Old 03-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Porschefile, when you get the GT35 installed and running, I want to see how much boost you can run on pump gas. Have you ever tuned a 951? Do you think ignition has anything to do with limiting boost on pump gas? An idiot can retard the timing far enough to raise the boost a bit, in the process EGTs go up through the roof, and forget about any crisp response. Do you think a safety margin is needed, just in case someone get some bad fuel?
What are the parameters for boost vs pump gas?

I.E. what is an acceptable EGT, acceptable knock counts, 91 or 93 octane, ect.

Rogue
Old 03-01-2007, 07:55 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anders44
this thread is getting silly and very off topic.

a turbo you can just bolt directly on and have a finished map for is perfect for most people. but when doing everything custom I don't see the point.
Valid point..

@Pozican : I have had a LR stage 2 on my car and and now I have a Vitesse stage 2 kit.

First off if you are going the all custom route you better not be afraid of some metal work and special modifications to make it fit.
If this seems to much work , then both LR, Vitesse and SFR has some nice "bolt" on kits. I don`t know about SFR but their products seems to work very well.

On my car (kkk26/8 ) ( which at the time ad a DP wg , 3" exhaust and 55# simens injectors and a ) I`ve got max 274whp at 1.2bar . this was with the LR maf. spool up was 1 bar @ 2850rpm

Personaly I felt that the LR kit is a lot more work than the vitesse kit . I had trouble making the car idle right and it would sometimes stopp when coming from full boost and lifting of the throttle . Especially tuning wise It was more work .

The vitesse kit also took some minor modifications to fit, but this was mostly directed to fitting the turbocharger ( water jacket) . The AFR was almost spot on and the power delivery felt very good. When driving a bit sporty I would always be straight where I want to be in the powerband without making an effort . And even though the VR doesent spool as quick as the K26/8 on paper , in real life the VR turbo seems much faster ( and of course more power )

The main problem with the LR kit I felt was the software/chip , maybe it is much better now I don`t know . And for me it was difficult calling the guys @ LR for troubelshooting because of the time difference. And they where really slow responding to e-mails .
I felt i could not get the fully potential out of the setup. And when I wanted a new turbo anyway the choice was easy.
Not that the time with the VR kit has been trouble free, but it seems like a night and day difference.

Many of the faults I experienced with the LR maf would probably be due to other things failing and human error , but nevertheless.

I wonder when ST is going to write that book .. 951 engine tuning for dummies
Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a while, but these threads are so fun to read.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Speaking of Turbos...

I have a LR Super61 for sale. It has about 5,000 miles on it. It has #8 hot side with stage 5 wheel and is dry. I am only asking $750 for it, a great deal for someone.

I thought the Super61 was a little laggy on my 2.5L, but while doing 2.8L rebuild some huge cracks/exhaust leaks were found on the stock headers when the heat shields were pulled to have the headers coated. Despite the exhaust leaks this turbo made 350 rwhp at 16 psi and held 21 psi all the way to red line for 401 rwhp.

I am only selling it because I am going back wet and by the time all the mods are done to make it wet, it is cheaper for me to sell the dry turbo and buy a new wet one. I'm going back wet because I am just too lazy to raise the hood after a hard run. Which for me is just about any time I drive the car.

If you might be considering this turbo, it is at Lindsey Racing and I am sure they would be happy to modify it, ie. coat the hot side or change the compressor wheel and it would still be cheaper than new.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

It's so amazing that Vitesse customers are never the one to complain.
People that want the specs are always complaining, and none of them is a customer. Vitesse customers want performance, they got it, read their posts.

As I stated earlier, the MAF, the turbos and their configuration which I have tested or not, is my own business. There are many factors to take into consideration when providing a kit. If you have purchased a kit from me, and it did not perform as you expected then let me know the problem. If it's my fault and I don't make it right, then make it known.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default After Market Turbos

...did someone light a match?

What a vibrant community - oh the passion!

Robust debate - you gotta love it!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
Vendors who sell on a net board are absolutly the best. They don't need a shop, phone number or any other outdated means of contact and they have free counsil on the forums to defend them like the Leibstandarte. They are so obsessed with a drop in the bucket performance nitch on a certain car that they simply refuse to bring their genius to more modern or more challenging automobiles. Catch phrases like" get them while they last" "we are the best" "when they are gone they are gone "more exiting products coming soon but buy this now" are also a strike of exorbitant marketing knowledge which falls in the category of ground breaking.

Keep up the good work and I am sincerely touched that I can be a miniscule bystander in this revolutionary advancement of technology and marketing but one can hope that this incredible brain trust can perhaps be channeled to cure all diseases known to the automotive world .
It's great marketing isn't it!?! Got to be a salesman to sell stuff especially when the product has gotten decent reviews.

I don't think anyone here is doubting the advertised performance gain that is achieved with a Vitesse kit - there are obviously some satisfied customers.

From a Rennlist Member and 951 enthusiast's perspective, I share Porschefile's view on the importance of vendor honesty. It has appeared to me that many of the tactics and/or claims used to sell this stuff is questionable. Is it so wrong to point out some of these disputeable statements and question them? If there have been tests done to verify that a Garrett GT Series ball bearing turbo is inferior to a "worked" Vitesse turbo shouldn't that info be advertised especially when a Vitesse turbo costs more? There are just too many variables in turbo configurations to make such a broad statement. I'm sure the community wouldn't mind seeing an advertisement like "we've done back to back testing of various turbochargers and found that our Stg X turbo outperforms Garrett's GT30R or GT3071R or GT35R." Is this too much detail to ask for? How many people here are going to question and/or verify for themselves such a bold statement? With such a satisfied customer base, why would anyone want to right??

