3 Liter Turbo Registry

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:57 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
happy 10th birthday to this thread...

wonder how many of these are still going?
I'm in. It's a work in progress but I still have an S2 and an eight valve 2.7L head for it along with a turbo intake and exhaust manifold. Haven't ported the intake yet. It's on a continually moving two year horizon for me, I'm still rolling around like a giddy child over the stock performance of the S2 engine. I need to get tired of it and want more before I get serious about turbo charging it .
Old 12-01-2018, 12:14 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

PS: And I've already decided I need another short block 3L for this build anyway; I'm keeping the NA block I have because I have come to seriously love this motor.

I can accept maybe blowing a sacrificial 3L if I can find one at a good price. Otherwise I may well decide to sell the 2.7L head and just drive the snot out of the 3L NA engine, which is a ton of fun to run.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:35 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Otto - look up VEMS for your 944S2...ditch the AFM, hotten-up the tune, good for 20-30 more HP.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:06 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Otto - look up VEMS for your 944S2...ditch the AFM, hotten-up the tune, good for 20-30 more HP.
Spencer - I think of that as "stage II" and I certainly appreciate your confidence. I've been looking at replacing the AFM with a MAF, then going to custom engine management (ala the VEMS) but haven't gotten there yet. My 928 uses a MAF and I have a spare from my parts car but I haven't even looked at fitting it to the S2 throttle yet. Anyone else tried that?

Best Regards,
Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Now 90000 km.
My 3L 8V has crossed the symbolic 100000 km mark recently. Still hardly drinks any oil and runs harder than ever.
Details in post #2 updated with the latest and most likely definitive spec.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
My 3L 8V has crossed the symbolic 100000 km mark recently. Still hardly drinks any oil and runs harder than ever.
Details in post #2 updated with the latest and most likely definitive spec.
Thom -

Hope the question isn't redundant but do you know what sort of power (balllpark, seat of the pants; naturally dyno measurements are great) you're getting? I have a 2.7L head I'm not using and thinking of maybe selling only because I've been so impressed by the power and torque of the NA S2. No doubt I'll eventually want more, but as I said to Spencer, I'm not there yet. Just sort of wondering what I might be giving up by selling the head?
Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Thom -

Hope the question isn't redundant but do you know what sort of power (balllpark, seat of the pants; naturally dyno measurements are great) you're getting? I have a 2.7L head I'm not using and thinking of maybe selling only because I've been so impressed by the power and torque of the NA S2. No doubt I'll eventually want more, but as I said to Spencer, I'm not there yet. Just sort of wondering what I might be giving up by selling the head?
Thom and I have very similar motors in terms of internal parts, so while I won't speak for him, I can say a stockish S2 motor and a built 3 liter turbo are apples and oranges. A fairly modest 3 liter turbo can easily double the torque and HP of a normal S2 motor. Mine made about 500/500 at its peak, but I've turned down the boost and reverted to stock cams since then for longevity and better street manners. (I'm up to about 30k, so obviously need to drive it more to keep up with Thom.) At full tilt, the turbos have explosive acceleration -- point straight, hit the gas, wait for it, then hold on for dear life. I have a new 991 turbo, which is faster by every metric, but I still think the momentary G's of the 951 is higher when the turbos ignite and take off. The S2 is a great, well-balanced ride just like Porsche intended by comparison.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:57 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Thom and I have very similar motors in terms of internal parts, so while I won't speak for him, I can say a stockish S2 motor and a built 3 liter turbo are apples and oranges. A fairly modest 3 liter turbo can easily double the torque and HP of a normal S2 motor. Mine made about 500/500 at its peak, but I've turned down the boost and reverted to stock cams since then for longevity and better street manners.
Thanks Tom. That would be something well worth considering, more than doubling the stock motor performance. I'll still need to work up to it, but for now I think I'll keep the head.

Regards,
Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The butt dyno suggests 430 hp / 650 N.m which is more or less confirmed by calculations based on logged data and comparisons with several other 3L 8V cars I have driven that are faster/slower and make higher/lower figures. That does not mean much anyway as what matters is the shape of the curves and, above everything else, how the engine accelerates, which is not shown on dyno sheets where engine speed is used on the X-axis. I know of a 3L 8V that is quite a bit faster and more efficient to drive than mine but it's a bore to drive. Think modern turbo-diesel flat and wide torque band. In fact the owner will fit a larger turbo in the hope to make it a bit more fun as it feels too much of an electric motor at the moment. Just saying.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:45 PM
alex_cristocea
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PF
Yours look exactly like mine did. Dont think it is just Europe that has issues. Check the 928 crowd on rennlist. One of the most famous builders there has had no luck with those pistons with multiple failures.

Sorry but I would not use them if I were you.
Unfortunately you were wright. After 300 km started to make some noise. Car is parked sice september next week I will uninstall the engine. It's a clerance issue.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:06 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_cristocea
Unfortunately you were wright. After 300 km started to make some noise. Car is parked sice september next week I will uninstall the engine. It's a clerance issue.
Sorry to hear that! I had a real pain trying to get some back to no avail.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:28 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Anyone familiar with this car, it’s for sale near me and I may go take a look at it today.

