Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse MAF kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Profec manual doesn't give a good explanation of the gain control, it basically says turn it up until boost is steady, but not so high that it fluctuates. I'm really just concerned about whether or not my WG is staying closed at higher RPM's. Nize, what kind of EBC are you running that controls the dual solenoids?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob
Rogue, I'm guessing your datalog is from a MAP sensor (absolute?) if so at your altitude you probably have to build a couple lbs of boost just to get up to sea level atmospheric pressure. What pressure does your datalog/sensor show powered up with the engine off?
Yes my datalog is from a 3Bar MAP. I am about 3psi less air pressure then sea-level, however the datalog shows what my boost gauge shows.

I will try it in Dual-Port mode, and see if there is any difference...

To the original poster, sorry to step on your thread. I totally believe about anything is better then the factory VAF.

Rogue
Old 07-03-2007, 06:14 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
The Profec manual doesn't give a good explanation of the gain control, it basically says turn it up until boost is steady, but not so high that it fluctuates. I'm really just concerned about whether or not my WG is staying closed at higher RPM's. Nize, what kind of EBC are you running that controls the dual solenoids?
it's not a standalone boost controller, it's an entire standalone engine management system, the wolf3d;
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/332231-standalone-ems.html
Old 07-03-2007, 06:19 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Jake951
Is there anybody who has gotten a K26/8 to hold full boost to redline using the WG in single-port mode?
if you read my previous post explaining the difference between dual/single port, you should realize it's not really possible, regardless of what type of turbo you are using you will always bleed boost at higher rpm's with single port wg control.

the reason is simple; backpressure is not the same at different rpm's even if boost remains the same.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:59 AM
reno928s
Pro

Rogue_Ant, it's ok, It doesn't bother me. The more things we cover the better. Thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 07:37 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by reno928s
Rogue_Ant, it's ok, It doesn't bother me. The more things we cover the better. Thanks
+1

good tech is always a rminder of what this board is here to accomplish for everyone.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 AM
bostonaudi
Rennlist Member

If anyone is looking for a like new Vitesse MAF kit, I have one for sale. I also have a set of Siemens 55 injectors, and the SMT6 piggyback controller for sale.

However, if one of you out there wants to purchase the whole enchilada I am willing to make a package deal for the MAF, injectors and piggyback.

Email me at bostonaudi@comcast.net if interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330143819326
Old 07-04-2007, 12:11 PM
nize
Banned

why are you selling?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:51 PM
bostonaudi
Rennlist Member

Basically putting car back to stock.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bostonaudi
Basically putting car back to stock.
Why?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:41 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

For those of you who are horny about keeping high boost 'till redline, I wouldn't get too excited.
Basically the K26/8 CANNOT support 18-19 psi up to redline. Sure, you can "artificially" keep the wastegate closed with an EBC, but it doesn't mean your engine is making any more power. The excess heat generated, and excess increase in back pressure will nullify what your higher boost was suppose to achieve. It just looks good on your boost gauge.

To answer the original question:
If you do nothing else but change your AFM to a MAF, then it's not worth it, for the money.
(There is a slight increase because your stock turbo will be able to "grab" its air better)
But, really, I don't know anyone who would just leave it at that (install the MAF and call it a day).
Basically, you buy a MAF to allow yourself to utilize other power producing mods.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:47 AM
sawood12
Racer

TurboTommy - whilst I agree with 99.9% of what you say there are plenty of people with S2's and 968's that upgrade to MAF's and are delighted with the results. Ultimately it boils down to what you want to achive and if it's to maximise BHP than the MAF is not going to give you that, however there are other aspects to enging tuning than just power and torque and a MAF will go a long way to giving you all those other things. Yes it's relatively expensive mod considering it is not going to give you night and day difference but it's the combination of those little improvements. Technically MAFs are far far superior to the stone-age AFM and everyone should have one, but unfortunately there is a cost element to consider!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bostonaudi, you've got email.... from my girlfriend's email account.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
For those of you who are horny about keeping high boost 'till redline, I wouldn't get too excited.
Basically the K26/8 CANNOT support 18-19 psi up to redline. Sure, you can "artificially" keep the wastegate closed with an EBC, but it doesn't mean your engine is making any more power. The excess heat generated, and excess increase in back pressure will nullify what your higher boost was suppose to achieve. It just looks good on your boost gauge.
That's what I wanted to hear, like a cold shower.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by sawood12
TurboTommy - whilst I agree with 99.9% of what you say there are plenty of people with S2's and 968's that upgrade to MAF's and are delighted with the results. Ultimately it boils down to what you want to achive and if it's to maximise BHP than the MAF is not going to give you that, however there are other aspects to enging tuning than just power and torque and a MAF will go a long way to giving you all those other things. Yes it's relatively expensive mod considering it is not going to give you night and day difference but it's the combination of those little improvements. Technically MAFs are far far superior to the stone-age AFM and everyone should have one, but unfortunately there is a cost element to consider!
Huh? There might be a handful of S2's with MAF conversions but the 968 already has a MAF from the factory. How many S2 owners have upgraded and are satisfied?

Yes the MAF is a better way to measure air but using a MAF and some simple adjustments to sort-of get the DME a correct signal, I'm not so sure about. From what I read it is pretty important to have a wideband and in-cab adjustability for extremes of weather with a MAF. And by extremes I mean a particularly hot, humid June/July like we are having in CO right now.

-Joel.

Quick Reply: Vitesse MAF kit