Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno results for Georges car-529WHP @ 23.4 psi

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
It will be on its way in a day or so.Just got some of that big pipe coming in after a back order.
Thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey George,

We may have miscommunicated. I was thinking about the parts that you would be replacing rather than your new set up.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Hi guys,

I just got back from a 500 mile drive in the car with the wife. I thought that the turbo was still too big, but I'm wrong. This car once at speed is amazing. Got my wife to count when passing from 60mph and stop when it hit 100 in third. Hardly ever got to four seconds. This turbo at speed on a long stretch is simply amazing. We have some back roads here in Arizona a few miles from my property www.antlerridge.com (free advertising) where you can see the same road for about five miles. I know many of the local Highway Patrol guys in this area, and they are car guys. They know me and know that this happens only in the early AM, and when nothing is seen on the horizon. This is in the middle of nowhere, and I'm very **** about my tires, suspension, and ability of my cars.

I have to update my Koni Sport suspension. This new power is over taxing a very good setup. Full 968 Club Sport sways, large rear T bar, strut brace, and the sports up to their max doesn't take this power with authority.

Suspension is next, along with some additional tuning for the high country. In the early AM, I had boost cut at WOT for no apparent reason. When I got down in elevation, it stopped. Tim, any thoughts? I'll call you tomorrow.

I had a guy that races on the oval's in the passenger with me this morning. He was smitten to say the least. He's a V8 oval guy, and couldn't believe the endless power of my 4 banger.

George
Ha, I would have loved to see that V8 guys face when you gave him a taste of your vehicle's new powers George. Good for you. As for suspension and what you're going to use the car for, I'd seriously consider the KWs amongst your choices.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanna see some video of you embarrassing a Murcialago or C6 ZO6
Old 07-16-2008, 01:49 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE=George D;5609667]Hi guys,

I just got back from a 500 mile drive in the car with the wife. I thought that the turbo was still too big, but I'm wrong. This car once at speed is amazing. Got my wife to count when passing from 60mph and stop when it hit 100 in third. Hardly ever got to four seconds. This turbo at speed on a long stretch is simply amazing. We have some back roads here in Arizona a few miles from my property www.antlerridge.com (free advertising) where you can see the same road for about five miles. I know many of the local Highway Patrol guys in this area, and they are car guys. They know me and know that this happens only in the early AM, and when nothing is seen on the horizon. This is in the middle of nowhere, and I'm very **** about my tires, suspension, and ability of my cars.

I have to update my Koni Sport suspension. This new power is over taxing a very good setup. Full 968 Club Sport sways, large rear T bar, strut brace, and the sports up to their max doesn't take this power with authority.

Suspension is next, along with some additional tuning for the high country. In the early AM, I had boost cut at WOT for no apparent reason. When I got down in elevation, it stopped. Tim, any thoughts? I'll call you tomorrow.

Yes.You will need to pull some fuel out of the map to compensate for less desity.I am assuming the car is running alot richer at higher elevation so you are going to have to compensate.Unfortunately,this EMS system does not have the advanced baraometric compensation of a newer style factory car.Datalog the run next time on your laptop and send me the file and I can make some small adjustments for you.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Diver944
Pro

It's all sounding fantastic George, Tim has obviously done a great job putting everything together

Remind me again exactly what clutch you are using to contain all that power, and how does it compare to a factory clutch. My own car now makes so much torque that it overpowers the cup clutch when it hits peak torque between 3 and 4000 rpm so I'll be needing to change it at some point. It's very important to me to have a clutch with a nice pedal and is not just on and off like a full race clutch
Old 07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
mikeroz
Advanced

Sorry to go off topic, but have you got your car back now Paul?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
George D
Drifting

It's a clutchmasters setup made to spec for Garrity at Motorsports, Inc for our cars. We use a lightened factory flywheel. The clutch is breaking in very well and holds. If you aren't careful at takeoff, you can get some chatter, but not really an issue.

George

Originally Posted by Diver944
It's all sounding fantastic George, Tim has obviously done a great job putting everything together

Remind me again exactly what clutch you are using to contain all that power, and how does it compare to a factory clutch. My own car now makes so much torque that it overpowers the cup clutch when it hits peak torque between 3 and 4000 rpm so I'll be needing to change it at some point. It's very important to me to have a clutch with a nice pedal and is not just on and off like a full race clutch
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by George D
Hi guys,

.............When I got down in elevation, it stopped. Tim, any thoughts? I'll call you tomorrow. ................

