Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

After-Market Turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
So you admit that you were aiming to build a kit for our cars? But now you changed your mind? What would it take to change it back? A customer base created here on Rennlist? And you claim not to have any potential financial incentives? For the record I never once considered building a kit for a 951. It never even entered the remotest regions of my consciousness. All I wanted was a kit that performed as well as claimed. That is the case for 99% of us here. John has always been forthright and truthful with me when it comes to the performance of his products. I'm the first guy to say keep it to the facts and not inflate expectations. I find it interesting though how several of the accusers are also vendors.
NO, not a turbo kit. Guess I should have clarified. At one point for a very short period of time, I thought, "hey, it would be cool to make some custom simple parts like adapter flanges for something, inexepensive strut tower bars, etc and sell them on the side just for fun". Anyways, there are lots of people here that do that sort of stuff with various solid bushings, pulleys, sway bar end links, etc as kind of an on the weekend type thing without any form of actual business plan and without really aiming to create profit. I guess you could say some do it as more of a service to the community. Anyways, that's all I thought about but, I really just don't have the patience at this point. I just want to get my car done and running already as it's been down way too long. I am in no way a vendor, have never considered being one or taking any sort of serious business-oriented approach to this community, am not sponsored by anyone, and am not here speaking my mind at the behest of anyone's financial or business interests. I'm just here as an individual to participate, learn some things, and bring my own experiences to the table.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pozican
You guys keep talking about physics like they are gonna change.

As an avid physicist, it really bothers me.
I don't think they will change.

I think the same rules apply to every motor its just the details that are different.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:24 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Super Top Secret, eh. Wow! How exciting! I can't wait. No surprise there. Are they going to name it after you? Call it the "Fishey" widget maybe? *lol*

As for the credentials....if you come on here and expect people to respect what you have to say while you try to disrespect and denigrate another respected individual - such as John - it helps if you also have some credentials to back yourself up. Sort of like how if you are going to call Einstein an idiot you will be taken more seriously if your name is Hawking and not Fishey or SoloRacer for that matter.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:27 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are all aware that John D., or another moderator will come around and close this thread?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:28 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fishey
I don't think they will change.

I think the same rules apply to every motor its just the details that are different.

Agreed. Physics isn't changing anytime soon. However understanding physics doesn't make one an expert at everything either. In all respect to Fishey I wouldn't want Stephen Hawking rebuilding my rotary engine either - no matter how well he understands the laws of physics. I don't think he knows the difference between e-shafts either.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:29 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
You are all aware that John D., or another moderator will come around and close this thread?
That is well within his domain. And that would be a bad thing.......why?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Super Top Secret, eh. Wow! How exciting! I can't wait. No surprise there. Are they going to name it after you? Call it the "Fishey" widget maybe? *lol*

As for the credentials....if you come on here and expect people to respect what you have to say while you try to disrespect and denigrate another respected individual - such as John - it helps if you also have some credentials to back yourself up. Sort of like how if you are going to call Einstein an idiot you will be taken more seriously if your name is Hawking and not Fishey or SoloRacer for that matter.
How about I could just call it what the previous person called it for a different application? OMG! but wait.. Since everything is different from car to car how could the same idea be applied to the Volvo? (Sarcasm) Its actually a combination of things that make it better then the previous solution. Also, amazing as this might sound the Volvo race cars didn't have this problem cause they have a really big budget and can build really cool parts that just are not in the budget of 99% of the Volvo owners even in the motherland. I guess thats something you don't understand.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:35 AM
Blueman33
Pro

Old 03-01-2007, 03:35 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fishey
How about I could just call it what the previous person called it for a different application? OMG! but wait.. Since everything is different from car to car how could the same idea be applied to the Volvo? (Sarcasm) Its actually a combination of things that make it better then the previous solution. Also, amazing as this might sound the Volvo race cars didn't have this problem cause they have a really big budget and can build really cool parts that just are not in the budget of 99% of the Volvo owners even in the motherland. I guess thats something you don't understand.

Aha! So you didn't build something better than the Volvo race cars because they don't have this "problem" as you say. Thank you for proving my point. You didn't do something better than them. You just did it cheaper and probably not as effectively as their solution. Now do YOU understand what I am getting at?

