Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

you mean people crushed his dream....hes a broken man (boy) now......

Old 02-23-2009, 05:15 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey spoolin yea you missed the action going on in this tread !
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris White
you mean people crushed his dream....hes a broken man (boy) now......

lol

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Hey spoolin yea you missed the action going on in this tread !
I know right, Im too caught up getting my project running.
Anyways, it was cool to sit back drink some beer and watch all our listers in action.

Oh well, cheers to everyone for trying on the DB
Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

You could tell by page 3 that this thread was going south.

I am in the middle of a complete rebuild buying everything as cheap as I can find it and I will be 7-8k in this project when it is done.

That is a rebuilt stock motor, Stand alone EMS to run at 18 psi. In order to make it all work as a package you need bigger brakes, LSD transaxle, wheels and tires, injectors, exhaust, and then any other regular maintenance you might need to perform in order to do it right.

I feel that what I have spent on this project is the bare minimum. And I will be happy with 350-400 at the wheels. To go to 500 and do it right is a entirely different animal.

These cars are different. It isn't a Honda. They aren't made to be driven and and thrown away. They are made to be cared for. Much like a industrial tool or machine. PM properly and fix what breaks and they will last forever. Don't and 944j will buy it for $500 and put some home brew V8 in it and paint it pink at Maaco.

Every time, someone comes to me wanting to buy a Porsche I try to talk them out of it. I figure that if after listening to me and they still want one then they might be worthy of caring for one. Otherwise they need to go find something that all you have to do is change the oil and keep air in the tires. But a Porsche is not in that category.

Last edited by Kool; 02-24-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kool
You could tell by page 3 that this thread was going south.

I am in the middle of a complete rebuild buying everything as cheap as I can find it and I will be 7-8k in this project when it is done.

That is a rebuilt stock motor, Stand alone EMS to run at 18 psi. In order to make it all work as a package you need bigger brakes, LSD transaxle, wheels and tires, injectors, exhaust, and then any other regular maintenance you might need to perform in order to do it right.

I feel that what I have spent on this project is the bare minimum. And I will be happy with 350-400 at the wheels. To go to 500 and do it right is a entirely different animal.

These cars are different. It isn't a Honda. They aren't made to be driven and and thrown away. They are made to be cared for. Much like a industrial tool or machine. PM properly and fix what brakes and they will last forever. Don't and 944j will buy it for $500 and put some home brew V8 in it and paint it pink at Maaco.

Every time, someone comes to me wanting to buy a Porsche I try to talk them out of it. I figure that if after listening to me and they still want one then they might be worthy for caring for one. Otherwise they need to go find something that all you have to do is change the oil and keep air in the tires. But a Porsche is not in that category.
I really couldn't have put it any better myself.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kool
Otherwise they need to go find something that all you have to do is change the oil and keep air in the tires. But a Porsche is not in that category.
But isn't that a bad thing? I don't want a car that constantly needs this and that. That's what the girlfriend is for. The car should obey and serve IMO.

Tone mentioned that it's Porsche-like to do it the hard way and squeeze power out of a small engine. Doesn't that make it more high-strung and contribute to its need for maintenance, and its propensity for failure?

I know I'm in the minority but I think the Porsche way is to do it different but at the same time do it the best way technologically possible. The 959 was the best Porsche of its day and it used watercooling even while the 911-964-993 were still in denial. The CGT is the best Porsche and it uses a V10 not a flat-6. There are many ways to interpret the essence of the make, but in the end I think if what you've put under your hood needs constant supervision, it's not how it was meant to be. Just MHO.

I'm not saying let's all go buy SBCs, I like Porsche engines and tweaking them, but I get annoyed when someone starts talking about how "unPorsche" something is.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to mention that the LS1 is cheaper $ vs $ over time.