Believe it or not, there are still guys out there that want to know what they are buying for the sole purpose of learning, understanding and gauging for themselves the kind of increase they can expect from such a modification. It's called thinking for yourself - I don't know why it is so frowned upon in this forum. Just because some of these guys are questioning the mainstream doesn't mean that they're bashing anyone or looking for secrets. Does the fact that many if not all other performance car web forums talk openly about this stuff make you wonder why it is such a taboo topic over here? I'll take a stab in the dark and say that it may have something to do with the "P" word - profit $$$$$$

I think we all have to remember that this is information sharing forum based on furthering the performance of our beloved 951s. Why does the Vendor/Sponsor issue always have to get tied up in this goal? We want to share ideas of perfomance increases but more times than not, guys with an "out of the box" attitude are looked down upon cause they've got the ***** to question something when they see it.

Enough bickering!! Let's talk about things that will raise the performance level of our cars.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm always impressed when I see such in-depth technical discussion, but let's keep it civil and respectful, OK?

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:50 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geneqco
I understand that a turbo needs to be correctly sized (both on the hot side and compressor side) on a vehicle specific basis, to produce the desired result with maximum efficiency.

Suppose you have two turbochargers that comply with those sizing requirements, and one of these, by nature of its internal design, generates less friction and is therefore inherently more efficient in its operation than the other.

What I don't understand is how all this can suddenly change because of the vehicle you decide to use it in. Doesn't this involve the laws of physics that do not change - or have I missed something?
the turbo has to be sized for the application and what you want, and there is always a sacrifice of hp vs lag. a lot can be done looking at maps and doing drawings etc, but a lot of stuff works different in reallife

I had a bmw 728 (inline 6 2.8liter) with a GT40 turbo... that was very fun for drag and iceraceing etc, but until 3500 rpm you just sat there wondering what was wrong, then BAM it hit revlimiter, very little practical, but very cheap fun!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Randy V
I'm always impressed when I see such in-depth technical discussion, but let's keep it civil and respectful, OK?

Thanks.
No problem.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:57 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
The main problem with the LR kit I felt was the software/chip , maybe it is much better now I don`t know . And for me it was difficult calling the guys @ LR for troubelshooting because of the time difference. And they where really slow responding to e-mails .
I felt i could not get the fully potential out of the setup. And when I wanted a new turbo anyway the choice was easy.
Not that the time with the VR kit has been trouble free, but it seems like a night and day difference.

Many of the faults I experienced with the LR maf would probably be due to other things failing and human error , but nevertheless.

I wonder when ST is going to write that book .. 951 engine tuning for dummies
come by to checkout my car when it's done with vems. once ign and trigger is done it's easy to "copy" it and do a basemap before dyno.

ohh and in autumn I'll put my engine, ems, turbo, wg, exhaust, fuelpump etc up for sale and do something really radical.

where in .no are you?
Old 03-01-2007, 02:24 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

@Anders .. yes I woud most certainly come and check out your car

btw, I live in the "wild west" ..

sent you an PM on Evo
Old 03-01-2007, 02:33 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes - it's great to see folks who sell on the forums - actually Sponsor those same forums. Without them - you wouldn't be reading threads like these on Rennlist altogether.

However - it will also add to those who want to take "snipes" at Sponsors - I'm getting really jaded - and my 10 years of patience is running low... So, I'll say this...

If you (that means YOU if you are reading this) - have an issue with a Sponsor - email me in private. If you don't have an issue, as their customer - then I'd suggest you stop "dissing" them in public...

And yep - I also mean "RIGHT NOW"...

Now - I have to get to my other job - so my rant is off...

Have a nice day.

John D.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pauerman
Believe it or not, there are still guys out there that want to know what they are buying for the sole purpose of learning, understanding and gauging for themselves the kind of increase they can expect from such a modification. It's called thinking for yourself - I don't know why it is so frowned upon in this forum. Just because some of these guys are questioning the mainstream doesn't mean that they're bashing anyone or looking for secrets. Does the fact that many if not all other performance car web forums talk openly about this stuff make you wonder why it is such a taboo topic over here? I'll take a stab in the dark and say that it may have something to do with the "P" word - profit $$$$$$
+1

It's because people that ask alot of questions and do research outside of this community are well aware of the absurd prices some vendors in this community are asking. When questioned about pricing or their technology derivatives, they get defensive and closed lipped. That of course, only slows the growth and development of the 951 arena beyond it's already slowed growth. Yes, in the last year or so there have been major headways, but that is all relative. Relative to the rest of the automotive aftermarket world many in here agree how far we are behind the curve. And this goes for other "20 year old cars" out side ours that are staying ahead of the inovation curve.

Go into other car forums and post some of the "groundbreaking" things going on in the 951 world and see how many "LOL" you get as replies.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:40 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pauerman, how about some details about the AEM EMS on the 951? Throw in some details of your car while your at it!

Quick Reply: After-Market Turbos