Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CPRacing: V3 Splitter/PICS....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

love the honda Jere. that plow looks great, does it work effectively? whats the traction like in the snow.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

here you can see the force applied on the splitter on patricks car. the speed is about 220kmh on the main straight at eastern creek yesterday
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Actually later in the day when we got the car handling better I was touching 240kmh / 150mph indicated.
I'm still wondering on the concept of having some freedom of movement upwards to allow for riding kerbs etc? Either a cable or even some sort of support that has a spring inside it sort of like a little shock absorber? Am I off base here?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Cable sounds like a good idea. Cable with some sort of tensioner you could adjust would be ideal for adjustments.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Actually later in the day when we got the car handling better I was touching 240kmh / 150mph indicated.
I'm still wondering on the concept of having some freedom of movement upwards to allow for riding kerbs etc? Either a cable or even some sort of support that has a spring inside it sort of like a little shock absorber? Am I off base here?
Are you trying to limit the negative vertical travel?

edit...too old, too tired...I meant negative horizontal. Are you trying to limit the negative horizontal travel while allowing a limited positive travel?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Howdy mate. No what I'm thinking is that there is very little movement allowed up or down by using the fasteners supplied. Essentially you have the flex in the splitter material itself. On the track yesterday we don't ride the kerbs much so it didn't matter but on Sunday I'm at a track (Oran Park) where we ride completely over some kerbs normally and I just wondered if there was no upward movement allowed that we may risk cracking or dislodging something. My nose/bumper panel is stock which I imagine is injection molded plastic. Tony's is f/g and therefore possibly more brittle. I'm really just thinking out loud to the group to see various opinions or experiences. If the splitter can move upwards freely when riding an object that's fine. Equally so we can limit it's downward movement with a cable or something similar? Just an idea.
I think I'll leave the proposed side supports off for this Sunday in line with this thinking.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951
love the honda Jere. that plow looks great, does it work effectively? whats the traction like in the snow.
I prefer the other creature riding the Paha Seta. More of her Jere and we can forget about all this other stuff.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:03 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

here you can see the force applied on the splitter on patricks car. the speed is about 220kmh on the main straight at eastern creek yesterday
What was the track temperature that day?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Not sure on the actual temp of the surface of the track. The general temp was up to 90f so pretty hot.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Howdy mate. No what I'm thinking is that there is very little movement allowed up or down by using the fasteners supplied. Essentially you have the flex in the splitter material itself. On the track yesterday we don't ride the kerbs much so it didn't matter but on Sunday I'm at a track (Oran Park) where we ride completely over some kerbs normally and I just wondered if there was no upward movement allowed that we may risk cracking or dislodging something. My nose/bumper panel is stock which I imagine is injection molded plastic. Tony's is f/g and therefore possibly more brittle. I'm really just thinking out loud to the group to see various opinions or experiences. If the splitter can move upwards freely when riding an object that's fine. Equally so we can limit it's downward movement with a cable or something similar? Just an idea.
I think I'll leave the proposed side supports off for this Sunday in line with this thinking.
I sounds to me like you could just put some stiff gas shocks on instead of the tie rods? Maybe attach your own sheetmetal skid plates under the corners as mentioned before?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
Are you trying to limit the negative vertical travel?

edit...too old, too tired...I meant negative horizontal. Are you trying to limit the negative horizontal travel while allowing a limited positive travel?
A negative horizontal travel? Which way is that? A limited positive travel? I think you should have stuck with negative vertical travel
Old 03-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Jere
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those changes on the plow were neccessity, since normal attachments cause problems when driving in the bush since they stand in the middle of the bottom.
Besides, I got the plow for free and I use it only very little, so I didn't pay so much attention on the looks. But it works and I've made several similar plow-mods for my atv-friends.
Traction in snow, well, that kinda depends how much there is snow. In 0,5meters on the ice topspeed is just above 50km/h but it goes forward nicely. In the woods it just goes forward. If not driven then with a winch.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Great picture! I guess I'm wrong about it not needing support.

I like the idea of cables - so that it has some upward give.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
A negative horizontal travel? Which way is that? A limited positive travel? I think you should have stuck with negative vertical travel
Horizontal plane=zero
downward of this plane would be negative, upward would be positve at least from a degree standpoint. Loading measures are the inverse.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What needs to happen is that there needs to be the front 1" wide steel strip along the bottom front of the splitter. This should be there so that if it drags, it hits the steel and not the plastic, but more importantly it needs to be there to give the splitter some rigidity at speed.

It's clear from the picture at speed that the splitter is flexing quite a bit. The steel lip would allow its shape to stay more uniform and consistent. Additionally the steel strip would provide a good set of mounting points for the vertical support rods.

TonyG

Quick Reply: CPRacing: V3 Splitter/PICS....