Link G4

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Link G4

Okay - the Link is installed and the car is running! Here are my initial impressions:

Installation: The wiring harness is ready to install as soon as you get it. I had to add ballast resistors to mine as the Storm will only drive high-impedance injectors. The Extreme will drive both (if I'm reading the info correctly). The Extreme also has built in knock block, so if you're looking to get every ounce of power out of your car I'd go with the Extreme. In hindsight, I wish I had. Anyway, I removed the intake for access to the old harness. It was actually not as hard as I thought to remove the old harness. It was certainly nice to throw it in the corner of the garage! While it was stiff and brittle, the new one was, well what can I say - new! There was plenty of length to run it. I found one problem with hooking up the TPS and oil sender as there wasn't a lot of length to separate the where they were joined, but I was able to make it with an inch or two to spare. Otherwise it was a simple process as it came fully labeled for each connection. One other problem was the new injector connections. They are taller than the originals as they include a spring type connection for easy removal. I was not able to fit mine between the LR fuel rail and intake runner of the #3 cylinder. I had to remove the spring clip and cut the "ears" off to get it on. I don't know if this is a problem with a stock FR or not. Dave (evil 944t) has a G3 on his car with a FR he made himself and he has no fitment problems. I'm just including it here as an FYI.

Overall thoughts: easy to install.

Customer service: I called both Dave and Neil (the Link guy). Neil usually dealt with me through Dave, but Dave called him 3 times on a Saturday from the front seat of my car and Neil was willing to spend as much time as we needed to sort out any issues. At one point he asked if I thought the wiring harness had any problems that needed to be improved upon and I explained the issue about the joining point for the TPS, oil sender, and air temp. He said he'd fix that so it was easier for the next person. Dave came to my house so you can't beat THAT customer service, but I don't think everyone would get that level

Overall thoughts: I was happy with the level of service.

The Link G4: Okay - this thing is COOL! My car had a rough running issue before the system was installed, so I went through more of a process than most would. Once it was in and wired, we discovered a bad battery (that Dave drove me to the store to replace), fouled plugs (another ferry to the store by Dave), and low coolant (my father-in-law this time). The car did not crank when we first attempted, so we checked the plugs and injectors. I had an old plug and we just plugged it into the plug wire and Dave just turned it on at the computer to see if it fired. Same with the injectors. Once we determined everything was working, we went back through the system and made sure everything was turned on. We had apparently missed one of the assignments at the calibration start-up. The car fired right up but ran rough (that was the plug trip). We installed the new plugs and while thinking through the new coil (99 Subaru Forrester) realized it fired 1&2 when my car needed 1&4. We swapped the 2 & 4 wires and she started up right away! Dave jumped into the system and made fuel corrections on the fly to get the car to idle and then we let the auto tune take over. It was pretty freakin' amazing! It would automatically adjust air and fuel for each cell and the move on to the next while we just sat and watched. Maybe I'm easily impressed and I'm certainly a neophyte when it comes to tuning, but having it take most of the guesswork out was everything I needed! You just set the target AFR and watch as the actual AFR (in my case it started at about 16) slowly comes in line to the target. Pretty damn cool! If you want to see all of the inputs you can massage you should download the software and play around with it. I didn't have any time to play as we are moving and I just wanted the car running so I could get it on the dolly. I'll play with it more after the move (and I get Windows installed on my Mac!).

Overall thoughts: I LOVE this thing!

I'm sure you guys will have some questions I didn't address here and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can. Hopefully, Dave can jump in some too. Overall, I am quite happy with the system and now have a MAF, ARC, and EBC to sell!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:19 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Great news and great review Michelle!

Enjoy the car and please get some new pics or a video up
Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Nice impartial write up Michelle. Wonder if Dave will drive me to the shop for plugs heheh

I remember talking about Auto tune a couple of years ago and everyone just sort of scoffed at the idea. I was sure it could be done, and pretty easily really. Nice to see that someone's actually come up with it.

Did you ever dyno your car before? Will be interesting to see the differences if you did.

Oh, we're just having Neil change my harness to add Traction control. Perhaps you guys might try it too at some stage.

