Oil, exhaust, and Fiiiiiire - PIC

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from a post on Jim's wifes car from the 930 forum

I want to relate a "finally feel good" story about a 4.5 year odyssey of my friends 930. I have a partner in the track car avatar to the left, this is a story about his wifes car. Forgive me ahead of time if I get some of the 930 nomenclature incorrect.

Start 5 years ago: High school principle has the car, smoking, leaking, bad interior, UGLY wheels. He buys the car for $8000.

He pulls the engine, does a rebuild himself, has the paint buffed, new leather seats, new carpet, new recovered dash and steering wheel. New A/C and then Lindsey wheels. Car runs good, still a bit rich, new turbo and new exhaust.
engine dropped

after

1 year later: Gets the EFI bug. Ok, probably a whole lot of people groaning here but, the car went to....Kaspar. Yes, he knows now...anyway the car was there for almost two years and he finally went and picked up the car 4 months before the shop closed. Very little money changed hands but the car would barely start. As it turns out, lots of things were robbed off his car for other cars and the attempt at EFI was a disaster.

So, the car goes to another wrench who says he can fix it but he has two very pricey restorations taking place and it will be "as he has time to fix it" sort of thing. So you guessed it, another 1.5 years of sitting and sorting and nothing happens. Now mind you, the owner, is a very busy industrial paint contractor, the car is a fourth car in the family so it is not a pressing issue but he's starting to to want the car.

After he and I discuss the car, I ask how many of the original parts he has left, he responds I have all of them. I think of who can help him get this right and I personally only know of one guy (all you probably know many) but I suggest he take it to a guy in Memphis. I put them together, a plan is organized and a date for drop off is agreed upon. I meet him in Little Rock and then assist him in driving over there to drop the car off. The car will NOT run at this point at all. They agree on 3-4 months to come back and pick up the car and yes, the deadline was met.

The engine was dropped and completely gone through and it was supposed to have Carrillo rods - NO it did not have from the FIRST shop to attempt EFI. So, all new bearings, JE pistons, newly rebuilt heads, and the engine is starting a new life. Anyway, after a new Fabspeed intercooler and new heat exchangers, the engine fires on the first try at his shop. However, the car falls on it's face on boost when they drive it. WTF? The problems turned out to be almost all electrical, as previous parts were robbed and other problem parts reinstalled.
Bad CD unit, bad wire harness, new plug wires were installed but #6 was grounding out and the distributor had been modified for EFI so had to find a distributor.
Now, yes now today, Jim, the owner has a 1987 930 that runs like a scalded A$$ ape; starts cold, starts hot, is completely dry and free of oil leaks!!! The shop owner drove the car for a full week to deliver a perfect running 1987 930! He picked up the car today, they drove around Memphis and surrounding area and he is on his way back to Texas tonight with the car.

Thank you Pat Williams of Pat Williams Racing in Memphis for helping my friend Jim out with the car. Great Job!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

A few pics, car is home, he and the wife are enjoying the warmth of a warm Corpus Christi drive and dine tonight. He sent me some video off his iPhone and the car sounds amazing and is just silky smooth at idle. I'll see if I can upload to Utube or Vimeo and post later tonight.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think I need about three days to do a "test" start once I get home on the 7th. Stabbing that by myself was a bit more of a bitch than I remember for past engine...oh well, it's in and all bolted up.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow !!! what a story, I remember some of the early troubles didn't know it went to this extent.

Looks like a stunning car now, I wish them many years of enjoyment
Old 10-30-2013, 05:41 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that is a long story. Very happy you got the result you wanted in the end Jim. It shows that patience and perseverence pays off!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:52 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha nice story
Old 11-02-2013, 01:30 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Beautiful car. It looks like the final result was worth it. I have never understood why it is so hard to find a good, honest shop. Human nature I guess. Kudos to you for helping your friend out.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:37 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

He's a great guy and our partnership in the track car has been flawless since we built it. It will be back on the track in the spring (fingers crossed for a first start and no leaks). So helping him out was no problem and I knew Pat Williams did good work; not cheap but then nothing of quality ever is. The only thing I'm pissed about is that I wasn't home to go with him to get it or to pick it up and bring it back to my garage until Jim was free to fly up and drive it back.
Here is an email I got from Jim today, LOL I think he's enjoying the torque!

I ran almost a whole tank of 93 octane with techron. Really made a difference in start/ stop and idle, it now idles @ 1k. Maybe everything is getting well broke in, the car just runs outstanding...and would give the 2.8L 951 a run for money, it really hauls ***. Sound of the box 6 engine is intoxicating, Fabspeed header and B&B exhaust chilling. Do an oil change this weekend.

Do the a/c Tuesday, new window switches, hood struts, and other "love" items.
Pat said "the more you drive it, the better it will run"...that's my plan. Something about a 930...it's so much fun to drive...pure and raw Porsche 911...damn addictive.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok, it's on the ground (after a LONG time) waiting for TPS and hard pipes in the morning and test start...it turns over smooth by hand and it turned over just a bit with the key - fingers crossed.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great to hear !
Old 02-16-2014, 08:54 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Best of luck. Good to see her back up and running!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

well, we'll find out in about two hours, thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

IT IS ALIVE!!!!!! So far no leaks, great oil pressure, fired up after barely turning over three times; so the new rebuilt DME from ECU Dr did "good". New TPS, it idles perfect!! My wife came down and said "well, if the neighbors aren't up yet, they are now!"
Old 02-17-2014, 12:58 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations! It has been down too long.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got a small leak on the passenger BS cover, well, I think, have to put it back on the jackstands to check but otherwise, good. Transmission, clutch were good - drove it out the drive and back in.

Quick Reply: Oil, exhaust, and Fiiiiiire - PIC