Details: Transcript from Facebook post...

For sale 89 Porsche 944 Turbo PowerHaus car custom Speedline wheels have all engine build specs fresh complete engine service done 10/18 t belt ,water pump seals all up to date. Complete stage 2 engine and suspension package upgraded turbo and waste gate all final drive gears upgraded with a taller 5th gear for highway driving. Have all build sheets and all work that has been performed. Car clean and flawless all original paint custom sound system no cracks in dash car has been kept inside always everything is in working order!

...it’s a 3.0 crank indexed and polished block has been line bored and sleeved to 4.0 JE 3.9655 pistons JE wrist pins Carrillo rods ,KEP lightweight aluminum flywheel ,2.7 head ported and polished larger intake valves from Porsche,oringed and receesed to match, Raceware head studs 48 lbs injectors adjustable fuel pressure regulator, intake has been ported and extrude honed, authority mass flo system and software. Billet adjustable wastegate with manual control.

...this car has been done right no corners cut here it’s a nice piece kept inside gearbox has been updated as well final drive is 3.89 this setup shortens 1-4 but keeps 5th gear ratio same as stock.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I can finally be added to the registry after 5 years on this project. Don't have the final dyno tune yet but have 250 miles on the motor so far and she's very happy. This will be my dedicated DE car. Just checked compression and it's 155 in each cylinder hot and dry so break in looks successful.

Some of the goodies:

Bore: 104.8, Darton Dry Sleeves
Stroke: 88mm
Pistons: Custom JE, 8.75:1
Rods: Molnar billet rods, 24mm pin
Head: 89 2.7L 8V with Web Cam 274, hi-rev springs
Turbo: Garrett GTX3582R Gen 2, 0.63AR compressor
Engine Management: Haltech Elite 1500, Clewett Engineering crank/cam sensors

Balance shaft delete
Sequential ignition and injection
Cometic MLS head gasket, Lindsey steam vent kit
"Rod mod" H bearings
Cross-drilled 3.0L stock crank, tear-dropped
Spec mini-twin clutch
Spec light weight flywheel, balanced
Tial 46mm wastegate, 13PSI spring, Tial Q 50mm blow-off valve
70mm 928 S4 throttle body (928 110 530 2R)
Bosch Racing Alternator
Power steering / AC delete
LS1 coil packs, Magnecor 8.5mm custom wires, Bosch WR6DC+ plugs
Lindsey baffled oil pan
ID1050X injectors, Lindsey fuel rail
Front mount intercooler, 2.5" intercooler pipes.
GM FlexFuel Sensor, Haltech Boost Controller
Bosch 044 Pump, Marren fuel pressure damper
Fuel Lab filter, Fuel Lab FPR

Last edited by Player0; 12-01-2019 at 01:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Player0:
ealoken (01-28-2020), Velozipedia (11-11-2021)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

And very seriously, I owe so many of you my thanks. So many people here helped or inspired me on this project along the way. It was a super fun build. It's so cool that there are parts on this from rennlisters from all over the world on this beast.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:56 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

I think you may have a typo there, is it 24mm wrist pin or 22mm wrist pin?

The throttle body looks like a 928 S3, 928 GT has a big aluminum lump with two outlets.

Do those rods have Clevite H bearings originally made for Toyota Supra 2JZ?

What’s your planned rpm redline?

Originally Posted by Player0
I think I can finally be added to the registry after 5 years on this project. Don't have the final dyno tune yet but have 250 miles on the motor so far and she's very happy. This will be my dedicated DE car. Just checked compression and it's 155 in each cylinder hot and dry so break in looks successful.

Some of the goodies:

Bore: 104.8, Darton Dry Sleeves
Stroke: 88mm
Pistons: Custom JE, 8.75:1, 24mm pin
Rods: Molnar billet rods, 22mm pin
Head: 89 2.7L 8V with Web Cam 274, hi-rev springs
Turbo: Garrett GTX3582R Gen 2, 0.63AR compressor
Engine Management: Haltech Elite 1500, Clewett Engineering crank/cam sensors

Balance shaft delete
Sequential ignition and injection
Cometic MLS head gasket, Lindsey steam vent kit
"Rod mod" H bearings
Cross-drilled 3.0L stock crank, tear-dropped
Spec mini-twin clutch
Spec light weight flywheel, balanced
Tial 46mm wastegate, 13PSI spring, Tial Q 50mm blow-off valve
70mm 928GT throttle body
Bosch Racing Alternator
Power steering / AC delete
LS1 coil packs, Magnecor 8.5mm custom wires, Bosch WR6DC+ plugs
Lindsey baffled oil pan
ID1050X injectors, Lindsey fuel rail
Front mount intercooler, 2.5" intercooler pipes.
GM FlexFuel Sensor, Haltech Boost Controller
Bosch 044 Pump, Marren fuel pressure damper
Fuel Lab filter, Fuel Lab FPR

Quick Reply: 3 Liter Turbo Registry