Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vitesse MAF kit

How much horsepower will a MAF kit give you on an 88 Turbo S? Reno
Old 06-29-2007, 03:12 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very little unless you add boost. Plenty of other advantages though.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:18 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice smooth idle?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:11 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Reno,
The MAF will free up the intake, and provides accurate air measurement which is a must for fuel and ignition calculation. You get faster spoolup equating to a larger area under the curve. The correct AFR and proper ignition will reliably increase the performance across.
With our MAF kit, you get TRUE MAF software, dual maps (pump gas, race gas), dual Rev limits. Our software being TRUE MAF code, allows you to alter the boost yet keeping correct AFR. Elevation and temp changes are not an issue. You get a choice of injector sizes up to 85#, with factory like idle and crisp response.
As far as HP gain, correct AFR and IGN timing will increase your performance, even at factory boost level. However, more boost equates to more power (to a certain limit of course).

The difference between a K26 with a performance chip and the same car (same boost) and a MAF, your peak numbers will increase a bit, however the area under the curve is larger, a quicker spoolup and crisp response will be gained as well.

Of course, once you decide to upgrade the turbo, the MAF will be reused. So you will never outgrow it (assuming you chose large injectors from the beginning).

We have 100s of customers loving the products, some of them are on this list. I'm sure they will share their findings.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 600 rw 951 uses only Vitesse MAF.
This is the ONLY one I ever bought from him - this is to illustrate the growth capacity.

Also - the tuning resolution between afm and maf is HUUGE - THE MAF IS MUCH BETTER!
This is the tuning experience of many 951's talking (afm AND maf)
When you try to tune an afm car, you end up chasing bad results/afrs....take it from me.

Also - once again for those stuck in the last millenium
I go from 14 psi to 25 psi TOUCHING ONLY THE BOOST CONTROLLER - AFR'S REMAIN PERFECT/STEADFAST.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently installed a Vitesse MAF along with #72 injectors in my 88 Turbo S. Having just spent a weekend at Watkins Glen I can attest that the car spools up MUCH quicker and is overall much more responsive.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

The overall drivability of the car improves significantly with the Vitesse MAF. As far as power goes, without turning up the boost or going to a larger turbo the HP gains will be limited. I've had mine for about 4 years now and I love it.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

I think the MAF kit is a waste of money up to 280 HP, the barn door system works the same. Upgraded turbo and 300 HP plus then the MAF pays off. I noticed no differance with the K-26 when I go to the Powerhaus K-27#8 I think the MAF will start to pay off. Most of my engine builder friends dont buy MAFS until the 300 HP mark is approached through larger turbos/boost.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:46 PM
sawood12
Racer

Why should your bhp matter at all when it comes to MAF's? The MAF will not only improve your driveability over the AFM but will allow your turbo to breath better at higher RPM due to the removal of the barn-door restriction meaning that the K26/6 turbo especially will work much better at higher rpm's where the AFM starts to throttle the airflow and the boost pressure bleeds off. The MAF might not be a device to actually increase power but it is a device that will allow your engine to work to it's max potential with what you've currently got. In my view it should be the first mod to carry out before you start installing larger turbo's - get your fuelling correct as a first step then start increasing the turbo size.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:54 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rogue
Old 06-29-2007, 07:10 PM
nize
Banned

map.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Loquat15
Racer

Want less restriction?

Take out the air filter!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
I think the MAF kit is a waste of money up to 280 HP, the barn door system works the same. Upgraded turbo and 300 HP plus then the MAF pays off. I noticed no differance with the K-26 when I go to the Powerhaus K-27#8 I think the MAF will start to pay off. Most of my engine builder friends dont buy MAFS until the 300 HP mark is approached through larger turbos/boost.
“You think”, but have no real world experience. Saying an AFM & MAF work the same or offer the same results in simply foolish especially when you consider factors such as drivability, spool, and efficiency. Maybe you shouldn't listen to or regurgitate what your "engine builder" friends tell you. Unless you have some real world 951 experience that applies.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:46 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Loquat15
Want less restriction?

Take out the air filter!
i've actually run back-to-back dyno tests on the same car with the stock filter, without the stock filter, and with a k&n filter.

k&n made about 2whp over the stock filter.
stock filter made about 3whp over no filter.
no filter loses.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
My 600 rw 951 uses only Vitesse MAF.
This is the ONLY one I ever bought from him - this is to illustrate the growth capacity.

Also - the tuning resolution between afm and maf is HUUGE - THE MAF IS MUCH BETTER!
This is the tuning experience of many 951's talking (afm AND maf)
When you try to tune an afm car, you end up chasing bad results/afrs....take it from me.

Also - once again for those stuck in the last millenium
I go from 14 psi to 25 psi TOUCHING ONLY THE BOOST CONTROLLER - AFR'S REMAIN PERFECT/STEADFAST.

What kind of racing experience do you have?

And does lunch at Tony's include meatball subs?

Quick Reply: Vitesse MAF kit