George
George, what gear were you in when you hit boost cut? Where is your boost limiter set? Unless you have that set low for safety it wouldn't cut fuel unless you exceed the boost limit. Don't recall what boost control you are using, but the TEC limiter does work very well so you don't have to worry about a hose slipping off the waste gate.

If it was in first or second gear you may be getting into the rev limit prior to the tach getting to and catching up with the engine rpm.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:03 PM
TurboTim
Banned

There is a boost limiter on the Profec-b Spec II but no limiter on the tEC.I didnt set that sine the boost is being controlled via the electronic unit.George and I discussed the problem earlier and it is definitely running rich at high altitude so we are going to do a high altitude map for fueling to keep the mixtures in check.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TurboTim
There is a boost limiter on the Profec-b Spec II but no limiter on the tEC.I didnt set that sine the boost is being controlled via the electronic unit.George and I discussed the problem earlier and it is definitely running rich at high altitude so we are going to do a high altitude map for fueling to keep the mixtures in check.
So the cut out or misfire was just overly rich? I have found that the TEC likes spark plugs gapped quite a bit tighter than other systems and with George's high specific HP per cylinder too rich may just cause a misfire. I don't have any problems firing at 10:0 to 1or richer, so I wonder how rich was it going? What were the plugs gapped at?

Also meant to ask at what altitude this happened. Might need to know in case I get up into the mountains.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by dand86951
So the cut out or misfire was just overly rich? I have found that the TEC likes spark plugs gapped quite a bit tighter than other systems and with George's high specific HP per cylinder too rich may just cause a misfire. I don't have any problems firing at 10:0 to 1or richer, so I wonder how rich was it going? What were the plugs gapped at?

Also meant to ask at what altitude this happened. Might need to know in case I get up into the mountains.

We run the plug gaps at .024 or .023. I dont know how rich he was running but if you get to rich,the car will hesitate,stumble and then can surge with power.I beleive the elevation where this was happeing is 8900 ft aboveseal level.So it is quite high and I could easily see the mixtures changing by over a full point or more at this altitude.

Tim
Old 07-17-2008, 02:29 PM
George D
Drifting

I could hit boost cut in 2nd through 5th when going WOT. This was at 16psi and 8500'. Tim thinks that it's just going too rich at altitude. I didn't have my laptop to do any datalogging, but I will have it next trip. Actually, it seems like I should have it in my car evert trip. It was frustrating to not have it, as I couldn't do any diagnostic work. My boost limiter is set at 18psi on the low setting and 20psi on the high setting with the boost controller. I was not hitting 7K on the rev limiter, no even close. I usually shift by 6500rpm when getting on it. I've only hit the rev limiter once in 2nd, and it wasn't on this trip.

George

George, what gear were you in when you hit boost cut? Where is your boost limiter set? Unless you have that set low for safety it wouldn't cut fuel unless you exceed the boost limit. Don't recall what boost control you are using, but the TEC limiter does work very well so you don't have to worry about a hose slipping off the waste gate.

If it was in first or second gear you may be getting into the rev limit prior to the tach getting to and catching up with the engine rpm.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:09 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info I was thinking that as quick as your car is it could easily blast through the rev limiter in first or second if you happen to be concentrating on something outside the car. I keep my rev limit set at 6600 and have bumped into it especially in first.

8500ft is getting up there. Have you tried just gapping the plugs down to say .020" ? I had a weak coil and it only caused a problem at full throttle and it felt exactly like a rich misfire. I went from .025 down to .020 and it worked until I got the coil replaced. I know your coils are new but just a bit closer gap may get that rich mixture fired when you are up in high density altitude. I've only been up around 6000ft in mine so no direct comparison there.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM
George D
Drifting

The car completely stopped boosting. Like hitting a rev limiter. You could get back on it with lighter pedal pressure and things would be fine. Sometimes you could go WOT with no issues. It was an occasional issue, but an issue that needs to be addressed. Could a misfire in one cylinder cause a complete boost shutdown......Don't think so, but I'm always interested in opinions.

George

Thanks for the info I was thinking that as quick as your car is it could easily blast through the rev limiter in first or second if you happen to be concentrating on something outside the car. I keep my rev limit set at 6600 and have bumped into it especially in first.

8500ft is getting up there. Have you tried just gapping the plugs down to say .020" ? I had a weak coil and it only caused a problem at full throttle and it felt exactly like a rich misfire. I went from .025 down to .020 and it worked until I got the coil replaced. I know your coils are new but just a bit closer gap may get that rich mixture fired when you are up in high density altitude. I've only been up around 6000ft in mine so no direct comparison there.

Quick Reply: Dyno results for Georges car-529WHP @ 23.4 psi