Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

data search - cost to get 500rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey while we're asking questions like this:

What does it take to get a 2.5L to a 2.8L?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amirpc
Hey while we're asking questions like this:

What does it take to get a 2.5L to a 2.8L?
Either a 3.0l crank and aftermarket rods or an overbore with custom pistons.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:41 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
Either a 3.0l crank and aftermarket rods or an overbore with custom pistons.
Know where I can read more about this? Search is broken and clarks doesn't have anything that I can find.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Know where I can read more about this? Search is broken and clarks doesn't have anything that I can find.
What do you want to know?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TurboTim
To make 500WHP on a dedicated track car will require even more money
Tim, you are dead on the money with that one.

Originally Posted by 944J
yeah not for full race for sure, i'm thinking of a stripped down street car with a roll cage but done so it still looks nice and can be driven daily, i probably wont ever track it so its just a fun car to build... but def just for driving.

Well now, since you clarified your usage you have many options. You should do a search on someone called Special Tool and see what he did with a 2.5L. Actually, below is a link to when he made that 600+ RWHP, and he gives you his exact build as well. Good luck with the project.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...whp-951-a.html
Old 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

What do you want to know?
Really just looking as to whats involved in putting in a 3.0L crank...that increases the stroke right, so does that have anything else it needs besides the rods? I'm rebuilding my engine, I mean if its that simple I'd do it...but nothing is ever that simple!

Seems like thats a heck of a lot simpler than overboreing my cylinders, or am I mistaken here?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Really just looking as to whats involved in putting in a 3.0L crank...that increases the stroke right, so does that have anything else it needs besides the rods? I'm rebuilding my engine, I mean if its that simple I'd do it...but nothing is ever that simple!

Seems like thats a heck of a lot simpler than overboreing my cylinders, or am I mistaken here?
The cost is about the same whether you go stroker/overbore. The piston pin height is different for the 3.0L as well.

Personally I would recommend going overbore because then you have the added benefit of strong steel cylinders. They are tougher and If you get some kind of damage to them, you can easily hone them.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 PM
amirpc
Rennlist Member

The cost is about the same whether you go stroker/overbore. The piston pin height is different for the 3.0L as well.

Personally I would recommend going overbore because then you have the added benefit of strong steel cylinders. They are tougher and If you get some kind of damage to them, you can easily hone them.
hmmm okay. Search is back on so I'm going to do a little research there. Thanks for the info though I now have enough to figure out the rest I think
Old 02-20-2009, 07:37 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 302 Posts

Sleeving our blocks is kinda controversial, in a way. Some say dont do it, some say do. For a DD, I personally wouldnt sleeve. Thats just my $.02 tho.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tone3721
Sleeving our blocks is kinda controversial, in a way. Some say dont do it, some say do. For a DD, I personally wouldnt sleeve. Thats just my $.02 tho.
People have been doing it successfully on all kinds of cars for decades, why wouldn't you?

You have more piston options, and they are very very strong.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

People have been doing it successfully on all kinds of cars for decades, why wouldn't you?

You have more piston options, and they are very very strong.
Thermodynamics.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Thermodynamics.
Care to be a bit more specific

If it's good enough for some of the toughest race motors, why isn't it good enough for a street car?

The two metals expand differently, but on the boost/power levels that a street car sees it's probably no big deal.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Care to be a bit more specific

If it's good enough for some of the toughest race motors, why isn't it good enough for a street car?

The two metals expand differently, but on the boost/power levels that a street car sees it's probably no big deal.
You said it, the different metals expand, and contract at different rates. Some have told me it works, some say the alloy our block is made of doesnt take it so well. The cylinders walls in the 2.5 are also said to be "thin", and the block has a tendency to "twist". Most of the the engines prepared for track use, expect to be rebuilt often, as stated earlier in the thread. Street cars the opposite. If I ever find a good deal on a tub locally, and find some space to fit it, Ive been thinking about building a trackrat. If I did that id just bore one of my 2.5 blocks to hell and sleeve it. I expect to be constantly building a maxed race engine. Even easier to rebuild all the time with sleeves. Many piston options, and can change the sleeves out. Like I said its not something that everyone agrees on. I could see it being a possible issue with our Al alloys.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

You said it, the different metals expand, and contract at different rates. Some have told me it works, some say the alloy our block is made of doesnt take it so well. The cylinders walls in the 2.5 are also said to be "thin", and the block has a tendency to "twist". Most of the the engines prepared for track use, expect to be rebuilt often, as stated earlier in the thread. Street cars the opposite. If I ever find a good deal on a tub locally, and find some space to fit it, Ive been thinking about building a trackrat. If I did that id just bore one of my 2.5 blocks to hell and sleeve it. I expect to be constantly building a maxed race engine. Even easier to rebuild all the time with sleeves. Many piston options, and can change the sleeves out. Like I said its not something that everyone agrees on. I could see it being a possible issue with our Al alloys.
It definitely works, and if It's done properly they are very tough. I had a dry sleeved 2.8 block for a while, unfortunately I never got to use it. I would gladly trust a properly sleeved block just as much as I would trust an alumisil bore.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

It definitely works, and if It's done properly they are very tough. I had a dry sleeved 2.8 block for a while, unfortunately I never got to use it. I would gladly trust a properly sleeved block just as much as I would trust an alumisil bore.
As you said yourself, its "probably no big deal" I tend to have problems with maybes, and probablies. Any degree of doubt is usually enough for me to go the safer route. I dont care for grey areas when it comes to my 951. Im also sure there are a few around who could build such a motor, and would last. Im not saying every time you sleeve it it will fail, just that theoretically it is possible. My philosophy is WWPD, what would porsche do?

Quick Reply: data search - cost to get 500rwhp