Coil on Plug Instalation

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
F4i COPs don't have built in ignitors (AKA "dumb coils"). The LS2 CNPs I'll use on my car do (AKA "smart coils"). However, you can build your own ignitor circuit for about $6/coil.

Keep in mind that COPs are only as good as their controlling hardware. The MS I'll use can send an individual signal to each of the 4 coils (or up to 6), but its going to be the same signal repeated to each one. So it may be sequential, but its not capable (yet) of individual cylinder trim. If you ask me, individual cylinder trim on timing is rarely necessary. The advantages of sequential verses waste spark ignition are also negligible on our low rpm (<10k) application. A wise man would just tune a waste spark system correctly on a dyno and be done with it.

Sequential fueling, on the other hand, can be very helpful in trimming individual cylinders to the correct conditions. Air flow patterns and fuel requirements vary much more than ideal timing values. Its only necessary for people looking for that last percent or two, or for people that want to run things as close to the edge as possible.

I'm going to run COP/CNPs primarily because they clean things up underhood, and have a marginally hotter potential spark. I prefer not having long plug wires draped all over the engine bay or an ugly distributor at the end of the cam. But I'm not expecting my system's results to be wildly different from what I'd get developing a standard cap/rotor based system.

Sequential Ign on a 944 is just as important as doing seq fuel, more important when using low octane fuels...

COP will work on any engine Most pro based systems will allow you to use any ignition coil and type . The vibration that effect COP are COP's with built in ignitors....
Old 09-16-2007, 01:42 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanG
Scott, your first question is why I didn't want to use the F4i COPs after test fitting. They secure to the plug only at the threaded portion on the top, and a little bit of insulating boot around the side. Finding plugs with threads on the top (you can thread on a standard bulb to connect to a regular spark plug wire) isn't an issue in my book, as the NGK-R copper plugs I prefer to use are available like this.
Thanks again DanG, Laust and A.Wayne for your help.

So Dan, are you saying the the F4i COPs actually screw onto the plug rather than just pushing on as in the case of spark plug leads?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:09 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

No, there's a spring clip that makes the hole in the COP D shaped that clamps on the threads of the plug. It ruins the threads after the first time or two on and off.

They work great in the DOHC heads they're designed for, but this thread clamp method isn't sufficient for use on our cars. You'd have to make a separate sleeve type upper mounting provision to hold the bulk of the mass in place. And they stick up past the manifold a bit, possibly hood clearance issues.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:28 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Thanks again. I managed to get a set with harness off a 2004 with only 900 miles for $60, so I'll have a play. If it doesn't work out, I'm not out of pocket much.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 PM
sawood12
Racer

Rick Cannell in the UK has COP successfully running on his 951. He is using the Wolf 3D EMS to control it. YOu can find pics of it on his website: http://www.cannell.co.uk/

Fen also had it running on his Autronic EMS.

Not sure if it is a mod to get significantly more power but apparently it does make the engine run better. He's running 400bhp and returning decent fuel economy (I know it is not a big issue for you guys in the states). Can't tell you much more about it unfortunately.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:13 PM
sawood12
Racer

ANother link to take you straight to the start of the pics: http://www.cannell.co.uk/944%20Turbo%20-%2069.htm
Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Originally Posted by sawood12
Rick Cannell in the UK has COP successfully running on his 951. He is using the Wolf 3D EMS to control it. YOu can find pics of it on his website: http://www.cannell.co.uk/

Fen also had it running on his Autronic EMS.

Not sure if it is a mod to get significantly more power but apparently it does make the engine run better. He's running 400bhp and returning decent fuel economy (I know it is not a big issue for you guys in the states). Can't tell you much more about it unfortunately.
Thanks for that... especially helpful since i also have the Wolf 3D, only mineis the V500.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I run COP's on my 83' 924 and use el cheapo VAG ones. So far holding fine @0.9 bars and no misfires (I have misfire detection on my ECU).
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Just dragging this one back from the past. Did anyone pursue the C.O.P. setup? If so, how did you mount them? What boost and fuel are you running? Any issues?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not COP but you might want to talk to josh about what he has been playing with. I have seen the difference in spark quality and it is substantial!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:12 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Patrick:

Are you expecting gains over the Subie coilpack that Dave recommends with the Link?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Not COP but you might want to talk to josh about what he has been playing with. I have seen the difference in spark quality and it is substantial!!!
Thanks Sid. I've asked Josh the question in my thread.

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Patrick:

Are you expecting gains over the Subie coilpack that Dave recommends with the Link?
Michelle, for a few reasons I've changed to a Motec unit. I had their Dash/logger, shift lights, and PDM unit so it just made sense to use one of their ECUs. My 3L motor that had the LINK on it is still in the US (apparently in a crate ready to be shipped to me I hope). The motor in my car currently is the stockish 2.5 I've been running for the last couple of years. They will install and tune the 2.5 with the Motec and then when the 3L gets here we will swap it over and tune that.

If you're bored.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ld-thread.html
Old 05-10-2016, 05:37 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Necro'ing this - anyone in 2016 running COPs on an 8V head? Thinking about losing my LS coil-near-plug setup in favor of COP - purely for packaging reasons - when the new motor goes in. Concern is securing them, I was thinking of having a fore/aft brace they would all bolt to, and then attach that brace to the head with something like these. The CNP works great but I'd have to do a different setup anyway to clear the turbo stuff and excess heat - may as well evaluate this option.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Not 8V but have VAG 1.8T COP for my 16V turbo. Ran into a couple of mounting/packaging issues though. First, the COP is about 5mm too short. They physically fit onto the plug but don't have enough clearance to be positioned the same way across all four on the valve cover. 968 valve covers may work better due to the change in profile. Second, the rubber bellows at the top of the COP are too small in diameter to secure the COP into the spark plug cavity. Scavenging the bellows from a set of 16V plug wires and installing on the COPs cured the issue.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

There are three different length VAG COP units! FSI ones are correct for 16v, no issues with being too short.

Quick Reply: Coil on Plug Instalation