Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Spec to be Competitive with 997 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 03:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay, go on over and ask Leh Keen is he can do the same lap times in Pat's car and a GT3.

Remember to post his outright laughter.

Pat is clearly a good driver, and in most of his vids, the other guys are not so good.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you either overrate the GT3 or underestimate a well setup 951. Sure, the 997 GT3 RS is a very, very fast track car but it's not Cup car territory. I have no idea who Leh Keen is or if he knows anything about Pat's car.

And clearly the differance between a GT3 RS and Pat's car isn't large enough to provoke outright laughter. The RS is probably faster, but not laughable..
Old 06-19-2010, 07:06 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Well the GT3 does 'feel' a lot better in many ways to our cars in the short passenger lap I got last time out.....but yesterday that same Green GT3RS did a 1.092. Rod / Thingo did a 1.790, Sean / JET951 did a 1.753 right at the end of the day, and some clown managed to sneak in a 1.059 in my car heheheh.
There is no way I could do those times sustained for very long. The GT3s would just keep on going for longer, but as touched on, the OP (where has that poor guy gone lol) just wanted to be competitive so I guess this counts doesn't it? The really quick guys in their GT3s (not on slicks) also managed 1.059s to put this in perspective.
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...2010.WAKE.S2.Y

I was thrashing the hell out of my poor little car. The new 993 oil cooler is working a treat though. never over 100C / 212F.

Here's a bit of Sean (Black '86) and Rod (White '89) that I filmed on the last corner before the straight. Nice little drift action from Sean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8IYEgpAR8
Old 06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
I think you either overrate the GT3 or underestimate a well setup 951. Sure, the 997 GT3 RS is a very, very fast track car but it's not Cup car territory. I have no idea who Leh Keen is or if he knows anything about Pat's car.

And clearly the differance between a GT3 RS and Pat's car isn't large enough to provoke outright laughter. The RS is probably faster, but not laughable..
You didn't get the memo the GT3 RS does not have to obey the laws of physics.. Its super advanced macpherson strut is clearly way more advanced (20+ years more) Also its rear suspension god talk about advanced!!! and the tub without question is untouchable. I mean if your 350lbs lighter and have more HP your not going to match the GT3 RS..
Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 AM
rop3
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Not exactly but close, my problem get to attached to these cars never want to sell them.

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Rop3 i can only imagine that collection of cars is like living in **** movie ...i hate you ...
Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
NO! THIS collection is like living in a **** movie!
Rolex's girl is in there, isn't she?

And to answer the original posters prayers and dreams, its apparently been done here! CLICK HERE

^^^ for the clueless.. that's sarcasm

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-21-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know everybody has seen a 944 pass a GT3 and think that their car can hang.

But the reality of it is quite a bit different. Especially if you have the car properly prepared with a real driver.

If you take that bone stock GT3RS and gut it, align it, add the proper aero, setup the trans with a close ratio gear set and a GT 40/60 dff, and put on a set of Yokohama slicks.... no 951 will ever keep up on the track (unless it's a full tube frame one-off car like Orca or Flipper... but even then I never saw either one do the kinds of lap times the prepped GT3 could do.)

These cars seem to defy the laws of physics. They are so damn fast even when they are down on power it's just amazing.

With drivers that are equal to me, and me running a lesser NT01 tire.... I get lapped. Yeah the tire is a couple of seconds per lap difference. These cars are running like 6+ seconds per lap faster than my car at 2625lbs with almost 400RWHP.

And the difference is pretty consistent no matter the track.

So if you think you're gonna take a GT3RS that's preparred like I mentioned above... you better think again.

Your only hope is that the driver is simply not as good as you.

