fire sleeve for fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:05 AM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ENGINEERMAN
Hi:

Do you see any benefit if I already have redone all of my fuel lines in AN Style Goodridge Stainless Steel braided? Your thoughts?
i also have replaced all of my fuel lines with steel braided hose. steel braids will not protect the hose inside from a fire, as the hose will just melt, leaking fuel everywhere.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 AM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by beab951
I measured the temp on the braided lines and the temperature went up from the stock lines. I added some Thermo sleeve and the temperature when way down. Summit racing sells Thero Sleeve and it looks a lot like the insulflex on the inside and you can buy it in short lengths.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...4923429+301924
there is a difference between thermo-sleeve (which provides heat protection) and fire sleeve (which provides heat AND fire protection).

the sleeve i'm interested in is fire sleeve.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:25 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Virtually all hose sleeves are at least fire proof.

I have the Thermotec 200F hose sleeves (like the ones brian posted), they are fire proof.

problem is not really the fire, but the intense heat since the fuel lines are directly over the headers. If you notice, the factory installed bulky sleeves over the existing fuel lines, from rubber, to absorb the majority of the heat.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:39 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am sure the insulflex is great stuff, and I hope you get a lot of people to help you purchase a roll.

I just have experience with Thero Sleeve. Radiated heat from the headers was a major concern, that is why I used the reflective thermo-sleeve and it is fireproof. I did have an occasion to test this. I had a cap blow off of the emission line and which poured the exhaust gas toward the gas lines and into the hood insulation. It melted a big hole in the insulation on the hood and blackened the thermo-sleeve lines. I was thankfull the hood insulation was fire resistant, it didn't burn, just melted away and made smoke. I was running on the track at the time so the exhaust pressure was quite high. All I had to do was wipe off the sleeve, then scrape off what remained of the hood insulation, crimp off the line and went back out. The picture is this sleeve after two years and the exhaust test.

From the site:
Thermo-Sleeve's ultra light-weight construction provides more insulating than traditional bulky rubber-coated fiberglass. The aluminized sleeving reflects over 90% of radiant heat, and is fireproof and oil resistant.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 09-07-2007 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:17 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian thanks for the pic. And Craig, that was nice to hear JME say that about your set-up as well.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:15 PM
nize
Banned

does anybody have a preference between the sleeve or the tape? they both protect equally, and the tape supposedly only sticks to itself and forms a permanent seal.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my summer project... I used the same sleve, maybe a bigger diameter so I could get both lines together. I thought it was pretty good stuff but wanted insulation (even more than I wanted flame protection), so I stuffed some fiberglass insulation in around the lines and zip tied the ends. ...Bruce
Next up, dampner/jumper line delete...;]
PS... I set out with the idea of selling these or something like them but legal risks are just too high, so I'm thinking I'l just post a DIY recipe.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:40 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Here's mine:

..and yes, it is really more orange than red...

Keith
Old 09-08-2007, 01:05 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i'd post a picture but it's basically the same as beab951's pic...

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Brian, thanks for the info. That is very interesting indeed. If you have some pics of them, can you please post them? And shaheed, if you have some pics too, do you mind letting us see them?

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:39 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the pics guys, that helps me to see what it looks like. And shaheed, why don't you just post some pics, so we can admire your engine bay too.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

My car works for a living.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by beab951
My car works for a living.
That's funny. And mine is going in a glass box for a living too!
Old 09-09-2007, 02:18 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is the interesting thing about owning a Pcar. You can have everything from Daily Driver, Contours, DE, to a Race car.
I am sure you will let the legs out on your monster. I hope to hear and learn more from your journey.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

I might be interested in a few feet for my ride, however, I am not too comfortable with plastic zip ties I think they might melt or burn off and then the protective sleeve would unwrap.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 AM
nize
Banned

ideally, you would tape the ends using fireproof silicone tape, but this would drive the cost up since we all only need about two feet of the tape and i doubt we could find 25 people who want in on it.

i did manage to find a local source, thanks to a rennlister. i'll see if i can source it from them and make it available for other members.

here's the silicone tape, it's good stuff, sticks to itself and forms a permanent bond;

Quick Reply: fire sleeve for fuel lines