P.S. That is of course if this "thing" actually exists outside of your imagination. Don't bother telling us what it is because if you don't have your name written all over it there is no way for anyone to prove that you had anything to do with it.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

That is well within his domain. And that would be a bad thing.......why?
Look, I have completely valid concerns and have not come on here babling some infantile trash to waste space on the board. I've pointed out inconsistancies with John's posts and claims. I think vendor truthfulness is something everyone should be concerned about (not calling him a liar, simply saying sometimes things look a bit off from him) and discussed where appropriate. In case anyone forgot, I'm a paying member too. If no one questioned people from time to time, we'd still have crooks like Guru and Huntley around stealing people's money.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Aha! So you didn't build something better than the Volvo race cars because they don't have this "problem" as you say. Thank you for proving my point. You didn't do something better than them. You just did it cheaper and probably not as effectively as their solution. Now do YOU understand what I am getting at?

P.S. That is of course if this "thing" actually exists outside of your imagination. Don't bother telling us what it is because if you don't have your name written all over it there is no way for anyone to prove that you had anything to do with it.
Wow, So now I have to come out with an idea better then a factory race team with a really big budget? not just a better idea for a solution to a problem? So why even bother with the rotary? Does it mean those guys with all that expertise in the motor really are just retarded? I mean its not the best solution. Clearly there are better motors out on the market for everything. (Weight, Power, Fuel Econ) Hell, I mean since we are looking for the greatest I guess F1 motor swaps are what we should all be doing to are cars right?

(Note, how not serious I am being) or better yet maybe I can build a 10000000000000 Trillion dollar car that can go faster then a Topfuel car, out corner a F1 car, Hold 10 people in comfort + luggage, out stop a F1 car and last forever get 1000 miles to the gallon. I guess If I did that I would get your approval. Hell, I guess I will call it the Fishey mobile..

-Thanks for your input
Fishey
Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vendors who sell on a net board are absolutly the best. They don't need a shop, phone number or any other outdated means of contact and they have free counsil on the forums to defend them like the Leibstandarte. They are so obsessed with a drop in the bucket performance nitch on a certain car that they simply refuse to bring their genius to more modern or more challenging automobiles. Catch phrases like" get them while they last" "we are the best" "when they are gone they are gone "more exiting products coming soon but buy this now" are also a strike of exorbitant marketing knowledge which falls in the category of ground breaking.

Keep up the good work and I am sincerely touched that I can be a miniscule bystander in this revolutionary advancement of technology and marketing but one can hope that this incredible brain trust can perhaps be channeled to cure all diseases known to the automotive world .
Old 03-01-2007, 04:36 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
FYI - I don't disclose the specs on the turbos because it's a copy-cat world. The minute the specs are out, vendors will copy them. Any working person would understand this.. Yet it keeps coming up. My customers do not share the specs as they understand the reason behind it.

If a vendor really wanted to copy your turbos, they would have already. It is not as though another vendor couldn't simply buy a VR Stage X (from you unknowingly, or second-hand). Much more difficult things have been reversed-engineered...

Rogue
Old 03-01-2007, 06:26 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

this thread is getting silly and very off topic.

my turbo S is getting a GT30R 0.63AR that I will use for this seasons racing. hopefully in mid summer and in autumn I should have tested enough to have a full writeup of my impressions and some datalogs. should be able to post dyno papers within a few months, tuning goes towards response and endurance, meaning safe settings. it's gonna be a very very fast trackcar, not a dynoqueen and straightline king. 1/4 is for amcars.

and yes it's a full standalone with wb02, egt's and everything else is up to par.

a turbo you can just bolt directly on and have a finished map for is perfect for most people. but when doing everything custom I don't see the point.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to your posts Anders44. I think you are right and find personal attacks a waste of time.

I understand that a turbo needs to be correctly sized (both on the hot side and compressor side) on a vehicle specific basis, to produce the desired result with maximum efficiency.

Suppose you have two turbochargers that comply with those sizing requirements, and one of these, by nature of its internal design, generates less friction and is therefore inherently more efficient in its operation than the other.

What I don't understand is how all this can suddenly change because of the vehicle you decide to use it in. Doesn't this involve the laws of physics that do not change - or have I missed something?

Quick Reply: After-Market Turbos