I have about six 8v N/A motors (currently 3 spare) because once they break they are not work fixing because they are total crap engines I don't even worry about leaks or belts. I get the next engine for free throw it in the car and wait until it explodes (except the original to the car) its a total waste of money. A simple seal kit for the motor not only is a complete pain the the *** to install cost a decent amount of money. This is of course for a motor that makes on a good day 130whp. So if you have a 8v car why not put a LS1 engine into it? The simple fact is many people will proclaim oh you got to do the shocks/springs/brakes/transmission. Guess what any 150,000mi 924S or 944 is going to have had pretty much all that work done if you upgraded along the way. The cost of doing the swap really comes down to cost of parts to install the motor for someone like myself and its not very expensive. Hell, I could go out and buy a 944 Turbo sure but its going to need work and I am going to have to pull the motor to make it 100% because I damn well know that 95% of all 944's have leaking O-rings at the back of the balance shaft (Vac Leak). Just thinking about doing that work on a 944 Turbo along with clutch/belts makes suicide seem like a good option and I do that job at least once a month if not 4.

Give me a LS1 for a road car. On a track toss a coin.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishey
I have to mention that the LS1 is cheaper $ vs $ over time.

I have about six 8v N/A motors (currently 3 spare) because once they break they are not work fixing because they are total crap engines I don't even worry about leaks or belts. I get the next engine for free throw it in the car and wait until it explodes (except the original to the car) its a total waste of money. A simple seal kit for the motor not only is a complete pain the the *** to install cost a decent amount of money. This is of course for a motor that makes on a good day 130whp. So if you have a 8v car why not put a LS1 engine into it? The simple fact is many people will proclaim oh you got to do the shocks/springs/brakes/transmission. Guess what any 150,000mi 924S or 944 is going to have had pretty much all that work done if you upgraded along the way. The cost of doing the swap really comes down to cost of parts to install the motor for someone like myself and its not very expensive. Hell, I could go out and buy a 944 Turbo sure but its going to need work and I am going to have to pull the motor to make it 100% because I damn well know that 95% of all 944's have leaking O-rings at the back of the balance shaft (Vac Leak). Just thinking about doing that work on a 944 Turbo along with clutch/belts makes suicide seem like a good option and I do that job at least once a month if not 4.

Give me a LS1 for a road car. On a track toss a coin.
Is your comma key broken??
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Tone mentioned that it's Porsche-like to do it the hard way and squeeze power out of a small engine. Doesn't that make it more high-strung and contribute to its need for maintenance, and its propensity for failure?
No. Thats one of the finer points of a Porsche. High strung tho....yeah I guess. I could see that.

Nowadays Porsche isnt even about small engines. To me its about pushing the envelope. In regards to the v8 swaps, to me its low tech, vs high tech. GM OHV v8 = boring ***, low tech, crap. IMO. SOHC i4 turbo = higher tech. Its just plain more advanced. Porsche is about advancement, innovation, etc. Plugging a GM V8 in does none of those. It just gives you a bit cheaper HP. Those engines are so low tech its boring. At least theyre finally Al.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A GM LSX is not low-tech.
There is a lot more to an engine then cam placement.

-Rogue
Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I have my own reasons for thinking they are boring. Not technologically, just because they are so played out.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Lorax
Is your comma key broken??
No, I just suck at the English language.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

No, I just suck at the English language.
I made it through your post, just had to read it twice to comprehend, lol.

compared to vgt37's posts, you are a scholar.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

I personally think the LS1 is also "played out" but there is no denying its ability and its practicality. I have two cars one that already has a very unique "Porsche" Engine. The other is still a 8v N/A 944 motor but I do wish in the near future to replace it with a LS1 for a daily driver. Its the best of both worlds if I must say so myself
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I personally think the LS1 is also "played out" but there is no denying its ability and its practicality. I have two cars one that already has a very unique "Porsche" Engine. The other is still a 8v N/A 944 motor but I do wish in the near future to replace it with a LS1 for a daily driver. Its the best of both worlds if I must say so myself
For a dd I can't see anything better. I'd start with a 931 though just for kicks.

Quick Reply: data search - cost to get 500rwhp