Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ok Racers, I've read about a thousand threads concerning

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008 | 03:19 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok Racers, I've read about a thousand threads concerning

the merits of the 951 but as a longtime owner and admirer of the car I really don't understand the whole gt1, gt2, gt3 class and I really don't need an explanation but
how does the car fare against the 911 and ricers on the track?..have you raced supras? is there a site showing races and results that show specifically the 951? modded and stock?
Old 04-11-2008 | 03:42 PM
Stuttgart996
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

your gonna get killed for this
Old 04-11-2008 | 03:52 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:04 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't think so, seems that most here are fairly level headed

Originally Posted by gina.kane
and reasonable in their explanations...and lart is at work..i think!?
Old 04-11-2008 | 04:18 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

being that a supra is more of a touring car its heavy and not tracked nearly as often. I owned a turbo supra and i loved it but track car it wasnt. Now dont get me wrong, stripped out, modded it would be bad ***. Vs 911's i would have to say depends on the car- stock vs stock i would say the 944t would win- most 911's you see on the track are modded pretty well. My friend w/ an SC just dropped a 3.6 in his 911 "because i'm tired of getting passed by 944 turbos" if that tells you anything. Just after that i swapped turbos so im guessing i'd be passing him again. Get into the newer 911's and its a whole other game- several gt3's are pretty bad *** that ive seen on the track and i would hate to tangle w/ them.
Old 04-11-2008 | 04:34 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The inherent problem with comparing various cars as race cars is that every racing body has a set of rules and classes which a car must comply with. The fine details of these rules & classes determine what car is best for a given class (i.e. who wins the class, you don't have to be the fastest, just the fastest in the class). If you start comparing across classes, you quickly run into issues with what is allowed in what classes. Even on 'stock' class to another 'stock' class can be difficult as different classes have different definitions of 'stock'. A change in tires can make a world of difference, and various stock classes allow different tire/wheel changes.

Once you get outside of 'stock' classes, you can just throw everything out. What 'modified' cars are better is simply based on which car is given the most benefit by the rules and the owners budget.

The course in question also makes a large difference. A 951 may be considerably quicker on a course with long straights than a Miata (given same 'prep' level, tires and driver), but on a tight autocross course, the Miata has the upper hand.

Then of course there's the driver consideration. A good driver in a bad car is much quicker than a bad driver in a quick car (to some extent). There are no 'equal' drivers in the real world.

Also factor in conditions. Temperature makes a big difference, and rain even more so. Both of these things don't even cause even impacts on everyone... an STI is not affected nearly as much by rain as a 951.

All of this makes apples to apples considerations impossible. I've beaten 911 GT3's at the track in a 944 N/A, but also had a base-model Mini Cooper beat me in the STI. Both of which, on paper, should be 'impossible'.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Then of course there's the driver consideration. A good driver in a bad car is much quicker than a bad driver in a quick car (to some extent). There are no 'equal' drivers in the real world.
Amen brother! This (coupled with some other factors such as new tires, new car, new track, and a 1500 mile drive home) is one of the reasons that at Nelson Ledges for 944Fest I was getting my *** handed to me by some N/A's.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:42 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Amen brother! This (coupled with some other factors such as new tires, new car, new track, and a 1500 mile drive home) is one of the reasons that at Nelson Ledges for 944Fest I was getting my *** handed to me by some N/A's.
I seem to remember something about that

Quick Reply: Ok Racers, I've read about a thousand threads concerning