I do wonder how long this thread will last though.....
Old 05-10-2009, 10:41 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

I have never dyno'd the car. It would've been nice to have a baseline. I am either going to have to dyno it or buy the knock-block to do the fine tuning. I just can't wait to get through this move so I can drive her again!
Old 05-10-2009, 01:00 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
I have never dyno'd the car. It would've been nice to have a baseline. I am either going to have to dyno it or buy the knock-block to do the fine tuning. I just can't wait to get through this move so I can drive her again!
If both of our significant others didn't ask us to stop playing together, we could have done a bunch of driving and tuning. The tune is plenty fine for driving around and mild boost. I would recommend you take it to the dyno for your WOT map but for street driving, turn on your auto tune and drive around.

You can also turn on quick tune and it will self populate the cells above and below the "auto-tuned" cell.

I can't believe you didn't tell them what your favorite function was??(think startup(rpm gauge))
Old 05-10-2009, 01:16 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Does this system work with the stock reference sensors? Also, not sure if you mentioned this somewhere else, but if you're selling your MAF, how are you measuring airflow in? MAP? a different MAF?

The auto-tune sounds really interesting - I have some experience with EFI tuning, but not enough to really start out with a blank slate and tune a car. This autotune thing sounds like it might lower the learning curve a bit though
Old 05-10-2009, 01:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What was the cost on the system? Who did you purchase through? You can send an email to PorscheDoc at kcws.org if there are issues with posting the "where" information on the board here.....

Now you've got me thinking about ditching the MAF, EBC, Harness, stock computers and the Tec3 system I was going to put in........
Old 05-10-2009, 01:27 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

The Link has a built in MAP. You just need to add an air temp sensor to the manifold. I have ZERO experience/understanding of ECU's and I was able to grasp what was going on relatively quickly. I think the learning curve will be significantly reduced due to the auto tune

Here's my air temp sensor in place:
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2009, 01:32 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
What was the cost on the system? Who did you purchase through? You can send an email to PorscheDoc at kcws.org if there are issues with posting the "where" information on the board here.....

Now you've got me thinking about ditching the MAF, EBC, Harness, stock computers and the Tec3 system I was going to put in........
I don't see any reason to PM - I got it from Dave at CEP. I paid almost $2700 for the harness, ECU, air temp sensor, and boost solenoid. I then had to buy a Subie coil for $220 (from the dealer 'cause I needed it quick for the move). However, I purchased the Storm. The Extreme is $7-800 more IIRC.

I am soooooo happy to be rid of all the peripherals. I only have to deal with one unit and had the car with a basic tune within a couple of hours.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:36 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by white924s
Does this system work with the stock reference sensors?
Ooops - missed this before. It does work with the stock ref/speed sensors and Neil includes the connections on the wiring harness.

Originally Posted by evil 944t
I can't believe you didn't tell them what your favorite function was??(think startup(rpm gauge))
The tach now does a full sweep when you turn on the key!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:09 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

So, if I'm taking this right. If say, down the road you decide to get a big ole turbo or worked cyl head. All you have to do is install it and re-run the auto tune? How accurate is the auto-tune to say a final tune?
Old 05-10-2009, 02:35 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clint,

From what I know about thi system, it's even easier than you suggest. If the AFR correction is turned on during autotune, ALL you have to do is to make any necessary changes to your AFR target table and the main fuel table will be changed for you, automatically.

As for the accuracy, I have never seen anything as accurate as this system, and I have used both EFI Tech and Motec in the past.

Remember, autotune should not take the place of proper tuning to get the most safe torque. However, for most here, it will be far better than relying upon other persons making up chips and "piggy back add on" tuning.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:18 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

The only issue you are going to have is ignition timing for boost. For that you will need a dyno or some way to detect knock. As for the AFR - let the Link do all the work!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Well, I think I may just have to skip all the middle stuff and start saving for a Link! It makes sense after all the money that will be spent for a Maf/piggybacks/ebs. Then tuning time....then troubleshooting...then etc etc. Not to mention factory wiring issues!

Yep...I'm sold!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

Is the harness direct from Link?

Quick Reply: Link G4