Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CPRacing: V3 Splitter/PICS....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not seen anything from others, but my V3 did not survive its first outing, but it was ENTIRLY MY Fault. I knew I should have bought more than one. Fortunately, it can be fixed. BTW, my rods arrived as I was leaving for the track. Thanks Patrick.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:09 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
I have not seen anything from others, but my V3 did not survive its first outing, but it was ENTIRLY MY Fault. I knew I should have bought more than one. Fortunately, it can be fixed. BTW, my rods arrived as I was leaving for the track. Thanks Patrick.
As in collision/off roading, or was it due to downforce?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nader,

What I happened?

FYI....I ran the unit last weekend in the best "simulated" race environment I could. averaged 135-145 for 2 mile stretches then dipped through some curvy roads (70-85) and back to 135-145.

Did about 8 of these runs and did not have any issue with scraping, bottom out, etc.....and the backroads are definitely worse than a track. I did have all four supports firmly bolted up.

Feedback please. Want to make sure I am getting this right for everyone.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Nader,

What I happened?

FYI....I ran the unit last weekend in the best "simulated" race environment I could. averaged 135-145 for 2 mile stretches then dipped through some curvy roads (70-85) and back to 135-145.

Did about 8 of these runs and did not have any issue with scraping, bottom out, etc.....and the backroads are definitely worse than a track. I did have all four supports firmly bolted up.

Were there suppose to be 4 supports? I only received 2. I am thinking it should be enough. I guess we will find out this weekend.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:20 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Were there suppose to be 4 supports? I only received 2. I am thinking it should be enough. I guess we will find out this weekend.
Well, he installed 4, but only shipped 2 as 2 should be more than sufficient...

OT.. I love the way my V1 looks bolted to my curb decoration... but my radiator and hoses should be here this week..WOO HOO
Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Doc,
Two were included in the cost of the unit.

I used four...well...because I had four . But in the initial test runs that were done at ~125mph the deflection was showing a bit (.25") at approx. 15" left and right of nose centerline. That is when the supports, IMO, became necessary. I used 2 originally at the east and west measurements listed above and about .75" inward from lip edge.

All indications, it solved the problem. No issues to speak of. When I was experimenting with support lengths I used four (2 long, 2 medium) just to see how they would line up...and just left them on.

My recommendation is to use 2 rods upto 135mph sustained, and 4 rods for +135 sustained. These units will create a tremendous amount of downforce, obviously the greater the speeds the greater the downforce. Provisions for supplemental supports need to be incorporated into ones thought process when deciding upon the real world application the unit will see.

To help out, I will be more than happy to offer additional supports to any original purchaser AT MY COST ($55 + shipping). As I stated before, I want to help everyone get the desired result they seek, PERIOD. Profit is not my goal. Your satisfaction in this product is.

Let me know if I can help in ANY way.

Thanks,

PATRICK
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Let me know if I can help in ANY way.
Come and install it? And put the rest of my car together?

Just kidding. I'll get it all together eventually. I'm hoping to also collect some quantitative data on the amount of downforce it generates...
Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

My take is that there is definite deflection at speed especially if you only use 2 supports. How much deflection and how much this affects performance, I don't know? If you are running on the track and you don't ride huge kerbs or go off the track, then I can't see any issue with these. I still wonder if having steel cable instead of rigid supports mightn't be a bad option so that it allows the splitter to flex upwards if you have a clearance issue, but limits the downward movement at speed?
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Nader,

What I happened?

Patrick,

I am sorry to not have responded sooner, but I was away. I had a mechanical due to a burst coolant hose and tried to pull into a service road to keep the track green. I think that there was a low place that caught the side as I drove off track. As I tried to state in my post, this had nothing to do with the quality/design of the splitter and was totally my fault.

BTW, when you call the FG supplier, they always ask how many of the item you want which to me has always meant that these pieces are consumable. I am very happy wiith the product

Best
Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Finally got my splitter installed today.

It's been sitting around a while, but now it's on! I probably have 6-8 hours into the install, over the course of several days.

I had to make brackets for the rear sides - I bent some pieces of steel, welded on a bolt, then pop-riveted it onto the splitter. Came out very nice.

Then, instead of turn buckles, I used marine cabling to support the front lip. For a clean install, I did all crimp connections (after making a tool for my shop press). The cable and all hardware is stainless (and some copper crimp ends).

I had to take the bumper cover off to attache the center 2 brackets - that was the bulk of the time.

Anyhow, the next nice day I have time, I'll take it out for a drive with my data acquisition, and we'll see if it makes measurable downforce.

Pics:

Old 06-20-2009, 02:05 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
I thought only air-cooled cars leak oil...
Please explain that to my current 951...and DO IT LOUDLY!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:51 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Nice going Van. That's the way to do it with 4 cables. This will allow some upward deflection yet only go a certain amount downwards during deflection. I ripped mine almost in half when I forgot that the stays weren't on there and it got deflected down and caught the road. Crunch time. Ouch. Guess I'll try the V1 that's in the shop.
ps be careful where you drive with your's on. They're very low and are prone to scraping or catching on stuff.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:44 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

I'm actually most concerned about it rubbing as I drive on the trailer...
Old 06-20-2009, 08:58 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Your car doesn't look very low in the pics but I can't tell if it's on the hoist in all of them. The extra ride height will help some.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still haven't get me one can't wait when I do tho

Quick Reply: CPRacing: V3 Splitter/PICS....