Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno results for Georges car-529WHP @ 23.4 psi

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:11 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 993 TT stopped production in 1998 (sold as S and standard 993TT in 1997) and began the water cooled versions. The last 911 air cooled turbo cars cars were up to track condition builds. Had issues with the new water cooled motors, especially in conditions where they should have fared better.

Considering the history behind the engineering of a motor that began it's life in 1938 has got to have extra ***** by 1996. Best of the breed. Google some monster 993 TT cars. Kick *** motors and awesome rides. We all have our favorite.

Doesn't matter. Love these cars. Just have a keen interest in the battered 951 and it's feeling behind the wheel of a well set up car.

Originally Posted by 944CS
993 is not
Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
Considering the history behind the engineering of a motor that began it's life in 1938 has got to have extra ***** by 1996. Best of the breed. Google some monster 993 TT cars. Kick *** motors and awesome rides. We all have our favorite.
Best of the breed, indeed. No water:

Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 AM
George D
Drifting

Jeff,

I'm not supposed to be up this late, but we have to plan our trip to Greer. I'll send out the offer to Jeff, Jeremy, and some other folks via personal e-mail.

Your car looks awesome.

George
Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM
944CS
Drifting

The 993 TT stopped production in 1998 (sold as S and standard 993TT in 1997) and began the water cooled versions. The last 911 air cooled turbo cars cars were up to track condition builds. Had issues with the new water cooled motors, especially in conditions where they should have fared better.

Doesn't matter. Love these cars. Just have a keen interest in the battered 951 and it's feeling behind the wheel of a well set up car.

Right, I was pointing out that you said air cooled AWD, there is only one generation and that is the 993TT
Old 07-09-2008, 11:46 AM
clangjr
Racer

Originally Posted by jmayzurk
'97 993tt 2WD

Do tell....
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clangjr
Do tell....
I took out the AWD parts to save a little weight, but more importantly, to restore handling to "conventional" 911 behavior.

Because there is no center diff on the 993TT--it uses a viscous coupling instead--there is practically no torque sent to the front wheels during normal driving. But when there is a difference in speed between front and rear diffs (i.e., wheelspin at the rear), the viscous coupling starts sending torque up front.

What this means for the driver is a delay between when oversteer starts and when the front diff starts doing some work. As a result of this there is a "mid-corner wiggle" and correction required because often your line will change when the front diff starts working.

At stock horsepower and torque levels, you barely notice it, and the factory AWD works pretty well to keep you pointed in the right direction. Unfortunately, when you add horsepower to these cars (I have bigger turbos, exhaust, and ECU tuning) the AWD wiggle becomes more pronounced and more distracting. It also results in understeer in tighter corners.

Long story short: I prefer 911 handling without AWD "assistance." I also live in Southern California and NEVER drive the car in the rain. But it's still somewhat controversial. There is a fairly large contingent 993TT owners who have done the same, but the other half of the community thinks the 2WD guys are a bunch of heretics destined to crash into a wall ***-first.

Pics of the parts removed:

and those replacing them:

Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

I'm not supposed to be up this late, but we have to plan our trip to Greer. I'll send out the offer to Jeff, Jeremy, and some other folks via personal e-mail.

Your car looks awesome.

George
Thanks, George. Can't wait to see your car in its finished state--sounds like a real beast!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:23 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took out the AWD parts to save a little weight, but more importantly, to restore handling to "conventional" 911 behavior.

Because there is no center diff on the 993TT--it uses a viscous coupling instead--there is practically no torque sent to the front wheels during normal driving. But when there is a difference in speed between front and rear diffs (i.e., wheelspin at the rear), the viscous coupling starts sending torque up front.

What this means for the driver is a delay between when oversteer starts and when the front diff starts doing some work. As a result of this there is a "mid-corner wiggle" and correction required because often your line will change when the front diff starts working.

At stock horsepower and torque levels, you barely notice it, and the factory AWD works pretty well to keep you pointed in the right direction. Unfortunately, when you add horsepower to these cars (I have bigger turbos, exhaust, and ECU tuning) the AWD wiggle becomes more pronounced and more distracting. It also results in understeer in tighter corners.

Long story short: I prefer 911 handling without AWD "assistance." I also live in Southern California and NEVER drive the car in the rain. But it's still somewhat controversial. There is a fairly large contingent 993TT owners who have done the same, but the other half of the community thinks the 2WD guys are a bunch of heretics destined to crash into a wall ***-first.

outstanding.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM
TurboTim
Banned

You are nutty
Old 07-10-2008, 02:59 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Can't wait to get this car to the track. I'm going to Tucson Int. Dragway in a few weeks for their test and tune. My local tuner will help me get the TEC GT and boost controller dialed in. You simply can't do this on any street with a steady heart beat. I'll post the 1/4 times. I don't clutch dump, but we'll get a good idea of how the car is performing from the trap speeds.
Regards,
George
Have you had a chance to go yet?
Curious for some real driving action around here.
My favorite 951 show Has apparently been canceled... Tool.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95ONE
yeah I guess he has finally had enough.

May I just be happy with the power I make.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:29 PM
HD911
Racer

I know. I was talking about the 1996-1997 last air cooled 911 TT's. Great cars. Takes punishment, unlike the newer versions.
The motor in a 996 Turbo can take alot of punishment as it has a 993 crankcase and water cooled heads, it is basically the same motor Porsche ran in Lemans and has seen over 1000 bhp.

Don't confuse the motor of a 996 Turbo with a 996 N/A.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
George D
Drifting

The next test and tune here at Tucson International Dragway is this Friday, and I'll be in Phoenix with clients that evening. Next one is in August on a Wednesday evening. I'll probably get to that one or head out to Firebird in Phoenix. I still have to calibrate my Innovate AF guage. It reads richer than actual tail pipe readings. I want to match the 02 to the tail pipe readings. From there, there is some fine tuning to do with the TEC GT.

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Old 07-11-2008, 12:51 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by TurboTim
You are nutty
Jeff may be nutty, but the 1997 S model was RWD with only a few more HP and TQ. Must be a reason that the best factory car deleted the AWD.

RWD cars with good suspension on tar roads sans water and snow don't need AWD if you are using the car as designed. That up front pull when you are just getting the tail out in a corner would be surprising to even the best drivers with knowledge driving these cars.

Who really cares. We are car guys and like what we like. We'll switch cars for a drive after he sees my *** on the way to Greer this fall. LOL
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Jeff may be nutty, but the 1997 S model was RWD with only a few more HP and TQ. Must be a reason that the best factory car deleted the AWD.
Actually the 97-98 "Turbo S" was AWD just like the regular turbos. The only mechanical differences (at least for US models) were a different ECU for slightly more boost and an additional oil cooler. The rest of the changes were cosmetic/luxury (leather-covered switchgear, carbon fiber, etc.).

The 993GT2 (both racing and street versions, the latter never being sold in the US) were RWD only.

Quick Reply: Dyno results for Georges car-529WHP @ 23.4 psi