Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3 Liter Turbo Registry

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah, 24mm. Thanks for catching that, confirmed on the blueprint. Is there an S3? Googling the part number shows it as an S4. It's 928 110 530 2R so whatever that one is. Either way you're right, not a GT part. These are Clevite H bearings that Michael Mount machined in for me. I didn't realize they were from the 2JZ, cool.

Red line, yeah, good question. It's wet sump so I suppose oil cavitation is the limiting factor. I will probably start with a conservative 6700. I might go as high as 7000 if I need more gear at the track. It's something I need to look in to more.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, checking my notes, the things that scare me about higher RPMs are the oiling system and the timing belt / cam pins. I don't think valve float would be an issue with the springs I have but even on stock 951 motors I've seen lots of stress on the cam, partially sheared pins, wallered out gears and such. I have the kevlar belt and Lindsey's adjustable cam gear so maybe 7500 would be doable? But I also need this car to survive 30 HPDE days a year.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:22 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 183 Posts

Congratulations Player0! Looks like a very serious build 👍
Old 12-06-2019, 06:01 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Player0
Looking good. Congrats for the hard work and enjoy!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:15 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

would anyone mind sharing their ignition timing table for a 104x88 turbo engine?

MAP vs RPM would be ideal for me but i can work with other scales.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Thom
Race Car

Post #2 updated.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:16 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Post #2 updated.
Thom you better show what you have done with a pic! 😉 Also would love to know more on those parts from Patrick? He makes very nice parts!
Old 12-23-2019, 03:45 AM
Thom
Race Car

Ok, I have added pics of both engines.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Hey look at that, you can edit posts again! The list in post #1 had grown stale because it had locked me out of editing the post. I guess that's over now. I'm thinking I'll archive the old list of motors in a post, and then start a new list in post #1 to track active running motors.

Thom, awesome looking motor! Did something happen to the old motor or are you just on a quest for power and something new?
Old 12-23-2019, 06:28 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Serious looking packaging there Thom! Should be a very nice motor!
That alu intake from Patrick looks like the carbon version he did for his NA 968. He sell these now?
Old 12-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Hey look at that, you can edit posts again! The list in post #1 had grown stale because it had locked me out of editing the post. I guess that's over now. I'm thinking I'll archive the old list of motors in a post, and then start a new list in post #1 to track active running motors.
It would be nice to have the register sorted. Lots of folks seem to have vanished from the board these days, even long termers.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thom, awesome looking motor! Did something happen to the old motor or are you just on a quest for power and something new?
Thanks, though there are still a few cosmetic details to sort out.
Overall I was happy with my 8V engine after I had finally found a satisying state of tune. It was still running great when we took it out of the car, but you know how it goes, after tinkering with the same engine and hitting its limitations you realise it would be more simple and more fun to start building a new one. A new 16V engine was the next logical step for me rather than keeping beating the dead horse, or rather the "dead" 8V head with its poor flow capabilities no matter how much money you throw at it.
The new engine is far from being tuned or even fully broken-in yet but what it has shown so far is rather promising and it seems it may eventually take me to where I have always wanted to get in terms of drivability and power display, so let's see how things come along.

Originally Posted by PF
Serious looking packaging there Thom! Should be a very nice motor!
That alu intake from Patrick looks like the carbon version he did for his NA 968. He sell these now?
Thanks.
Patrick's ITB carbon plenum and the aluminium intake are both one-offs. Building the aluminium intake took much time and this was done placing my assembled engine in a front shell section to get all relevant dimensions. It was designed to clear most stock ancillaries. At least one more 16V intake will be made for me, but more could be made depending on demand.

Last edited by Thom; 12-24-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:49 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Here is my Porsche 968 Turbo S replica build that could be added to the list Tom?

Engine originaly was built as a spare possibly by Porsche Motorsport for a German raceteam (Uli Weinmann motorsport) for one of the factory 968 Turbo S cars that was converted to RS spec from new.
I bought the engine and Michael Mount rebuilt it within the constraints of keeping it stock looking and using stock Bosch engine management to pass registration here in Sweden (might be updated in the future)

3,1 liter 968 Turbo S replica build
Pistons: JE
Rods: Molnar
Block/crank: 968 sleeved
Head: 8V factory 968 Turbo RS development piece (BIG valves, ceramic lines)
Turbo: Holset HX40/KKK hybrid from Tims turbos
Engine Management: Bosch Motronic
Camshaft: Webcam 274
Wastegate: Tial 46
Exhaust: Custom 3"
Boostcontrol: Turbosmart E boost 2 EBC. 1bar, 392 HP, 570nm

/Peder

​​​​​

Last edited by PF; 12-24-2019 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ealoken (01-28-2020)
Old 12-24-2019, 07:01 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
It would be nice to have the register sorted. Lots of folks seem to have vanished from the board these days, even long termers.

Thanks, though there are still a few cosmetic details to sort out.
Overall I was happy with my 8V engine after I had finally found a satisying state of tune. It was still running great when we took it out of the car, but you know how it goes, after tinkering with the same engine and hitting its limitations you realise it would be more simple and more fun to start building a new one. A new 16V engine was the next logical step for me rather than keeping beating the dead horse, or rather the "dead" 8V head with its poor flow capabilities no matter how much money you throw at it.
The new engine is far from being tuned or even fully broken-in yet but what it has shown so far is rather promising and it seems it may eventually take me to where I have always wanted to get in terms of drivability and power display, so let's see how things come along.

Thanks.
Patrick's ITB carbon plenum and the aluminium intake are both one-offs. Building the aluminium intake took much time and this was done placing my assembled engine in a front shell section to get all relevant dimensions. It was designed to clear most stock ancillaries. At least one more 16V intake will be made for me, but more could be made depending on demand.

I can only imagine the work involved! Did the alu intake clear the stock oilfill and AOS? On the NA carbon version I think Patrick relocated the oilfill?
Old 12-24-2019, 08:02 AM
Thom
Race Car

The intake clears the AOS but not the oil fill tower, which I chose to shorten. It is still accessible and oil filling is not a problem with a good funnel.
Patrick rolled his eyes big time when I cut down the oil fill tower, and even if I admit that his mod with welding the oil fill into the head cover is the most pragmatic solution, I still prefer to have a clean head cover if I can. The 968 cover looks good I think, even without the alu fuel rail cover.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:46 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Ok I see, yes agree still looks good 👍

Quick Reply: 3 Liter Turbo Registry