Next Project?...You choose.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
-BRAKE DUCT/PROJECTOR LAMP ASSEMB.-a drop in replacement for your stock fog/driving lights. This units integrates a staggered look with a forward mounted hella-projector light(to the inside) with an offset brake duct (to the outside). One piece molded construction, includes casing, sealed projector fixture and tapered duct vent. (April 15th)

-SIDE NOSE VENT PANELS- think McClaren/Saleen...can't give too much away on this one...yet (May 12th)

other than the meth/H20 system already underway
very interested in these things..
Old 02-18-2009, 02:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
How about a 'real' rear diffuser? (replace the stock one). His could be real cool and real functional.
I’ll do the wind tunnel testing if you want!
Damn, there I was thinking how clever am I thinking no one will pick diffuser and there you are only a couple of posts down!
+1 for me then.

I was also thinking about the lack of real rear wings available for us. The best of the bunch is the 968 with adj centerpiece. It got me thinking when I look at all the ones for GT3s etc why can't we have something that will develop some real downforce. The mounting points have always been the main issue for us. Very few guys are running with Lexan but even those guys have to construct those 'Power cable' towers to mount their big wings. How about being able to take out the centerpiece from the 968 one and have the mounting points for a big ***** on the back there? You could offer it as an option for the guys buying the 968 one? I'm only thinking out loud, but it doesn't seem too hard to me. I think you're going to need something to compensate for the race splitter anyway???

Some great ideas in this thread!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would you guys make an effective diffuser with the stock exhaust placement?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:24 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Who needs to worry about the stock location???
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Seriously, it would also involve getting rid of the spare tire wheel well also. I would like to see if some sort of underbody panels couldn't be fitted to help out with turbulence as well. Guess I'll leave that to Chris.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:33 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Seriously, it would also involve getting rid of the spare tire wheel well also. I would like to see if some sort of underbody panels couldn't be fitted to help out with turbulence as well. Guess I'll leave that to Chris.
Well, the reason I'm mentioning this is because I am building this myself as we speak. I have no exhaust back there and my tire well is trimmed. It's doable, but as a marketable upgrade it's just too much work for most people.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yep, it's definitely more than just a bolt on part. I would think that you'd still need to do something about the undercar turbulence too though, wouldn't you?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yep, it's definitely more than just a bolt on part. I would think that you'd still need to do something about the undercar turbulence too though, wouldn't you?
Too get the most out of it, definitely.

The stock pans are fine in the front, but starting from the passenger compartment you should begin forming channels.

The way I am doing this is by essentially creating 3 sections that bolt on seperately. The center channel is one long piece (Buit on an aluminum frame) from the starter back that has about a 7deg rake starting from the torsion bar housing. It's about 36 inches wide IIRC. The width was chosen because of the obvious space created between the edges of the two floor pans, where the two factory body trays bolt up (those will be removed, obviously)

There will also be two smooth pans theat cover both of the sides.

Mounting is easily accomplished. Steel beams in a "T" shape will run the chassis lengthwise. Those will be permanently attached, and both the side pans and center channel will attach to those rails. The downward protrusion of the rails will ultimately form the channels leading up to the venturi in the rear, as well as allow for easy installation/removal of both the side pans and the center channel independantly.

7 deg should be just about the perfect rake for our application, which is lucky because that is about as much as can be allowed. It would be better if the rake could start further up the body, but it wouldn't clear the trans if it did. It is possible to make a small cut out so that the trans could protrude slightly, but I decided the negative effects of that would outweigh the benefit of beginning the rake earlier. Keeping the air "Attached" to the underside of the car is essential if you actually want to create downforce. On that note, since this is such a wide channel, a fin will run down the center of the raked portion to combat turbulence and help the air "Stick" better.

So yes, if you actually want to do more than just reduce turbulence a bit, then underbody smoothing and channeling are essential. If you do it right you can create lots of downforce.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
-Cup style mirrors-these housings will use the OEM 951 stem and ALL OEM internals
How about RUF, Kremer or Strosek equivalents?
Much better than the Cup units IMO.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
How about a 'real' rear diffuser? (replace the stock one). His could be real cool and real functional.
I’ll do the wind tunnel testing if you want!
+1 Including a partial delete of spare tire compartment. If I ever return to 951's, like racing, I'd need one.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
How about RUF, Kremer or Strosek equivalents?
Much better than the Cup units IMO.
935 style, YES!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
+1 Including a partial delete of spare tire compartment. If I ever return to 951's, like racing, I'd need one.
+1 this is by far the most interesting thing mentioned in this thread!

I would say skip the 968 wing. D9 is already working on some very high quality stuff and IMHO it would be a waste for CPR to compete when there's so many other interesting things missing on the market.

Here's my top list:

RS style interior door covers
Small mirrors
A nice looking rear wing that makes a lot of downforce, nothing less than a 997 GT3 RS type will do IMHO
More modern looking tail lights
A huge hood vent similar to HansB's solution from an Oreca Viper
And how about a Torque tube/bell housing that would offer a tranny conversion!
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

^^ You kooky Swedes. Just love your converted Trannies. lol

Well you cover my point Duke. But creating decent mounting points for a proper rear spoiler isn't easy without a decklid that they have. That's why I think by using the 968 mounts we can achieve exactly this. I agree that if D9 are doing a 968 spoiler then leave that to them. I'm sure there's enough room for both these companies to exist without treading on each other's toes.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

But while we are simply dreaming about trannies you open minded aussies are taking it to the next level!!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

...not that there's anything wrong wth that lol...

Hey you smart guys should figure out a way that we can mount a wing that will create proper downforce.
Has anyone ever determined just how effective the 968rs one is? I just keep seeing those 2 solid outer parts of the wing mount and think how we could do a double decker or some big stepped thing that would really do some damage!!!

Quick Reply: Next Project?...You choose.