TonyG
Old 06-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Agreed, modified 996/997 are too fast. Luckily this thread started out with "modified 951 vs stock 997 gt3 rs"
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I was thrashing the hell out of my poor little car. The new 993 oil cooler is working a treat though. never over 100C / 212F.
Pics of the cooler setup?
What do you mean by "there is no way I could do those times sustained for very long." ?
Were the water/oil temps rising? Brakes overheating? Engine intake air temp rising? Tires overheating?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, modified 996/997 are too fast. Luckily this thread started out with "modified 951 vs stock 997 gt3 rs"
We call a modified RS a Cup car... just FYI

Also, your talking 3050lbs vs 2650lbs

So 400lbs in weight alone.. Sure your moddified GT3 RS should be pretty fast..
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

I'm not following..
First, calling a modified RS a Cup car is just misleading as it doesn't say anything about level of modification. And by modded 996/997 I include turbo's and GT2's. There's a few of those built to Cup specs with 600+ bhp locally and they are indeed too fast..
Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leh Keen is a young American driver, and RL member, who just pulled a second in GT at LeMAns, won the Rolex 24, in a GT3, 2 years ago, and is quickly becoming one of the top young sportscar drivers. I've personally seen him lap the very best prepped 951's at Daytona, in a 996, much less his cup car, during the PCA races down there.
Patrick has a really nice car, but Patrick makes it as fast as it is. In most of his vids, he is behind someone that can't drive at his level, which makes his car look that much faster.

I used the LeMans example, in those vids, to show that there is only one real scenario where these cars could be competitive.
Whether or not that fits the O.P.'s scenario, specifically, is irrelevent.
Against similarly classed cars, in a sanctioned event, our cars are great. In an open class, that includes GT3's, with all drivers being of the same experience and training, we get our butts kicked.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:55 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We don't get our butts kicked by gt3's down here, equal standard drivers.
Patrick was the fastest car on r-spec and with a 2.5 at that.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Leh Keen is a young American driver, and RL member, who just pulled a second in GT at LeMAns, won the Rolex 24, in a GT3, 2 years ago, and is quickly becoming one of the top young sportscar drivers. I've personally seen him lap the very best prepped 951's at Daytona, in a 996, much less his cup car, during the PCA races down there.
Patrick has a really nice car, but Patrick makes it as fast as it is. In most of his vids, he is behind someone that can't drive at his level, which makes his car look that much faster.

I used the LeMans example, in those vids, to show that there is only one real scenario where these cars could be competitive.
Whether or not that fits the O.P.'s scenario, specifically, is irrelevent.
Against similarly classed cars, in a sanctioned event, our cars are great. In an open class, that includes GT3's, with all drivers being of the same experience and training, we get our butts kicked.

He also just got some good face time on SPEED for the Grand-Am Mid-Ohio race
Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Pics of the cooler setup?
What do you mean by "there is no way I could do those times sustained for very long." ?
Were the water/oil temps rising? Brakes overheating? Engine intake air temp rising? Tires overheating?
I get your question and in some things it was fine such as the water and oil, but it's more a general statement meaning that if it was a longer (not necessarily endurance) race, my brakes might get a bit hot, tyres go off, but mostly it might be the actual driver. Meaning that having gone in the Black car in this clip as a passenger when he was on slicks doing high 1.03s it was a much easier ride for the driver. Whereas I've got to really throw my car around to do 1.06s. Plus I had to really get into the high rpms which on a stock motor isn't the best, and the stock oiling (except for 993rs cooler) was getting a little flustered. Saw the '!' light flickering under heavy braking/cornering. As we use a 25w/60 I feel this helped enormously...but I am looking at a modded sump all the same.

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...2010.WAKE.S2.Y
As you can see in this list, the 3 of us are going quite well against some pretty good machinery. Rod has had a bit of development issues with his car and now it's all starting to come together. Sean only has medium Reds and all rubber bushings so is going very well also. The problem we face in the club is that there is still a little bit of suspicion with our cars being modified turbos and front engine cars as well. When we start doing good times they start looking at us and you know some people are asking questions.

I make the mistake of car watching in this clip instead of my lines/brakepoints. I'd never been up with these guys before so you have to learn their brakepoints too. When they got away from me a little I did my best time which snuck under these two guys who are the fastest on R spec. It may be that I am going to get put into their class now and points adjusted retroactively. Oh well I don't care. Just want to go faster. The best thing about filming is learning. I can see lots of things I can improve on still, so doing some good times now gives me hope that there is better yet to come.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj5y1355tfU

Last edited by 333pg333; 06-21-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 951 Spec to be Competitive with 997 GT3 RS