Next Project?...You choose.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:12 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
I have a great idea.

How about some fiberglass fenders and hoods that actually mimic the factory dimensions.

It's amazing that for any sports car on the planet you can get high quality fiberglass & carbon fiber replica parts, but for some reason... every lightweight body panel made for the 944 (from all the suppliers) fits like crap (and that's being generous).

TonyG
+951
Originally Posted by CPR
Lorax...you should have been here 4 years ago when I was hiring for a product development manager for the Gov't Chem division...all great ideas.

The manifolds I have played around with some, hence the buy-up back in October. It is fairly expensive to do those, so I "shelved" it for a bit....maybe it is time to go back to it?

Send me some pics of these other items to : CPRacing_aero@live.com

I'll look into it. And thanks for the input, I only want to make what you guys want....not junk or trinkets, just to have "something" to sell.
Patrick, you're already doing a great job on all the cosmetic products you have to offer. In my honest opinion there is already much competition in the performance market so I think it's best if you grow your cosmetic inventory and offerings. Like Tony stated; there is no body out here offering decent lightweight aftermarket body panels, diffusers, morrors, hoods, etc for our cars. IE: if you want a carbon fiber hood from gt-racing its about 900-1100 bucks shipped. When you recieve it you will see that the weaves are all crooked and it dosent fit great not to mention the support. When compared to Carbon Fiber hoods made by other vendors for half the price...it looks like isht. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to discourage you in any way. You have already done a great job marketing your product and I think you understand my point.
Anyways, I vote for updated mirrors, 968 rear rs wing, rear diffuser, RS hood,
I am all for a rear diffuser, updated mirrors, RS hood. AND maybe a rear seat that turns into a bed for all those late night hookers
Old 02-18-2009, 01:19 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
how about the rear engine cover like the 968 but would fit proper

Also maybe some new lower rocker trim that has a small amount of asthetic improvement for those who may not want rockers
This is something I had considered when I experienced a problem finding a used set of the 2 short OEM side pieces in good condition. Plus I can match that material to keep the finish OEM "like".

Would anyone else be interested in these? I would change the design some...along the lines of a more sporty, without "ricey" look.

And again, thanks for the great ideas guys...treat it like this is your company...because it is.

*btw...the mirrors will be about $200
Old 02-18-2009, 01:20 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Instead of plastic intake manifolds, how about cast ones? Aluminum is boring and used everywhere, magnesium on the other hand would be slick. Plus sand casting will not hold nearly the tooling overhead required for plastic molding (I'm guessing you were going to make two parts that would get bonded. Meaning 4 dies, ouch$)
Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 AM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by spoolin51
+951

Anyways, I vote for updated mirrors, 968 rear rs wing, rear diffuser, RS hood,
I am all for a rear diffuser, updated mirrors, RS hood. AND maybe a rear seat that turns into a bed for all those late night hookers
....and here it is, I knew hookers and/or beer would turn up sooner or later!

Dave/EVIL must be passed out already....you beat'em to it
Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Aluminum torque tube? Fiberglass dash? Complete brake cooling kit (scoops, hose, spindle adapters)?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

RS style door panels would be very nice, leather or carbon fiber.

Also dying to get a reasonable quality 968 Turbo S adjustable wing for a reasonable cost as others have already mentioned.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
This is something I had considered when I experienced a problem finding a used set of the 2 short OEM side pieces in good condition. Plus I can match that material to keep the finish OEM "like".

Would anyone else be interested in these? I would change the design some...along the lines of a more sporty, without "ricey" look.

And again, thanks for the great ideas guys...treat it like this is your company...because it is.

*btw...the mirrors will be about $200
I think pelican parts has those short pieces pretty cheap, and YES I would be interested in that. If you could make them protrude a bit lower to help keep direct airflow under the car better... that would be perfect. In fact if you decide to create something like this I'll just have to stop building my own (much uglier) solution and wait to get them.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
Instead of plastic intake manifolds, how about cast ones? Aluminum is boring and used everywhere, magnesium on the other hand would be slick. Plus sand casting will not hold nearly the tooling overhead required for plastic molding (I'm guessing you were going to make two parts that would get bonded. Meaning 4 dies, ouch$)
There's vacuum forming, extruding, and all sorts of fun stuff.

If you're going to do custom intake stuff... do something like individual throttle bodies...
Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Actually now that I think about it... offering a hood out of FRP that incorporate a hood vent behind the IC, two naca ducts (ALA 968TRS) and extending the rear of the hood up to help toss the air over that windshield better (kinda like what d9 sells) would be a good idea. Clean light, good fit etc.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 AM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
On the brake ducts, I was going to email you a recommendation a while ago but figured you were busy enough

The best brake ducts that fit a stock bodied 951 is by far the old OG Racing replacements for the factory brake ducts in the front nose. They are the only ones that can carry the volume needed and the funnel it onto a 3" hose going to a backing plate that seals the eye of the rotor. These are no longer available and even when they were, they were of poor FG quality. The ducts that are available for the fog light replacement have a small hose attachment, and, just try routing the hose through the PS cooler and down and around to the brakes, impossible. Looks good, poor design.
I like the idea of the cowling cover the 968 RS Turbo that covers the wipers and cleans up the air.
I personally would really like an exact replica of the factory dash in a light weight material similar to the one Hans has.
I did email you on a thought about the splitter a couple of days ago.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

a complete rear lexan hatch with 968 RS wing
rear diffuser/deep euro bumper
Old 02-18-2009, 01:35 AM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lorax
I think pelican parts has those short pieces pretty cheap, and YES I would be interested in that. If you could make them protrude a bit lower to help keep direct airflow under the car better... that would be perfect. In fact if you decide to create something like this I'll just have to stop building my own (much uglier) solution and wait to get them.
They would definitely be a bit lower, and to a degree the fronts would mimic the rake/angle of the rear...I have never been a fan of how the front pieces seem to "disappear", but do like the way the rears fan down.

It seems that this one may make the cut
Old 02-18-2009, 01:35 AM
flosho
Pro

How about some 924S/931 cosmetic upgrades?? Euro styled bumper, new front fascia, adjustable 968 rs wing will be sweet.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:47 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
They would definitely be a bit lower, and to a degree the fronts would mimic the rake/angle of the rear...I have never been a fan of how the front pieces seem to "disappear", but do like the way the rears fan down.

It seems that this one may make the cut
In my mind, you could bring the level of the rest of the trim to the lowest point of the rear part, and maybe a bit lower than that. Make it all flat down there to get the best possible aero effect and at the same time maintain ground clearance.

I agree with you on the looks with the factory trim though. One problem is that the front trim pieces get crushed by jacks.

Also, the mounting system for the front sucks. Some extra mounting provisions of some kind would be awesome, especially since I can't personally use the factory mounts with all the work I have done on my fenders.

As to fenders, do you catch what I'm saying about eliminating the beveled edge and trimming them about 1"? You could market them as fenders for lowered cars, also available in wider widths. REmoving the bevel does wonders for the clearance and the aesthetics IMO. No one sells anything like this... hell I'd be willing to pay a lot for you to make me a one off set I want em so bad
Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a more modern tail light lens

much smaller bumper pad (s), actually one continual piece of trim that uses the same holes as stock and slightly wraps around for those who want more modern look w/o going FG or euro.

Quick Reply: Next Project?...You choose.