Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

After-Market Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
Porschefile, I thought you dissected a VR Stage 4 and identified it as using a fair amount of GT and Turbonetics (GT "inspired") content?

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...88#post3360488

If that's the case, then arguments between VR and GT products are pretty pointless! Although I'd still be surprised to see data showing a GT30R (dual ball bearing) being less efficient than an equally spec'd VR-built journal bearing unit (stage 2-3 ish?).
Yep, I sure did. Afterwards John indirectly called me a liar by trying to state that no one should believe specs if they don't come from him! lol I even posted pics with digital calipers ON the wheels to prove what size they are. Guess you just can't win with some people.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you honestly think that VR turbos are going to be so amazing as to go against physics thats what we call naive in the rest of the automotive world. I am sure VR makes some fantastic products but people from tons of companies have been looking for a way to improve on the GT series turbo for a long time. Turbonetics has gone on an all out assault to do it and your telling me that John here with his journal bearings magical turbos has done just that? Then for john to sit on here and talk about his turbos proving themselves? John, I had to laugh at your publicity comment because GT turbos are one of the most proven in almost every application. I think the major problem is that most people as you say are looking for a bolt-on solution and I would say thats the case. So keep selling the crap out of your turbos it seems the board enjoys it.

- Thanks for the Humor
Fishey
Old 03-01-2007, 01:12 AM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

On every webboard there is one guy who knows it all, through no experience mind you..but he's read enough on the internet to tell you that you are wrong. He can prove that the car you have been racing for a decade can't possibly run the way it is built. He has built nothing, of course, and knows even less about how the systems in the car work (injectors, wastegate etc) but oh yes, he will argue till you give up. All of his VAST experience will win you over. On this board, his name is Porschephile. Do not sweat that guy..he knows even less than it appears...believe it or not. Ask him what fuel pressure in a 951 does under boost....what happens when you pull the line off the wastegate.....

Like I said, there is one on every board...

Bill
89 951
Old 03-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shaheed
in other words you can't say one is better than the other, like you've been repreatedly trying to say? or does your opinion based on no actual implementation count as hard proof?
Well, the thing is I've used GT series and regular thrust bearing Garrett turbos for awhile on lots of other cars. The VR turbo I dissected was basically off the shelf Garrett stuff mixed and matched so it's not exactly some custom CNC'd wheels or other drastically different stuff that would seriously skew any comparison. It's been my experience with various cars and setups that the GT series is always more responsive and makes more power compared to it's equivalent sized thrust bearing counterpart. That is my ACTUAL personal experience in using dual ball bearing and thrust bearing turbos. Sometimes the boost threshold is very similar, though there is one clear improvement on all of the GT series and that is transient response.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:16 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

you forgot that he will presume that he is representing everyone else with his opinions....

Originally Posted by billindenver
On every webboard there is one guy who knows it all, through no experience mind you..but he's read enough on the internet to tell you that you are wrong. He can prove that the car you have been racing for a decade can't possibly run the way it is built. He has built nothing, of course, and knows even less about how the systems in the car work (injectors, wastegate etc) but oh yes, he will argue till you give up. All of his VAST experience will win you over. On this board, his name is Porschephile. Do not sweat that guy..he knows even less than it appears...believe it or not. Ask him what fuel pressure in a 951 does under boost....what happens when you pull the line off the wastegate.....

Bill
89 951
Old 03-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

you forgot that he will presume that he representing everyone else with his opinions....
You also forgot to bash protomotive..
Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Well, the thing is I've used GT series and regular thrust bearing Garrett turbos for awhile on lots of other cars.
in other words you don't have the 'hard proof' that you are demanding of everyone else, vitesse in particular. an intake/piggyback combo on my lexus yielded 27rwhp, does that mean if i get an intake made by the same company and slap it on my wife's honda it's also going to gain 27rwhp?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:22 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fishey
You also forgot to bash protomotive..
i'd love for you to find one post on this board where i have *ever* mentioned protomotive. but then you don't deal in facts, do you?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

I actually was talking about the fact that you were already bashing him might as well take it as step further..
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billindenver

Bill
89 951
This coming from the guy that says a 4 cylinder can make 500hp with 380cc injectors. Sorry Bill, I had to. Link Post #52. I've modified plenty of turbo cars even though I'm fairly young. I'm not a newbie.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

i don't know if you're implying Porschefile is protomotive, if he is then i was not even aware of that, nor do i care...my point is that i find it more than a little hypocritical for someone to be constantly call for 'hard proof' then constantly presenting his own opinions as fact.

i've never actually ran a brand X (could be GT or anything else), but let me go ahead tell you that it's definitely better than what several other people have run.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, the thing is I've used GT series and regular thrust bearing Garrett turbos for awhile on lots of other cars. The VR turbo I dissected was basically off the shelf Garrett stuff mixed and matched so it's not exactly some custom CNC'd wheels or other drastically different stuff that would seriously skew any comparison. It's been my experience with various cars and setups that the GT series is always more responsive and makes more power compared to it's equivalent sized thrust bearing counterpart. That is my ACTUAL personal experience in using dual ball bearing and thrust bearing turbos. Sometimes the boost threshold is very similar, though there is one clear improvement on all of the GT series and that is transient response.
Got some proof of that? On a 951? Seems you are willing to spout "I've seen" experience without giving any proof of what you have done and at the same time require John to provide more than his "I've seen" experience. Seems a bit hypocritcal to me.

Look at this scenario, John has proven what he can do with his turbo products on a 951. What exactly have you done? What have you proven works on a 951? And don't go spouting off about Nissans and Supras. I could quote a ton a stuff on RX7's that won't work the same on a 951.

You expect us to follow or believe you when there is nothing to you other than internet name and a reference book. As far as we know you could be a kid with a laptop and dreams of building a car someday. You may be smart and have read enough to know the basics of things but as for real world experience you have no proof to offer. John has hundreds of satified customers. That's his proof that what he sells works. Where is yours?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:35 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

..my point is that i find it more than a little hypocritical for someone to be constantly call for 'hard proof' then constantly presenting his own opinions as fact.
Exactly what I am saying.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

in other words you don't have the 'hard proof' that you are demanding of everyone else, vitesse in particular. an intake/piggyback combo on my lexus yielded 27rwhp, does that mean if i get an intake made by the same company and slap it on my wife's honda it's also going to gain 27rwhp?

The difference is I'm not a retailer trying to peddle my products off of those claims. I have no kind of financial incentive to do so. I'm simply stating my personal experience for everyone to take as they see fit. It is 100% ignorance to think that there aren't any general comparisons you can make between different cars. There are always differences that will affect results so that another car won't turn out identical, however you're only fooling yourself if you believe that our cars are so different they can't be compared to anything else.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Exactly what I am saying.
I have heard the same thing from this rennlist community. I honestly have no want to share my "proof" with the board except some old lame stuff or my sarcasm.

It is 100% ignorance to think that there aren't any general comparisons you can make between different cars.
No, lets face it the 951 motor is a mystery and understanding it is only something people with magical turbos can do. It actually has different physics then the outside world.

Quick Reply: After-Market Turbos