Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AFRs and Timing advance/retard

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AFRs and Timing advance/retard

So what is everyone running at? I apologize for the recent dragging of another thread off topic of the thread, so I figured I would start one...

My car: 87 951, 205,000 miles, no idea about internal engine modification if any, but I believe it is stock, K26-6 Tired Turbo, 55lb injectors, 3 BAR FPR, I'm using MaxTune and an ostrich to modify the fuel and timing maps, and a full suite Zietronix setup (WB O2, EGT, MAP, RPM, TPS), Curtis Impulse counter to monitor knock, MBC set to 14PSI in 4th, but I am planning to back it down a little as my turbo is tired and leaky...

Cruise I am seeing 14.7+/-:1, Partial throttle all positions I dip to 12.5:1, WOT 2K RPM I am at 12.5:1 going progressively down to 11.4ish:1 at 6K RPM...

Fuel Maps:

Ignition Maps:

SOOOOO... who else out there in TV land is tuning their own ride, and what are you running, and what are your values for AFR/ Ignition timing/ any other bits...
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At your peak torque (when boost first peaks) I would richen it a little bit. That is where you are most likely to knock. Also, as I stated that is a lot of timing advance - you are running nearly as much advance as cars I've tuned with E85.
It is possible to have too much timing, but not knock. That usually isn't the case on pump-fuel, but can happen.

-Rogue
Old 07-25-2009, 09:57 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I need a dyno session...
Old 07-25-2009, 11:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

every time i see one of these increasingly complex graphs of yours it makes me want to find $400 to buy the maxtune/ostrich deal.

just to make sure that would all work with an NA computer right/
Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
every time i see one of these increasingly complex graphs of yours it makes me want to find $400 to buy the maxtune/ostrich deal.

just to make sure that would all work with an NA computer right/
Give me a little bit and I will be done with my 951 and move to my 88 N/A...

I'm gonna read the stock chips, and modify from there...
Old 07-25-2009, 11:48 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the thread I am interested in.
I see some saying never go leaner than 11.5:1 on boost, yet the VW guys are running 12.5:1.

I'm curious to see where everyone is at...
Old 07-25-2009, 11:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Give me a little bit and I will be done with my 951 and move to my 88 N/A...

I'm gonna read the stock chips, and modify from there...
ill pay you to do an eprom for me too
Old 07-26-2009, 12:00 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

ill pay you to do an eprom for me too
I'm not in that business, but I can tell you if it works or not... doing someone elses chips is more than I really want to get into... now, helping someone else figure it out.. I'm all over that like Lary Flint on .... ummm
Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does MaxTune allow for tuning 944NA applications?

-Rogue
Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

thats what were hoping to find out!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

So sayeth the drop down menu, so sayeth the software user guide... I will confirm this on my 88 N/A and report back...

My understanding is... IF it is a motronic DME, the software will work, as far as the ostrich goes... if it is a ECU the ostrich will work, but might need an adapter (they are MOSTLY targetted at Ford, GM and Honda)... but the chip booster works with our 24 pin DMEs and the ostrich is a direct plug and play into a 28 pin DME...
Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

john, before you bought maxtune did you have any previous computer tuning experience? or is it something you just picked up?

also are you using ostrich 1.0 or 2.0?

Last edited by V2Rocket; 07-26-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

john, before you bought maxtune did you have any previous computer tuning experience? or is it something you just picked up?
Yes, I have tuned before, Subarus and Hondas mostly, this is the most in depth I have gone on my own car though.. The software really isn't that difficult to manage or figure out...

It is a god send, especially if you start playing with the fuel supply (injectors or FPR), the air supply (MAF) or mechanical modifictions..

These engine have a lot of potential out of the box, the factory tunes were to guarantee longest reliability for decent performance, an individual car can be tuned MUCH tighter, but for the factory that would mean tuning each car individually and would limit the ability to replace parts down the road...

I went at this to see what I could manage myself, and feel I am very close to the end of the road (sure I could strap on a bigger turbo and retune and have some fun, BUT need to resolve some nagging issues on my bottom end (205K motor is tired) and to go further need to freshen up the motor.. that having been said, my car performs much better than it ever did before, the turbo is spooling much lower in the RPM band then it had been, and boost is much more potent... My AFRs are under control, where as before they had been all over the place..

I find the car much more enjoyable to drive now, but know there is much more potential for a much more potent solution.. I'm on the fence with doing a stroked big bore (>3L) or a mild rebuff (larger bore 101-104, stock crank) the low end torque of a 3L engine is awful attractive, but you have to pay to play and with 3L crank prices.... who knows at this point... for right now I'm over the moon with the performance of the software and the car..

I would definitely recommend the MaxTune SW to anyone who wants to maximize their car as it sits, and I believe short of installing a stand alone EMS this is about the only game in town to be able to tune the MaxTronic systems we are all running... Chips written by someone else can get you close, but fine tuning is a must if you want to maximize the results of mods...

My car is a 24 pin ECU (87 951) I had wanted to get hooked up with a Ostrich 1, but ended up getting an Ostrich 2 and using their Socketbooster (makes the Ostrich set to 28 pin mode talk to our 24 pin ECUs... after 88 all the ECUs are 28 pin and the ostrich 2 should be plug and play..
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

my main concern is with what looks like hex values, fuel map 079E or whatnot, do those need to be messed with? are there instructions with the maxtune? lol.

be forewarned you will be getting lots of PMs from me in the future
Old 07-26-2009, 02:41 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow,
That is an agressive timing map. How well does it work for you?
I may have to burn your values and see how it runs.

Quick Reply: AFRs and Timing advance/retard