off, six digit build (at least not in the parts actually mounted in the car )

To have OEM reliability on a 20 year old modded car won't happen so I think we can put that disucssion aside

Quick Reply: 951 Spec to be Competitive with 997 GT3 RS