Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

fire sleeve for fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fire sleeve for fuel lines

when i saw how close the oil fire came to melting my fuel lines, i've been worrying about a possible fuel fire in case of another oil fire, or other circumstances.

i've since replaced the fuel lines with stainless, but stainless won't protect your lines against an oil fire as the hose inside will just melt.

thus, i've decided to install fire sleeves over all of the fuel lines. in searching for the best possible fire sleeve, i found insulflex. the problem? minimum purchase is 50 feet !

since we only need about 3 feet, i was wondering if others on here may be interested in splitting this with me. the cost would come up to around $8/foot which is far less than you would pay for lower-grade fire sleeves.

they are only available in red, which i think is appropriate anyway.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 PM
davepnola
Racer

I do not understand why we just do not reroute the fuel lines on our cars. Is this a heat shrink type of application(looking at the pics of the fuel line). Aslo would this be a benifit of covering the original fuel lines ?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
nize
Banned

even if you re-route the fuel lines, they would still have to be inside the engine bay to get to the fuel rail, so they're still in danger in case of a fire.

these are not heat-shrink, they are simply sleeves that are flexible to provide a snug fit.

there would be a benefit of covering the original fuel lines as well, to make them fire proof. these sleeves are good for up to 3000 (three thousand!) degrees fahrenheit.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:23 PM
ENGINEERMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What if I already have installed Stainless?

Hi:

Do you see any benefit if I already have redone all of my fuel lines in AN Style Goodridge Stainless Steel braided? Your thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I might be interested in jumping in, but that looks more like orange than red....
Old 09-06-2007, 07:49 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Look for a local hose supply shop that sells Aeroquip lines and fittings. You may be able to get their firesleeve by the foot without having to buy the entire production run.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ENGINEERMAN
Hi:

Do you see any benefit if I already have redone all of my fuel lines in AN Style Goodridge Stainless Steel braided? Your thoughts?

I measured the temp on the braided lines and the temperature went up from the stock lines. I added some Thermo sleeve and the temperature when way down. Summit racing sells Thero Sleeve and it looks a lot like the insulflex on the inside and you can buy it in short lengths.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...4923429+301924

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beab951
I measured the temp on the braided lines and the temperature went up from the stock lines. I added some Thermo sleeve and the temperature when way down.
Hey Brian, I am just curious here. What was your base temps before and after? I am interested to know what the braided lines generated temp wise, and if it was taken at idle, after a hard run, etc? What was you criteria for measuring. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

nize,

Count me good for 5 feet.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

That was a couple of years ago so exact number are not floating around anymore. I took the car out for a hard 20 minute run, and then measured the temp on the fuel lines directly above the headers. I replaced the lines with braided line and did the same run, the temperature went up compared to the stock lines. I was surprised at the time but now looking back on it, makes sense. Metal is a very good conductor of heat, you want an insulator on the fuel lines. I then covered the lines with the thermo sleeve, ran the car and measured the temperature inside of the sleeve. The temperature was much lower then on the outside of the stock lines. I guess that is why Porsche put a thick rubber cover on the stock fuel lines.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i have sleeves over my stainless steel lines to prevent abrasion if they rub against each other.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, thanks for the info. That is very interesting indeed. If you have some pics of them, can you please post them? And shaheed, if you have some pics too, do you mind letting us see them?

Thanks.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here you go.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the same thermo sleeving we used on the DP and Cup car. What's nice about it is you can cut it and wrap it around your ball joints if you want, safety wire it (sew) it back together, and it prevents a lot of heat from traveling through the rubber boots on the joints causing them to get brittle and crack. We used this thermal sleave on a lot of stuff.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

That is the same type of sleeve I use to cover the fuel line on my race car that goes above the header. The first comment I got from John Millage when I took the hood off my car was very good and pointed to the covered fuel line. The more you can keep heatsoak down on things that don't benifit from heat the better. That is why I am starting to do temp test on my engine components and figure out ways to bring the temp down on those parts.

Quick Reply: fire sleeve for fuel lines